Sign in to follow this  
b1002

Rear Window Louver

At a car show today and seen some 69 & 70 mustangs with rear window louvers. It wasn't something I was considering before but seeing it person, I'm on the fence if I want to get one for my 69 mustang or not. What do you all think about rear window louver, Yes or no? Thanks

I want to get the Ford Tooling louvers for mine. I think they give it the "Muscle Car" look from back in the day. They do lift up so you can clean the glass, plus they block the sun so the back seat area won't fade from exposure to the sun.

Agreed with the previous comments about louvers providing that extra bit of period muscle. They really set off the 69 and 70’s, especially with the black out hoods and other cosmetics. It’s a look that seems natural for these cars, more so IMO than any other muscle car of the period. And functional to boot.

Cheers,

T.

I ditched mine, and fabricated vintage Trans Am style aluminum window straps. They mount in the same holes the louvers used.

Crap picture, but you get the idea....

v7yrr8.jpg

What are TransAm window straps? What are they for?

I really like the 69-70's with the louvers, but it does give the car more of a later era (70's disco era?) muscle car look than a straight 60's muscle car. I like the look of both with and without the louvers for their own reasons. I was initially dead set on getting window louvers when I first bought the car, but have since then decided against it.

I bought my car from a friend and was waiting for him to deliver it. They where stolen 1 week before I got the car. I agree with most of the post here. They really do set the look of the late 60's early 70's cars. Spend the extra cash and get the ones with chrome hinges!

What are TransAm window straps? What are they for?

In the late 60's rear window straps became mandatory for most road race, and open track, cars. Rear windows tended to pop out at speed (due to excessive pressure inside the car), and they were a serious risk to vehicles behind them. So, they added window straps to help retain the glass. You will see them on nearly every vintage Trans Am race car, which is the theme I used on my Mach. So, I removed my Mach louvers, fabricated straps which mount in the same holes, and duplicated the look.