Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

When do you paint the Shaker hood Gloss Black or Semi Flat Black

I think I've narrowed down the exterior color. It's somewhere in the Red Metallic family. I was at a car show last Spring and saw a 69 that had a Gold base with Red Candy overlay, but it had a gloss black hood. I really like that color, but for me it will be too expensive and very hard to fix. The closest factory color I could find is a GM version called Crystal Red Tintcoat Metallic.

Now my dilemma is, when do you use Gloss or Semi-Flat on a Shaker hood?

Is there a rule of thumb that says to use Gloss on Metallic Paint and Semi-Flat on non-metallic paint, or does it matter.

I would like to paint my Shaker hood with the Semi-Flat, using the Red Metallic Paint.

What do you think looks best.

EurekaSprings2012004.jpg

EurekaSprings2012009.jpg

CrystalRedTintcoat.jpg

If your asking for opinions, I think the original Ford, Candyapple Red would look best. And I think a satin hood stripe and shaker would look best with it; anything but gloss or clearcoat.

I've seen multiple Mach 1 Mustangs with clear shot over the blackout area on the hood. I can understand why people would do this. But I think it's sucks all the cool out of the look which was the '69/70 Mach 1 Mustangs.

That's just my take.

Here you go:

http://paintref.com/cgi-bin/paintdetail.cgi?paint=1969%7CMustang%7CCandy%20Apple%20Red

Did the scoop have the same pebbly black finish as the stripe or was it a smooth flat black different than the stripe or? I have read that the top of the raised fins are Ford argent silver.

Edited by miketyler

Thanks Mike! That color is too bright. I'm shooting for the same color as in photo #1, but not a candy. I've seen something similar on a Corvette today.

In my first post, the 1969 does not have a shaker, but mine does thats why I'm asking.

Heres a side picture of the car above.

sturgis-2010-033-1.jpg

My 1969 Mach 1 is Meadowlark Yellow and the painter, with good reason, talked me into gloss black on the hood and scoop. Mine is not a clearcoat paint, just an Acrylic Enamel which I understand is the type originally applied. Anyway, the arguement was semi-gloss black or or flat black acrylic enamel will eventually look chaulky. This is probably true. Then you will be constantly trying to remove the chaulky haze. The Semi-Gloss black usually has a more aggressive look. But I think if you are not going with a clearcoat paint you might lean toward gloss black to avoid the chaulky haze.

why would it become chaulky? were these rattle can jobs or old lacquer?

This was not a rattle can or lacquer paint job. I don't know why they become chaulky. That was a big problem with the original Semi-Gloss paint on the hood back in the day. And I believe that was an enamel paint originally, not a rattle can or lacquer.

On another note, I am getting tired of Buckeye Demon's smart no-it-all comments.

The way I see it, my car isn’t going to be sitting out in the sun day in day out, so I can’t see it oxidizing the semi gloss black on my hood and I would think the products are better now a days. I just try to keep wax far away from that area or I use painters tape, and tape off the edge on the hood when I wax. Also, on Buckeye Deamon’s comment, it just looked like a question to me?

On another note, I am getting tired of Buckeye Demon's smart no-it-all comments.

please start a thread in the garage and link to what you believe are my smart no-it-all comments.

i would like to understand what you're referring to so i can potentially fix the issue. that will give others the chance to pile on me as well if they feel the same.

i would encourage you to comment back on these no-it-all comments in the future. the purpose of a forum is communication/discussion, presenting information and expressing thoughts/ideas.

sorry in advance for whatever was said.

please start a thread in the garage and link to what you believe are my smart no-it-all comments.

i would like to understand what you're referring to so i can potentially fix the issue. that will give others the chance to pile on me as well if they feel the same.

i would encourage you to comment back on these no-it-all comments in the future. the purpose of a forum is communication/discussion, presenting information and expressing thoughts/ideas.

sorry in advance for whatever was said.

OMG! ... This is probably the worst comment I have ever seen on this forum. One of the reasons I frequent here is the maturity level of the members and lack of drama. Dan, I really hope this guy apologizes. He obviously took something WAY the wrong way! Peace out!

OMG! ... This is probably the worst comment I have ever seen on this forum. One of the reasons I frequent here is the maturity level of the members and lack of drama. Dan, I really hope this guy apologizes. He obviously took something WAY the wrong way! Peace out!

+1 Wow I wish I had 1/4 of the talent, patience and dedication that BuckeyeDemon has put into his car, let alone the knowledge that he has shared along the way. By the way it is know-it-all and his comment seemed like a question to me also.

I know that others in the past have talked about using hot rod black or Mercedes Black to reproduce the semi-flat black. They also said it was more durable than the original.

Edited by Grabber70Mach

I'm not sorry to say I like the Dan the guy you have a problem with and can't wait for the work he is doing continue, sharing of it, knowledge and contribution to the site continue............

I'm refraing my self from typing something like - bad day?, sorry you're in a state of mind to not help others or.... just piss off as as reply to you:shifty:

Edited by MAD IN NC

ah forums.. aren't they great ---

ok.. so about 10 years ago i had the same response from a paint/body shop... they didn't want to paint my hood flat black at the time due to eventually it having a haze or showing water spots, or wax problems etc. they wanted to clear over it like the rest of the car, they did many many cars this way being a mustang only shop.. i didnt do it.. not what i wanted at the time..

forward to 2011... they painted my hood with hot rod flat black in the traditional paint scheme ... so far so good.. i have washed it and no water spots no problems etc ... your painter may not know about the hot rod flat black or may not like how it is applied who knows... but lots of options available.. go with what you like!!:thumbup1:

My intentions were to see if you guys knew or went by any rule of thumb stating when to use flat or gloss black on the shaker hoods when using a metallic paint, such as a Candy Apple or the newer types of Red seen on Corvettes.

I know the "It's your car, do what you want thing", but sometimes what I want may not be right and would be a costly mistake after the fact.

I'm shooting for a metallic paint job with the original black shaker hood color. I just didn't know if you all thought that it would clash.

The Hot Rod Flat Black is a very good option to consider. I've also considered the flat black currently used on the new Mustangs.

Thank you to all for your opinions.

Please feel free to continue the topic.