Sign in to follow this  
Daves69Coupe

2013 Mustang

Heres the link to spy shots "accidentally" released by Ford.

The 2013 Shelby will have 650hp and do 200mph.

Cant say I like the new front end and rear on the 2013 GT tho. Front grille looks like a charger.

http://autoholics.com/2011/11/<WBR>15/2013-Shelby-GT500-Equipped-<WBR>With--Most-Powerful-Production<WBR>-V8-In-The-World--581502#more

I don't like anything they have done to the new Mustang, I feel like it's been getting uglier each time since 2011. The only exception is the GT350, to me that car was modern perfection, they even managed to make the hideous rearend look fantastic. Everything else is a huge step backwards in my eyes though.

I don't like anything they have done to the new Mustang, I feel like it's been getting uglier each time since 2011. The only exception is the GT350, to me that car was modern perfection, they even managed to make the hideous rearend look fantastic. Everything else is a huge step backwards in my eyes though.

completly agree PAK, maybe if they took that outer red ring away from taillights I think it would look better. But they shouldnt have touched the front grill design from the 2011 2012 editions.

That red on the taillights has to go. The nose is bordering on rice if the grill and especially the lower opening get any bigger. Like the new Focus' nose, too ricey. Never liked the Focus anyhow.

I like it! I assume you guys have seen these cars on the streets by now. The 2011-2012 versions at least. I hated them when I first saw pictures of them, but that all changed when I saw them going down the road. Now, I think they look mean! I will admit, took a while to accept the tail lamps but I warmed up to them.

I think the problem ford is having is the 2005-2010 will be the best the modern muzzy can look. Just like the 67-70 stang is the best they will ever look. How do you keep selling cars if you can't change them and make them look any better? They have to make small changes that may not be the right thing to do, but they have to do something. Otherwise no one is going to upgrade to the new model. And how much more power can these things have? How much more handling? So revisions like these aren't going to sell more ponies. They have a real conundrum on their hands.

I like it. The design keeps getting more 'modern' in my opinion -- it sure as heck makes the roads more interesting, rather than having to stare at a sea of plain old Cruze's, Camry's, Civic's, Corolla's and mini-vans.

I'm sure the price will be enough to choke a horse though.:lol: In the past few years, American car manufacturers have seen a rebirth of sorts for some of their vintage vehicles, resuscitating classic cars with new features. They've also began an arms race for horsepower, packing the modern street rods with dizzying amounts of power. Chevrolet is launching a 580-horsepower Camaro, and Ford recently disclosed information on the 2013 Shelby GT Mustang. The brand new Shelby GT will produce 650 horsepower and top 200 miles per hour. I've read the article here: Horsepower arms race is on with 2013 Ford Shelby GT Mustang.Well,the technology offered in its class is far superior.Great job Ford!:cool:

Well my daily driver is one of the older 2011 Shelby GT-500’s with “only” 550 hp (LOL). The car is unbelievable. All my daily drivers since 1970 have been Mustangs. My first new car was a 1970 Grabber Sportsroof Mustang. The 69/70 Mustangs were always my favorites and I’ve owned three over the years. My first, I held on to for 22 years, another for four years, and then my present 1970 Mach I for the last eight years. I never owned a Mustang II (1974 to 78) but I have driven ones owned by others. I did briefly drive a 1971 Mach I in the later 70’s and owned two different 5.0 LX Fox-bodies in the late 80’s and 90’s as well as the later SN-95’s.

My last daily driver was a ’03 Mach 1. There was a lot of heritage in that Mustang I could relate to from the 1969/70 years. The shaker hood scoop and the dual podded dash were the main things but I felt I was driving a modern version of my favorite Mustang.

The modern Shelby GT-500’s are entirely different animals. They out-brake, out-handle, and will clearly run off and hide from any other production muscle Mustang series built. You say, “Yeah, but it’s a Shelby”. No, actually it’s a “Ford”. It does not go to the Shelby plant in Las Vegas and get the “Shelby” treatment like the Shelby GT, Shelby GT-350’s and Shelby GTS cars. These are built by Ford and come straight from the Ford Factory to the Ford dealership. For all practical purposes, it’s the “Mustang Cobra” if Ford still built one and if Shelby’s contract expires or he decides to depart Ford again, the GT-500 will become the “Cobra” again.

The sad part is (not really); it is such a quantum leap in technology that it has lost that heritage connection with the classic Mustang years. I feel like I’m driving a Lincoln powered by a Saturn 5 Moon Rocket that goes around corners like I sitting on a flat sheet of plywood. I have to shut my mouth, grit my teeth, and grunt like an F-16 fighter pilot to keep from over G’ing my body and blacking out (LOL).

What’s it like driving daily with 550 hp (much less 650)? Technology through computers and electronics has made it easy. Stay out of the throttle and under 4000 rpms and your grandmother could drive it to Church every Sunday. It inches along in bumper to bumper traffic with the air conditioning on high and the stereo blasting out your favorites on the hottest of summer days like a city bus. Past 4000 rpms is where a monster lives called the Supercharger. It will make your passengers have a religious experience as they grip the comfy leather seat and say out loud, “OH MY GOD”.

My personal favorite was riding down a two-lane secondary road with my wife at about 50 mph with a 55 mph limit. I came up on a logging truck doing all he could do to maintain the 50 or so he was trying to get up to. There were lots of curves and double yellow lines but finally a half mile or so straight came up with no yellow no-passing lines. Not a problem for me in most of the Mustangs I’ve ever driven but I could always count on a comment from my wife about, “You’d better be careful I see a car coming in the other lane way up the road”. This time as I dropped it down to third and eased the peddle to the floor and all I heard a slight sigh as she started to say something, but was out, by and back in the correct lane before she could get the first word out. That’s when I knew I finally had the perfect Mustang.

Will the 2013 do 200 mph? Well, Popular Mechanic’s Magazine took a 2010 with 540 hp and 200 pounds heavier with its iron block to the Bonneville Salt Flats in 2010. Only thing done to it was to remove the electronic top speed limit of 155 mph. They were able to hit the redline/fuel cutoff of 6250 rpms in 5<SUP>th</SUP> gear at nearly 185 mph. The 2013’s have a 7000 rpm redline and 3.31 vs 3.55 axle ratio. Yeah, I think it’ll do it.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

Edited by 70Mach03

I'm taking a welding class at the local VoTec this month, a kid in my class has the 2012 GT - very nice looking car (taillights grew on me too) with lots of power (he took me for a ride), but I'm not a fan of the sound. He's got an aftermarket exhaust with headers on it and it sounds like a raspy V6!

I thought he had just stuck 5.0 badges on a V6 at first. The classics and fox body 5.0's just sound sooooo much better (like a real mustang should).

A friend of mine has a 2007 GT500. He has been working on it and has all kinds of goodies. He told me that the fastest he has had the car was 145 and he was still in 4th gear. Said he was scared to use the other 2 gears and slowed down...LOL