Sign in to follow this  
1969 coupe

Which brand Oil filter?

This is not really a Mustang only question, but I figure most people on here do most maintenance on their own vehicle. Just curious what type oil filer you use on your Stang and other vehicles. If you want to add what brand oil you use that would be OK.

Just curious because I had a leak from my filter this morning on my truck. It is a Motorcraft filter and seems to have developed a leak from the casing. I know most of us are Ford guys and prob have an F series and hoped I could find out if this is common or just bad luck.

Just curious because I had a leak from my filter this morning on my truck. It is a Motorcraft filter and seems to have developed a leak from the casing. I know most of us are Ford guys and prob have an F series and hoped I could find out if this is common or just bad luck.

Where is it leaking from the case? Can you post a picture? Did you ensure the old O ring gasket came off with the old filter before putting on the new one? If it is "double gasketed," that may be your leak. It is also possible that something was kicked up off the road while driving and put a small hole in it. I've never seen that happen personally, but I've heard of it. IOt is alos possibly manufacturer defect. In that case, I would think you could exchange it for free at the auto parts store where you bought it.

Where is it leaking from the case? Can you post a picture? Did you ensure the old O ring gasket came off with the old filter before putting on the new one? If it is "double gasketed," that may be your leak. It is also possible that something was kicked up off the road while driving and put a small hole in it. I've never seen that happen personally, but I've heard of it. IOt is alos possibly manufacturer defect. In that case, I would think you could exchange it for free at the auto parts store where you bought it.

It is not doubled up, I have done that in the past so I always check that and double check that. I have not changed it for a while so that may have something to do with it. The filter has some rust on it so I am hoping a replacement will cure the problem.

I have seen several oil filters cut open and for a non-race filter the Wix (also Napa Gold) is the best and most robust made. If I can't get the Wix I will use a Motorcraft. Although I have seen at least half the Motorcraft filters leak at the seam where the canister is attached to the base.

Remember it is also important to look where the filter is manufactured in past. Motorcraft (and others) contracts are shopped around every year. Alot of the manufacturing is now gone to Mexico. Not saying that this means better or worse quality but what you are buying today may only have the brand name in common with what you bought last time.

I have seen several oil filters cut open and for a non-race filter the Wix (also Napa Gold) is the best and most robust made. If I can't get the Wix I will use a Motorcraft. Although I have seen at least half the Motorcraft filters leak at the seam where the canister is attached to the base.

the shop i had my motor dyno done used only wix, they talked me into it..

Just curious....Why is everybody against Fram? I never heard of Wix until I saw a friend of mine use them in his business. I read something a long while back about Napa Gold being the best filter.

Cheap internals. Fram spends money on marketing instead or materials.

I agree with Max Power, Fram uses cheap internals and construction. Napa Gold filters, oil, air, and fuel, are Wix filters with Napa Gold stickers on them. In my opinion Wix filters, oil, air, and fuel are superior to Fram's. Most people that do their own auto service are aware of Fram because of Fram's marketing.

I think the Bosch Distance Plus filters are by far the best oil filters for the money. Mobil 1, K&N, Wix, Napa Gold, Bosch and Purolator PureONE are pretty good filters as well.

For Oil, I'd say that Valvoline and Mobil 1 Synthetics are about the best reasonably priced ones out there. Royal Purple and Amsoil are very good but they aren't worth the price premium to me. Castrol is sneaky and used to advertise their Syntec as true synthetic when it's not so don't waste your money, and I've never forgiven Penzoil and Quaker State for the crap they were putting out 20-30 years ago so I can't give an honest opinion on their latest stuff.

No matter what brand you use, if you stick to 3k conventional oil changes, and 12 month synthetic oil changes you should never have any type of oil related failure.

Lastly, if your motor is still using a hydraulic flat tappet cam don't skip on a zinc additive or use a high zinc oil to protect the camshaft. (I used to use 1/4 of a quart of Lucas Engine Break in oil additive at each oil change before I upgraded to a hyd roller camshaft)

Edited by MaxLT

I'm using Motorcraft as well .. Purolator I've heard is good as well .. figure they've been around this many years..

staying away from Fram .. Had one clog up on me and had to rebuild the engine