Sign in to follow this  
Pyetime

Disc brake conversion?

My 69 has drum brakes so I am looking to convert the front now and the rear later but I have a question about performance between power and non power discs. Am I going to see a huge difference in stopping performance between the power and the non? What do you all suggest? Thanks in advance!

Both of my 69's have been converted and the difference is out of this world! While the drums were ok and did stop the car the power discs pull it up much quicker and with confidence. I would not advise you to fit the kelsey hays disc conversion package as I do not think it is as good as the factory 69 power disc set up. Just my 2c.

Yea I was like that, so many choices and no knowledge. I ended up with the CSRP kelsey hayes kit and I kinda wish I didn't. It was very easy to fit but I did not like a couple of things about it and as I said they do not perform as well as the factory setup. Fitting the factory style booster is a little more work than the CSRP kit because you have to elongate a couple of holes and drill out the mounts. But for the performance gain I think it was worth the trouble. Another thing I do not like is the remote adjustable proportioning valves. There is not alot of room in the engine bay to mount one easily and under the car isn't the best place for it either. And they are also illegal here.

People always use stopping distance as a measure for this upgrade, but for me the huge difference is in fade. I had a 69 Mach with a 428 4speed and 4 drums, and the first stop was fine. After that, it was both feet with all your might while pulling the steering column out of its moores just to get the thing to stop. The heat buildup was insane.

I put the manual disk in my 70 428 cougar and they work very well, the power would fit but with bb very little room to work...I also used the csrp and was not real happy with missing parts...I used a stock porportioning valve since I also did not like the adjustable one....but with 4wheel disk you might have to...

The Granada upgrade in my opinion works very well, and was easy to install, plus you can pick up a kit for 800 or so with everything.

The SSBC stuff on my friends mustang is not as good so far as stopping power as i am concerned.

Mike

I just converted to front power discs from csrp using the 99+ pbr calipers and the differnce is incredible. Ive owned 6 mustangs and it went from the WORST stopping one to the best. The booster was a huge pain to fit as its large and it was hard to get the bolts in as theres NO room but I got it with a lot of sweat and blood. And you dont have to use the adjustable prop valve.

Both of my 69's have been converted and the difference is out of this world! While the drums were ok and did stop the car the power discs pull it up much quicker and with confidence. I would not advise you to fit the kelsey hays disc conversion package as I do not think it is as good as the factory 69 power disc set up. Just my 2c.

I have the stock factory PDB setup & after rebuilding everything twice (and the booster once) I still feel as if I have to really step on the pedal to get it to stop. Fast idle almost requires 2 feet! I don't have anything to compare it to, but I don't like it. I'm thinking of upgrading to a dual diaphram booster or at least trying to squeeze an extra vacuum can in there, but I just can't get over the feeling that the stock setup should run better... sigh.

I have the stock factory PDB setup & after rebuilding everything twice (and the booster once) I still feel as if I have to really step on the pedal to get it to stop. Fast idle almost requires 2 feet! I don't have anything to compare it to, but I don't like it. I'm thinking of upgrading to a dual diaphram booster or at least trying to squeeze an extra vacuum can in there, but I just can't get over the feeling that the stock setup should run better... sigh.

Do you have a big cam? My coupe has a pretty large cam and can be like that as there is not alot of vaccum available at low revs. It's the one with the kelsey hayes CSRP setup. I really find the stock setup to be very good at any speed with the stock 351W Mach1.

Do you have a big cam? My coupe has a pretty large cam and can be like that as there is not alot of vaccum available at low revs. It's the one with the kelsey hayes CSRP setup. I really find the stock setup to be very good at any speed with the stock 351W Mach1.

No, I have a stock cam & engine & I'm running about 18"-19" of vacuum.

I have been having trouble with my factory power disc brakes so I picked up a Granada setup at a local salvage yard. It turns out the problem was probably with my disti valve or proportioning valve. I will probably sell the Granada setup I have, if you are interested. I know I can unload it on ebay if you are not.