Sign in to follow this  
1969 coupe

Favorite Tools, Equipment, Must Haves, ETC...

This is probably already somewhere on here, but couldn't seem to find what I am looking for. Just trying to see what tools and equipment are worth purchasing. I have little experience, but I have decided I want to learn as much as I can. I would rather spend money on stuff that I can use as opposed to paying someone else so basically I get the tools for what I would pay someone else, if that makes sense. I am going to try and do a somewhat complete resto over a decade or two (I started 16 years ago so bout 4 years left). Prob going to do most things other than paint but I may try that one too. I am looking for favorite items, must haves, any specialty tools, or a just want tools (time savers). It can be as simple as brake tools, manuals or as complicated as a welder. Really anything that is worth investing in or that will be needed. Feel free to post multiple items and prices if you feel like it. I am going to try and rebuild as much as possible including P/S, Man drums, anything else that I can take off and clean are repair. Prob not going to tear into the motor or trans if that helps.

Options (or not) -302 2V, P/S, Man Drums, Auto (may do a AOD swap later), Factory A/C but removed by PO

Stuff I Have Now

THIS SITE - PRICELESS

A Garage, finally (not really a tool but sure is nice) standard wiring

I have some basic tools sets

Cordless tools

Nothing really specific to automotive, mostly woodworking stuff

Almost forgot - Beer Fridge

Edited by 1969 coupe

can't go wrong with a set of SAE Craftman wrenches - I like the ratchet box ends since they fit tight spaces and only need 5 degree of movement to operate. They come in all kinds of shapes and sizes.

Yeah I have some I bought for my previous job when they were on sale around Christmas, too bad they are all metric. Wasn't planning on needing any SAE, just my luck. Keep em coming.

I was the same school as you, I hate to pay someone to do something when I can spend the cost of labor on a new tool and then own when I am done.

The best tool I invested in when I decided to restore as much of my car as I could myself, a compressor. Now granted I bought mine in 2004 right after the accident but I got this great starter set with all shown here for $235. Of course I now would love a bigger more powerful one to go beyond my car interest and get air nailers, sanders, sawzall, etc but hey there is always a bettwer want than what you have. This thing saved my life, I have used every tool it came with several times in the resto and bought several more, I love it!

100_0100.jpg

Volt/Ohm meter is a must have tool.

I have a Fluke and it has worked flawlessly for over 20 years.

I would not have thought about that. Not sure how to use one, but guess I will learn when I get to that point in my build. Great suggestions so far, keep em coming.

My most prized tool is my prescription for Valium. Padded walls near the car would have been good too because those solid timber ones damn near broke my hand. Also a couple of very large hammers. :hammer:

Can you send me some of those pills? I'm probably going to need them too. Padded wall is a good idea for me as well.

The best tool that I have is an understanding wife.....hahahahaha

I would say that probably trumps tools, skill, or money. I don't have a wife, but a very understanding woman so I know that is really important. Great suggestions so far, making a list for stuff I need so keep em coming.

1: dremel tool

2: punches and chisels

3: 2 or 3 ton floor jack and at least 3 pairs of very tall jackstands

4: ratcheting wrench set

5: lots of different length sockets in 1/2, 3/8 and 1/4" (deep and shallow)

6: a flex handle ratchet

7: an impact driver (the kind you hit with a hammer)

8: timing light with dial back feature

9: blast cabinet

10: large air compressor and a nice set of air tools and paintgun

11: various screwdrivers

12: cordless drill, impact, flashlight and sawzall

13: various prybars

14: large workbench and a small portable workbench like a Workmate

15: suspension tools, like pitman and idler arm pullers, pickle forks, etc

16: welder or a friend with one

17: various pliers, vise grips and clamps

18: some sort of torch, propane, oxy/acetylene, etc

the above list will get you through about 95% of every job on restoring a classic car of any type.

i have all these except the welder but i do have a friend with one.

I'd also suggest you don't waste your money on specialty tools that are seldom used like say pullers for example. Many auto parts store like say Autozone for example while almost useless to you when it comes to quality counter help does offer a free loaner program of many specialty tools and it's a good thing to make use of.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/inourstores/lat/latLanding.jsp

This was the single best idea they came up with. My guess is at some point they realized that many of the expensive specialty tools they sell were being returned after folks were done with them so what the heck, let's just offer it up front, the list is pretty extensive.

:thumbup: Great list of items. I was hoping this was a hobby a poor man could afford but I guess not. By purchasing all this stuff, I guess that gives me a good excuse to get another project after I get this one done. HaHa Some tools I didn't even know existed so feel free to add to my list with some stuff the normal (well somewhat normal) person wouldn't even know about. Thanks

My favorite tool is the right one for that particular job. Nothing worse than doing the job with the wrong tool... except maybe not knowing how to do the job at all, lol.

If you have any rusty panels to fix a cut off wheel, pilot point drill bits, a shrinking hammer, an auto body dolly, c clamps, welding vice grips, a small name brand 110v mig is sufficient for anything on these cars, etc. and a dual orbital sander for finish work.

Simple tool but very useful is a cotter pin removal tool.

Its bent end with a point can be used for so many other things that just removing cotter pins. Like locating hole thru the carpet,headliner, window install and ect.

When buying tool get the better grade ones, I have some that are over 40 yrs old and are still like new after alot of use.

I know that you are all thinking it, but the 69stang.com website is probably the best tool that I have found so far, bar none. It provides, advice, photos, know how, endless build possibilities, and a place to go when you have run out of ideas....

I agree completely on this. That was first on the list of stuff I have already. To be honest if I didn't have this site I probably wouldn't even attempt to try and work on my car. It's been sitting for 15-16 years and hadn't even considered trying to work on it until I found this site. I know any problem I have somebody knows the answer or will lead me to it.

:thumbup: Great list of items. I was hoping this was a hobby a poor man could afford but I guess not. By purchasing all this stuff, I guess that gives me a good excuse to get another project after I get this one done. HaHa Some tools I didn't even know existed so feel free to add to my list with some stuff the normal (well somewhat normal) person wouldn't even know about. Thanks

actually a basic 75 pc. "mechanics" tool set will probably do 85-90% of the stuff you need to do and what it doesn't cover you can either pop for a piece at a time as the need arises or use the AutoZone (advance, NAPA, etc) loan a tool program. you can usually even rent engine hoists and transmission jacks from the local U-Haul if needed as well. also certain tools you can get from harbor frieght if you only need them occasionally.

My favorite tool is the right one for that particular job. Nothing worse than doing the job with the wrong tool... except maybe not knowing how to do the job at all, lol.

If you have any rusty panels to fix a cut off wheel, pilot point drill bits, a shrinking hammer, an auto body dolly, c clamps, welding vice grips, a small name brand 110v mig is sufficient for anything on these cars, etc. and a dual orbital sander for finish work.

I agree, nothing worse than trying to use a sledge hammer and a chain for an hour trying to remove your rear axles. And then hiring a slide hammer and removing them in 10 seconds flat. The right tools for the right job will help you enjoy your project build instead of loathing it. And if they let you borrow them like they do at Autozone? then much the better.

I just purchased a set of car dollys. Makes for ease of moving a disabled car. Also, my favorite besides the fridge full of beer, is a good vise. I picked up a Wilton 6" vise on ebay for about $275. It is heavy duty and can take a beating for anything to need. Like Pak said, I bought the same compressor he did. Works great. Also have some friends to invite over to help with some heavy/2 person jobs. Also get in good with a machine shop. Never know when you might need a custom bracket or something to have made or done.

I agree, nothing worse than trying to use a sledge hammer and a chain for an hour trying to remove your rear axles. And then hiring a slide hammer and removing them in 10 seconds flat. The right tools for the right job will help you enjoy your project build instead of loathing it. And if they let you borrow them like they do at Autozone? then much the better.

The "poor man's" slide hammer for removing rear axles is to take a drum and put it on backwards over the studs after removing all the hardware, then put the lug nuts on just enough so they cover the end of the stud. Then just yank on the drum against the lug nuts until the axle slides out. This has worked for me every time.

Great suggestions and tips. Anybody know where to get luck, skill, knowledge, and money at? I guess I get a lot of knowledge from here because a lot of you seem to know your stuff. Any suggestion on the other three? I probably need some books with plenty of pictures, diagrams, and how to's. Any suggestions on what I need as far as manuals, books, diagrams and so on?

Edited by 1969 coupe