mattwash08

17x8/9 sc style wheels on 69 fastback??

Yup, I noticed that too. In early pics he was running BFG G-force 315's. You could tell from the unique tread pattern in the pic below. I was trying to model my car after his build even running the same tire but the clearance was just too tight and ultimately went with the narrower Nitto 315's. Its probably not over as I havent driven the car yet but I have much more clearance with the Nittos than I did with the BFG's. Also, I am running 17x11 TTII in the rear.

Edited by miketyler

In the Popular Hot Rodding spread the car is running the 315/35/17 but in the Fleabay ad it's running 285/40/18. Me thinks the fit wasn't good in the mag spread but damn it sure looked nice!

i recently spoke at length with mr. flores about the setup on the car & he said the car had always run 17's but were changed out for 18's when it went to SEMA. i will also add that he was a great guy to talk to & i really appreciated his time/advice & exchanging ideas.

An internet search on mustang wheel "fitment" will give you lots of hits on good info about different tires/wheels etc - like these:

http://www.mustangmonthly.com/techarticles/mump_0507_ford_mustang_large_wheels_fit/viewall.html

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_0612_wheel_and_tire_guide/viewall.html

http://www.dodgestang.com/Tire%20Fitment%20Guide%2069-70.pdf

Seems to be a gillion options.

I'm more partial to the classic rims - tt's or magnums myself. Btw - bad headlight swich will cause dash lights not to work

It was a bad headlight switch, figured that out a few months ago and got it fixed after having no dash lights for about 2 years haha. Well found a killer deal on some silver 18x9/10 saleen replicas off the 99-04 body style cars. Ill either be picking those up this weekend or if the deal falls through surfing craigslist some more until i either find something or pull the trigger on these sc replicas. I want to push my luck with some x9's up front... but everyone is telling my they wont work.. may have to get the saleens narrowed if i do pick them up

well after all of that.. I actually picked up some bullitts for a good deal this morning before work. Factory Anthracite 17x8's up front on some 235/50rz17 meats and some 17x10.5 repro's with nitto 315/35 drag radials out back. The color of the repro's arent spot on, theyre lighter, more of an actual silver color. But im not worried about it. all tires have good tread and it they look that bad, Ill paint the centers black on all of them. cant wait to try and stuff them. Need to pick up new lugs, and dig out the BFH in the garage haha

5L55Fa5H73F43Jd3H9c476e6a974e759819c7.jpg

Edited by mattwash08

well after all of that.. I actually picked up some bullitts for a good deal this morning before work. Factory Anthracite 17x8's up front on some 235/50rz17 meats and some 17x10.5 repro's with nitto 315/35 drag radials out back. The color of the repro's arent spot on, theyre lighter, more of an actual silver color. But im not worried about it. all tires have good tread and it they look that bad, Ill paint the centers black on all of them. cant wait to try and stuff them. Need to pick up new lugs, and dig out the BFH in the garage haha

5L55Fa5H73F43Jd3H9c476e6a974e759819c7.jpg

And pick-up spacers 1" for the front and around 7/16ths for the rear, also find you will probably need longer wheel studs.

yep, picked up 1" spacers for the front last week. going to test fit hopefully tomorrow and i will assess what I need in the rear as far as spacers and longer studs. Need to run up to discount or wherever and see how cheap I can get a set of lug nuts as the ones with my old wheels wont work

And pick-up spacers 1" for the front and around 7/16ths for the rear, also find you will probably need longer wheel studs.

Just did a quick test fit with one of the rears and youre right. where did you get your longer studs? Im not sure what diamater Knurl to get on the studs.. Im on a budget so ebay is probably the cheapest... just dont want to order the wrong thing

where did you get the spacers for the rear as well?

Thanks

Edited by mattwash08

Old tires on outside/new on inside..

IMG_20120409_143709.jpg

test fit one front with the 1" spacers and I think theyll work great even after I get the front end down some. Also test fit the drivers side rear using the other 1" spacer I have and it pokes out just past the fender. Have some ARP studs ordered so i can swap those out and run about 7/16" as Grabber70 said. Probably going to have to run about a 5/8" spacer on the passenger side as my rear is offset a little. here are some cellphone pics of the mock-up.

IMG_20120409_181649.jpg

IMG_20120409_143147.jpg

IMG_20120409_143055.jpg

IMG_20120409_143203.jpg

IMG_20120409_143212.jpg

IMG_20120409_181753.jpg

They look great, now you just to lower it about an inch. :)

yep thats the plan. Im running 5 leaf reverse eye leafs and have 1" blocks but i pulled them out since the front is sitting so high right now. Im debating to just cut these front coils some or throw my others that are already cut back in. My concern with my previously cut coils though is that when i have the front end off the ground there is no tension on the coils and they can wobble around and twist freely and get misaligned..

Edit: just realized i didnt look into running a longer spacer at the top of the shock to try to limit the droop as much as possible. I will look into that!

heres my old coils right after I cut them, they actually settled down another 1-1 1/2" and my old worn out rear leafs that were completely shot. lol

098.jpg

heres how it currently sits with the new coils un-cut and the new leafs without the 1" blocks installed.

IMG_20120327_175408.jpg

Edited by mattwash08

Just did a quick test fit with one of the rears and youre right. where did you get your longer studs? Im not sure what diamater Knurl to get on the studs.. Im on a budget so ebay is probably the cheapest... just dont want to order the wrong thing

where did you get the spacers for the rear as well?

Thanks

Sorry for the delay

ARP 100-7703 studs

I used the Vintage Venom spacers that came with their brake kit.

mattwash08 - You sure made the right choice, they look great on your car.

I'm liking this set up the more I look into it. I've always been a big fan of 15" wheels, but I can't find a Torq Thrust in a 15x10 w/ a 5" bs, so I'm slowly turning to 17's. From reading this thread and Grabber70Mach's, I'm concerned about the safety issue. How safe are spacers with cornering and hard acceleration. I don't know if I fully understand, you have to add a 1" spacer to the leafsprings as they do with trucks?

mattwash08 - You sure made the right choice, they look great on your car.

I'm liking this set up the more I look into it. I've always been a big fan of 15" wheels, but I can't find a Torq Thrust in a 15x10 w/ a 5" bs, so I'm slowly turning to 17's. From reading this thread and Grabber70Mach's, I'm concerned about the safety issue. How safe are spacers with cornering and hard acceleration. I don't know if I fully understand, you have to add a 1" spacer to the leafsprings as they do with trucks?

My car doesnt see track time so im not doing any super hardcore cornering on a road course, Im confident the 1" bolt-on spacers in the front will be strong enough. And I am going to be running the ARP studs out back with a very small spacer so the tires dont rub the leaf springs.

The 1" block spacer between the axle and leaf springs will just lower the rear end. As I said i dont track the car so none of these things really worry me.

How safe are spacers with cornering and hard acceleration. I don't know if I fully understand, you have to add a 1" spacer to the leafsprings as they do with trucks?

Lots of race cars run them, and even our American Iron road race car runs spacers. They ad to track width, which helps in cornering. Just be sure to use longer, stronger, wheel studs (like ARP).

I'm with you on that. I didn't mean to imply that I would be racing. My vehicle would be a week end cruiser, some street racing and driving to other car shows. Years ago, I lifted a truck with springs, axle blocks and a body lift and it wasn't a soft ride, but it just seems be an unique exception to do this to a Mustang. Maybe this has been done for some time and is new to me. I was wondering if others on this site have done the same as what your doing and how they feel about the performance results.

I'm with you on that. I didn't mean to imply that I would be racing. My vehicle would be a week end cruiser, some street racing and driving to other car shows. Years ago, I lifted a truck with springs, axle blocks and a body lift and it wasn't a soft ride, but it just seems be an unique exception to do this to a Mustang. Maybe this has been done for some time and is new to me. I was wondering if others on this site have done the same as what your doing and how they feel about the performance results.

Ive seen a few on here and some of the camaro guys do it. with only a 1" block you arent affecting the performance too much, atleast not in my opinion. then again, Im only 22 so what do i know! :donatello:

If you can, send some photos showing both sides front and rear. I'm interested on your final results. Thanks, John

will do, studs should be in later this week then ill use some washers to see exactly how much spacer i need on each side. then either pick up spacers or order them if i have to. car is about 45 min away from me right now at my parents house though so i only get to go work on it on mondays.

Got a lot done last night and today. got the studs swapped out. Pulled out the stock length front springs and put my cut springs back in. I had put on the 1" rear lowering blocks last week. I also changed the oil and went and got it inspected today. NOWW Im just trying to deal with a squealing belt issue that I am going to try and remidy with a new alternator belt in the morning. used two 5/16" spacers on drivers side(5/8" total) and three of them on the passengers side(15/16" total). On to the pics!(all cell pics tho..)

stock spring next to one of my cut ones

IMG_20120416_125610.jpg

and just some of how the car sits now

IMG_20120416_161554.jpg

IMG_20120416_161439.jpg

IMG_20120416_161419.jpg

IMG_20120416_161319.jpg

IMG_20120416_161252.jpg

IMG_20120416_161348.jpg

IMG_20120416_161605.jpg

IMG_20120416_184000.jpg

IMG_20120416_233236.jpg