Sign in to follow this  
Jayru

Proper way to fill gas without it dumping all over the car?

Cruzzar, nice work! did it solve the problem? Does it just prevent gas from pouring out, or actually let you fill at full speed also? I always sort of assumed part of the problem is that our tanks are not vented, and that caused the fuel to back out. oops, just read, you don't have it in yet... cant wait to hear if it worked!!

Out here in Oregon, you are not allowed to pump your own gas. That being said, I go to the same station and they let me pump my own. I grab a couple of paper towels from the gas station dispenser, poke a whole in them and place it over the nozzle and keep it pressed tightly against the car. It seems to keep any splash off the car.

Out here in Oregon, you are not allowed to pump your own gas. That being said, I go to the same station and they let me pump my own. I grab a couple of paper towels from the gas station dispenser, poke a whole in them and place it over the nozzle and keep it pressed tightly against the car. It seems to keep any splash off the car.

I always wait till a full moon, standing on one leg, dark safety glass's and my highest pair of work boots on, with the radio playing: Moma's don't let your kids grow up to be fillin station attendants!

Seriously, mine fills with no problem. I just need to shut it off before it overflows at full!

I always wait till a full moon, standing on one leg, dark safety glass's and my highest pair of work boots on, with the radio playing: Moma's don't let your kids grow up to be fillin station attendants!

Seriously, mine fills with no problem. I just need to shut it off before it overflows at full!

I read most of that thread. And it got me thinking...

Someone mentioned the stock tanks venting to the outside...

The stock caps aren't supposed to "vent" out of the back if pressure builds up somehow right? They're supposed to be sealed with no vent to atmosphere.

Reason I'm asking is i set up my new cap (racing style), that has a locking gas cap and outer seal (on the flapper door). Just making sure i didn't seal the tank where pressure will build and cause a problem/explosion or something!

Its my understanding that stock caps ARE supposed to vent, and a vacuum in the tank could occur if you have a cap that isn't vented (causing fuel delivery problems).

Yeah, don't the original caps just vent to the atmosphere? New cars have EVAP systems that inject fresh air or capture the fumes but ours just let them float away.

Actually, I could be mistaken but I think I remember parts catalogs listing the 69/70 caps as non-venter and vented. I think the filler neck in 69 handles the venting. The cars started getting evaporative emissions somewhere in there.

So basically, gas fumes just constantly escaped out of the cap?? So if someone was standing by the back of the car with say a lit cigarette, the car could blow up? This can't be how it was designed by Ford?!?

I used to smell gas at the back of the car all the time till i installed my new cap. That was supposed to be normal?

Here is the cap i installed. Maybe it's vented somehow? I haven't had any problems with pressure buildup (went on a 60 mile cruise and the tank was down at about a 1/4 before i filled up), i didn't hear any pressure release/suction when i released the cap to fill up.

Actually many of the evap caps on certain models were vented caps as well. I had a 77 maverick and put an old style Maverick non-vented cap on it and practically collapsed the tank. Turns out vacuum from the evap system was applied to the tank and without the vented gas cap, air couldn't flow through.

All tanks are vented somehow. They have to be so that air can replace displaced fuel. Sometimes it is handled through the cap, and sometimes it is handled elsewhere.

And no, you will not blow up standing next to it. The fumes aren't anywhere close to dense enough to ignite.

All tanks are vented somehow. They have to be so that air can replace displaced fuel. Sometimes it is handled through the cap, and sometimes it is handled elsewhere.

And no, you will not blow up standing next to it. The fumes aren't anywhere close to dense enough to ignite.

Right. The vents were supposed one-way, fresh air in only, but the designs were sloppy enough that some fumes would often escape, like on a hot day

Just let the mechanic handle the filling.

Most of us are the mechanic! I don't let anyone else work on my car unless it's way beyond my ability. Even if I don't own the right tools I'd rather buy them and own them than pay labor to someone else.

Most of us are the mechanic! I don't let anyone else work on my car unless it's way beyond my ability. Even if I don't own the right tools I'd rather buy them and own them than pay labor to someone else.

I have a pile of spring compressors, pullers, oil sender adapters, etc from exactly the same mindset....LOL!