Sign in to follow this  
Topless69GT

What radio should I put in my 69?

I have not been on the forum for quite sometime dealing with all the fun stuff life has dealt my family over the last 12 months. Anyhow, I am getting ready to finish (by September) my 69 GT convertible and I am trying to figure out a good radio to put in the car that will let me use my iPod. I am trying to keep the car looking stock but I want a decent sound system. My car has factory door speakers and I am going to put upgraded speakers there and in the factory dash location. I am thinking I am going to have to go with a single DIN model and modify a reproduction radio bezel to fit. I know someone makes a radio bezel for that application but if I remember they are really stupid expensive. What have you guys done?

topless69gt

I have not been on the forum for quite sometime dealing with all the fun stuff life has dealt my family over the last 12 months. Anyhow, I am getting ready to finish (by September) my 69 GT convertible and I am trying to figure out a good radio to put in the car that will let me use my iPod. I am trying to keep the car looking stock but I want a decent sound system. My car has factory door speakers and I am going to put upgraded speakers there and in the factory dash location. I am thinking I am going to have to go with a single DIN model and modify a reproduction radio bezel to fit. I know someone makes a radio bezel for that application but if I remember they are really stupid expensive. What have you guys done?

topless69gt

Take a look at Custom Autosound. They have some that will fit stock location and mounting with all digital tuning and controls and it sounds great. They even make a iPod Connector as well. I put this in my car just recently and really like the set up.

Take a look at Custom Autosound. They have some that will fit stock location and mounting with all digital tuning and controls and it sounds great. They even make a iPod Connector as well. I put this in my car just recently and really like the set up.

Never understood why with all the great recievers out there someone would wanna put and old a$$ stereo in even if it has upgrades. I guess if ya really want it to lok stock thats ok but just keep the stock one and put it back in when ya sell it. I just put in a REALLY nice pioneer hu that has full ipod controls and even had a usb and av jack in thr front AND the back of it! For the price, pioneer hu's are one of the best hu's you can buy.

Never understood why with all the great recievers out there someone would wanna put and old a$$ stereo in even if it has upgrades. I guess if ya really want it to lok stock thats ok but just keep the stock one and put it back in when ya sell it. I just put in a REALLY nice pioneer hu that has full ipod controls and even had a usb and av jack in thr front AND the back of it! For the price, pioneer hu's are one of the best hu's you can buy.

I'll add my vote for the Autosound - it's got the look and all the new gizmos

I have a '69 vert also - consider a couple of speakers in the rear seat side panels

Or maybe a 250 lb. boomer in the trunk to really turn off everyone :-)

I'll add my vote for the Autosound - it's got the look and all the new gizmos

I have a '69 vert also - consider a couple of speakers in the rear seat side panels

Or maybe a 250 lb. boomer in the trunk to really turn off everyone :-)

Custom Autosound are cheap Chinese radios dressed up to look compatible with a Camaro, Mustang, Charger, whatever ... for a third of the price you could get an original Mustang radio on eBay, then get a FM iPod converter ... just my 2C

Custom Autosound are cheap Chinese radios dressed up to look compatible with a Camaro, Mustang, Charger, whatever ... for a third of the price you could get an original Mustang radio on eBay, then get a FM iPod converter ... just my 2C

That's exactly what I did. As a bonus, the original radio picks up FM stations a LOT better than my old Custom Autosound radio did.

That's exactly what I did. As a bonus, the original radio picks up FM stations a LOT better than my old Custom Autosound radio did.

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I am going to modify a reproduction bezel and go with a new single din head unit with ipod controls and HD radio. I am looking at a Kenwood model and Pioneer unit. I went this route because the custom auto sound radios are expensive and the FM iPod connectors really don't work well in the Indianapolis area. I tried cheap ones and expensive ones and none really seem to do the job. I am just happy that after 3 years on this restoration I am down to the radio selection and what rims and tires I am going to run on the car.