Sign in to follow this  
rangerdoc

Coupe Restomod

I think I should have done the same thing! My fingers and hands are spent and my frustration level is peaked out. I finished the seats today. While it is obvious to me a professional didn't do them they don't look too bad. There is a difference between the bottom cushion of the two buckets because I made a mistake with the passenger side. Basically, the insert doesn't tuck in much so the seat is flatter than the driver's side. Other than that they are acceptable for a resto mod and a first time go at it. Certainly not concours, but then again...neither is the car :) I still can't get over how much an improvement the new foam is. The seats are actually comfortable now!

The hog ring pliers I got from Laurel Mustang gave me problems the entire time and finally completely fell apart today. I had to buy a cheap set from Ace Hardware to finish the job. The angled pliers sure make a difference.

It was my first attempt. I didn't mind trying since the car is a restomod. If I were to do it all again I'd do the rear seat just for the understanding of the process and have a shop do the front seats. I'm pleased with them, but they're not perfect.

Here are some pictures of the car after getting stripped. The right side had more bondo than was expected, but at least there was no hidden rust damage. I've been lucky with the lack of rust on the car. When I bought it nearly 20 years ago I had no idea what I should and shouldn't look for.

i was wanting to do the maier trunk lid on my car too. i was going to use a 70 mach 1 style stripe across the back of the spoiler that kind of mimics the shelby indention sort of. i was also thinking of doing the Boss 302 style blackout on top of the trunk lid too.....in the end i never did that trunk lid because i wasn't able to save up enough money before the car went to paint...i do have the shelby side scoops though.

check out the stripe on this 70 mach 1, that's what i'm talking about.

69-70-mustang-bg-E.jpg

i was wanting to do the maier trunk lid on my car too. i was going to use a 70 mach 1 style stripe across the back of the spoiler that kind of mimics the shelby indention sort of. i was also thinking of doing the Boss 302 style blackout on top of the trunk lid too.....in the end i never did that trunk lid because i wasn't able to save up enough money before the car went to paint...i do have the shelby side scoops though.

check out the stripe on this 70 mach 1, that's what i'm talking about.

69-70-mustang-bg-E.jpg

Wow, did you start with just a shell or were you unable to salvage anything from the car? That looks like every page in the catalog! I was surprised how well all my original stainless trim and grill parts cleaned up. It was time consuming and a pain but I here they fit so much better than the repops that I think it was worth it.

LOL! It is a bunch of stuff. Most of the chrome on the car was way beyond fixing or not worth spending money on. I have kept it all just in case. The car was also in a front end collision at some point in its life so much of the front grill pieces were replaced and didn't match up anymore, which was a shame because that incurred most of the cost. I did a bunch of calculating and it turned out to be cheaper to just replace stuff vs restoring it.

The rest of the stuff you see are extras for the interior and special pet modifications to things (like the hood scoop, trunk, spoiler, LED lights, radio). It only looks like a lot of parts because it is spread out. But if it could come off the car for painting then it is getting reworked or replaced, not to mention I'm redoing the entire interior.

Besides the couple bolts that hold it in, if you look closely you'll see about 14 drill holes that are from drilling out the spot welds. Then the piece had to be rewelded into place. So not too bad if you have the equipment.

I wish I could take credit, but the work is being done at a local shop. After seeing all the professional work they are doing I'm glad I decided to give the car to them for body/paint. I would never have done such a good job.