Sign in to follow this  
rangerdoc

Coupe Restomod

Yeah, it takes a mustang person to notice there is a cap on there. I guess it's because I know the cap is on there that it bugs me. I just hate to spend the money and hope I get the dye done correctly to match the rest of the dash. I'd be pretty mad if it didn't look correct.

I used a 3M clear silicone adhesive, it may have even come with the cap.

Thanks!

The car is headed off to the paint/body shop on Friday. They'll be dropping the engine and drive train, removing the glass and getting it ready for blasting. I can't wait to see it in bare metal form! Its not a frame off resto, but it'll be about as close as it gets.

I used a 3M clear silicone adhesive, it may have even come with the cap.

Thanks!

The car is headed off to the paint/body shop on Friday. They'll be dropping the engine and drive train, removing the glass and getting it ready for blasting. I can't wait to see it in bare metal form! Its not a frame off resto, but it'll be about as close as it gets.

When I first bought my car it had the cheap cap on the dash. I knew it was a cap the momment I saw it and touched it but it did look OK so it didn't really bother me. After I got all the insurance money and stripped the whole car for rebuild I decided to buy a new ford dash. Once you comapre the two you really wonder how you ever got along with the cap. The soft vinyl with all the right grooves and tapers and curves and stitching, there is just no comparison to the hard plastic shell. True that only a diehard stanger knows it's a cap but the others just know it looks cheap and think that's just the approach that Ford took, especially those bow tie guys.

On that note, personally with so many other parts that are black in these cars I have seen very few dye jobs even done in a perfect matching color that I thought looked better than leaving it black. I would be nervous about dyeing a brand new expensive dash also but if my lower dash and carpet and what not was black still than I would simply leave it black.

My suggestion if you are leaving some things black, get everything else inside the car exactly as you want it, leave this for last. Then lay your old dash down loose with the cap in black, take some pics and see how it looks then dye the cap and take some pics and see how it looks. If you like it in saddle then leave it, if you don't then buy a new black dash or I guess just repaint the cap black. In fact, if you just take some nice pics of it installed black I am sure I can easily photshop it up for you in saddle. Heck, find a pic of someone elses car in saddle and I could even do it now instead of waiting.

When I first bought my car it had the cheap cap on the dash. I knew it was a cap the momment I saw it and touched it but it did look OK so it didn't really bother me. After I got all the insurance money and stripped the whole car for rebuild I decided to buy a new ford dash. Once you comapre the two you really wonder how you ever got along with the cap. The soft vinyl with all the right grooves and tapers and curves and stitching, there is just no comparison to the hard plastic shell. True that only a diehard stanger knows it's a cap but the others just know it looks cheap and think that's just the approach that Ford took, especially those bow tie guys.

On that note, personally with so many other parts that are black in these cars I have seen very few dye jobs even done in a perfect matching color that I thought looked better than leaving it black. I would be nervous about dyeing a brand new expensive dash also but if my lower dash and carpet and what not was black still than I would simply leave it black.

My suggestion if you are leaving some things black, get everything else inside the car exactly as you want it, leave this for last. Then lay your old dash down loose with the cap in black, take some pics and see how it looks then dye the cap and take some pics and see how it looks. If you like it in saddle then leave it, if you don't then buy a new black dash or I guess just repaint the cap black. In fact, if you just take some nice pics of it installed black I am sure I can easily photshop it up for you in saddle. Heck, find a pic of someone elses car in saddle and I could even do it now instead of waiting.

Pak-After discussing it with the wife unit we've decided to leave the cap and do the dash later since it doesn't interfere with any of the other restoration projects.

Unfortunately, the rest of the lower dash and steering wheel is saddle, so I don't have much of a choice but to dye it. There is no black anywhere on my car. But when the time comes I probably will dye a section to make sure I'm not applying too much or too little to get the best match possible.

The best solution would be to find an illusive saddle dash somewhere. But I know the odds of that are near zero.

Pak-After discussing it with the wife unit we've decided to leave the cap and do the dash later since it doesn't interfere with any of the other restoration projects.

Unfortunately, the rest of the lower dash and steering wheel is saddle, so I don't have much of a choice but to dye it. There is no black anywhere on my car. But when the time comes I probably will dye a section to make sure I'm not applying too much or too little to get the best match possible.

The best solution would be to find an illusive saddle dash somewhere. But I know the odds of that are near zero.

Got ya, the boss knows best!

So you say unfortunately, why is that? Was it a previous owner that painted everything is saddle? If you don't like it then why not put it all back to black? I'm having a hard time picturing how all that looks in saddle?!?!?!?!

Got ya, the boss knows best!

So you say unfortunately, why is that? Was it a previous owner that painted everything is saddle? If you don't like it then why not put it all back to black? I'm having a hard time picturing how all that looks in saddle?!?!?!?!

Yes she does, luckily she's a car chick and understands.

I only say unfortunately because it requires me to dye the dash. I've only found dashes in black, white and ginger.

Take a look at the pictures at the beginning of the thread when I was starting to take apart the car. There are some that sorta show the dash area.

Yes she does, luckily she's a car chick and understands.

I only say unfortunately because it requires me to dye the dash. I've only found dashes in black, white and ginger.

Take a look at the pictures at the beginning of the thread when I was starting to take apart the car. There are some that sorta show the dash area.

I was at a car show this weekend and came across this. Anyone recognize it? Minus the engine, she looks just like my car (well...soon to be), even had the same interior. I like the cap on the wheels as well.