Sign in to follow this  
rangerdoc

Coupe Restomod

No pictures today, but I did visit the car. It has an initial primer and is getting some high/low spots taken car of before going for more primer. I got to see a freshly painted MG that was getting buffed. All I can say is GLASS. That is what it looked like. Not a single ripple, blemish, wave...nothing. I can't wait for my car to look that way.

The other news I've been holding out on is about the decklid and end caps. Multiple posts ago I said I was getting the Maier Racing setup with the ducktail spoiler. Well, the decklid is OK, but the end caps were so far off from fitting that even the shop guys said they couldn't make them work. After some back and forth with Maier I got them to send out new end caps without the mounting studs. So now the new caps fit much better. There is still some fiberglass work to do to the end caps and deck lid, but nothing crazy. Just typical aftermarket fiberglass alignment issues.

As soon as I get some pics of everything mounted I'll post them up.

Oh yea the end caps are all kinds of off on the fit. Me and the guys spent weeks working on getting the Shelby style to fit right. I drilled out the holes to allow a better fit and then fiberglassed in the gaps. The guys at the shop finished everything off and it looks so sweet now. I'm hoping to see color next week!

And here are some pictures of the Maier Racing end caps and deck lid. Remember, this is my second set of end caps in order to try and give the shop a chance at making things fit. I probably should have demanded a new decklid as well since the shop had to cut several relief cuts and do new glass work on it. I won't show all the pictures or get into great detail, but I'm highly disappointed in the quality of the product and not being even close to fitting properly. I didn't expect perfect, but I did expect close. The extra cost associated with getting the product to fit properly is unacceptable.

Wow those are further off than even mine were. Did the shop think they can modify the end caps to match the pitch of the trunk lid?

Sometime you think that the guys who were working on the end caps were drunk, cause nothing comes close.

The shop got things lined up great, but the extra labor is going to cost me! I wish I had gone with an OEM Shelby setup, probably cheaper! Here are some more pics so you can see the cuts into the decklid and then the work required to get a new angle.

The shop got things lined up great, but the extra labor is going to cost me! I wish I had gone with an OEM Shelby setup, probably cheaper! Here are some more pics so you can see the cuts into the decklid and then the work required to get a new angle.

on a positive note!!! at least the shop had the skills to complete the job and not say... screw it...

the end result is gonna look great!!!!!:tongue_smilie:

Yeah, I couldn't be more happy with the quality of work with this shop. Considering I was just going for a new paint job they are doing things I never would have thought of. The end product is going to be amazing. If I ever get my '68 Fastback Bullitt clone I'll send the car to them from across the country to have it restored. I got lucky I just stumbled across them on the net.

Wow those are further off than even mine were. Did the shop think they can modify the end caps to match the pitch of the trunk lid?

Sometime you think that the guys who were working on the end caps were drunk, cause nothing comes close.

The first set was completely unworkable, which is why I had to get a new set. I'm going to go look at it in person later this week. The pictures they sent me look great, so I'm pretty sure it'll look good in person. The shop owner is a real perfectionist. They removed every door hinge, latch and other little items around the car so they could clean underneath and paint them properly.

We are hoping to start paint on Friday! They are doing more blocking, sanding, priming, etc. They are still working the trunk and end caps. Had to build up the sides of the deck lid to match the quarters. I can't wait to hear what the labor cost on all this fiberglass is going to cost!!

They've actually been spending the last few days prepping small areas like the cowl, side vents, door jambs, hinges, etc. But the pictures I received today show everything hanging in the booth and the car masked. Maybe tomorrow will be the lucky day.

Edited by rangerdoc

It's going to look like this, except as a coupe. This is the original color (Champagne Gold) and when I saw this picture it really settled things for me. I was going to go Highland Green to match my Bullitt and because I really like HG. But when I saw the blacked out hood I had to go that way, plus the Gold has grown on me over the years.

What do you all think of the rear stripe (proto-type Mach 1 stripe) on the purple car going on the back of my car? I'll get it in black of course. You'll have to look at Steve's car for comparison and imagine a horizontal stripe going across. I know it won't fit exaclty the same as on a Mach 1, but I think it would be a close fit.

And real quick. Should I get the tail light area blacked out like on Steve's car or just leave it body color? Remember, the hood will be blacked out as well. I think tomorrow may be the last chance to make a change like that. I'm not sure what would look best.

I called the shop about an hour before they started spraying and decided to do the blacked out panel. The stripe is something I can add or not later, but the paint is a little different. I think I'll be happy with it. I like the combination of classic themes I've got going with the car. Mach 1 look up front, a unique spoiler in the back with black out panel, stock side scoops, dual exhaust tips. If only I could get it back to put the interior together and enjoy it!!