Sign in to follow this  
rangerdoc

Coupe Restomod

I'm pretty excited. I debated putting a Mach 1 spoiler on the back but just didn't like it on a coupe, but I wanted to do something besides the standard trunk. I wish it had a bit of tilt towards the back instead of the vertical, but I think I'll still be happy with it. I guess I better since I paid for it!!! I'll probably put a MUSTANG script ornament on the right side of it since I think it'll look weird with the little M-U-S-T-A-N-G letters in the middle of the flat part. What do you all think of that idea?

It looks great when it comes out of the box but wait til you fit it, totally sucks I had to adjust mine at least 10 times.. Hope yours came out better the

Mine for the sake of all the time I dumped into it.. Good luck tho it does look f-in sweet when done!!!

I haven't seen any with the duck tail and the MUSTANG letters across the back. I think it would look good with the letters stenciled on or something like that. As long as they are flat.

I got the Shelby style and will be using the glue on lettering from a 73 to put the letters accross the back in the groove where SHLBY was supposed to go.

It is a radically different ducktail compared to the Shelby which is what I went with too. Can you show us a picture of the end caps? I'm curious how they blend into the fender line in comparison to the Shelby also.

Any fiberglass part will need massaging, none of them are bolt on. If the body shop is handling it keep your fingers crossed. I had some modifying to do to mine for my stock application as well as fitment but I spent more in labor than the part cost, lol.

I won't have any pictures of it on the car for another month or so. This set-up is about $350 less than the Shelby stuff. It was a real toss up and I hope I don't regret my decision because the Shelby spoiler looks great. But it is also something less common, which I like. I guess if I absolutely hate the results I can sell it and go with the Shelby stuff. When I get it done you'll all just have to lie to me and say it looks great!

It's going to look just fine, don't worry. I can't believe it was that much less than the Shelby though, that's unbelievable. When I orderd from Maier, and granted that was several years ago now, they were the same exact price. I think I paid around $400ish or so.

WHOO HOO! Look at all that room!

On the black ABS spoiler, just leave it black. I'm going with a fibreglass one that I can paint the same colors as the car, but after it gets cracked to pieces, I'll switch back over to the black plastic one :tongue_smilie:

I need some opinions. I'm debating if I should have the wing portion of the Maier Racing spoiler taped off and painted black to match the blacked out hood and to also give some definitino to the spoiler. I think it would look good from the trunk/top side but I'm not sure if having a solid paint line on the back end going across the car would look good. What do you all think?

My first attempt at recovering seats. The original material was in great shape. I did add a layer of 1" batting material to the bottom section. Next step...the front seats!

Also, still need opinions about my previous post. Thanks.

Not the whole trunk, just the spoiler portion across the trailing edge. I have no idea how to explain it. The cross section would sorta look like a triangle.

BTW...the front seats are kicking my arse. I think I'd do 10 rear seats before I consider doing front seats again!

seat looks great, good brackets for the more difficult buckets!

If you are filling in the large recessed Shelby and have Shelby tailights you end up with a large area of paint up there from the tail. I always thought it would look sharp if you ran a strip from the quarter extension, up then across the top then down the other extension, like a really short, really stretch out upside down "U." I would use like half the side stripe motif. Small stripe on top, larger on bottom.

You can picture it on the car below... if others think it's a good idea maybe someone can photoshop it?

1969shelby_bj2008.jpg

I attached a picture of Steve's car to show the spoiler. You can see how vertical it is compared to the Shelby version. I'm thinking of blacking out the lip portion from tail cap to tail cap. This will give it a more defined spoiler look. The only thing I'm not sure would look good is having a paint line going across the entire back of the car.

Edit: I did a crude picture rendition of what I'm thinking. And of course the front of the spoiler would be black as well.

Edited by rangerdoc

Now I finally get what you were talking about, that's why I didn't chime in earlier. I don't like it. Even when ford blacked out the trunk lid on the boss 302 they stopped at the peak and didn't run down the back even though the tail panel was black too and that spoiler has a lot less real estate on it too aside from being more angled. They added a simple pinstrip at the botom edge which does nothing to give it the illusion of being shorter which I think might be part of your goal here.

Mustang%2BBOSS%2B302R%2Bmump_0412_02_z%2B1970_boss_302_r_code_mach_1_restore%2Bcustom_rear_end.jpg

What I do think would look good there is if you d something more along the lines of what the Mach 1 has, custom of course and straight across, if you are still adding the letters too then I think this will really fill up the space and give it the illusion of being shorter.

mump_0605_04z+1969_ford_mustang_mach_1+rear_spoiler.jpg

Maybe this is what Revhead was trying to explain?!?!?!?!

Ya know, I really like the pinstripe idea. It just needs a little definition and that would do it! I like that idea much better than my idea. I wonder if I can get the Mach 1 decals without the "Mach 1" in the middle? That would be a lot easier (and cheaper) than having custom pinstripes put on. It would also let me live with a solid color for a while and see if I like it without any detail added.

As far as the letters, I'm thinking of not putting them on because I think they would look too small on such a big, flat surface. But I am thinking of adding another 'script' mustang on the right side of the trunk.

I would start your search here, they have just about everything under the sun. I think the best custom applications are the ones that hint back to a stock look, people recognoze that while it is different there is something familiar that they just can't put there finger on. Look at what they have for all makes and models, you may find something similar that you like or works better in your application from another year or even manufacturer.

http://graphic-express.com

I seem to recall there being a prototype stripe before they came up with the name Mach 1, it would probably be reflective still though. I would still consdier custom painting it unless you want reflective just because you can make sure it has the right framing and curve for your car and you can make the stripes as thick or thin as you want, it wouldn't be any more expensive probably.

Yes, exactly the Mach 1 tail stripes, exactly what I was thinking. Dont ask me why but I couldnt find a picture of that, lol. I was thinking and searching Shelby and Vert for the tail panel. With all the Shelby and Maier tail section conversions I'm surprised no one did it yet. I think that would look the best. All black might actually de-empasize it it certain lighting.

Time for a distraction from the trunk. Though I think I'm leaning towards the pin stripes...thanks all for the help.

Here is a picture of my newly recovered passenger seat next to the original drivers seat. I will be very glad to be done with this part of the project! There are a few wrinkles I need to get out with the hair dryer, but overall I'm pretty pleased for a first attempt. The new foam is a night and day difference. I can't feel one single spring!

Here is a picture of my newly recovered passenger seat

Man, my hat's off to you. I, too, did my rear seat but I wrestled with my bucket seats forever before I gave up and paid an upholstery shop $200 to do them. Good job!