Sign in to follow this  
flight96

My 69 Vert Project...Let The Games Begin

YES!! nice job!! cant wait to fire mine up.:tongue_smilie:

A huge step forward....Fired her up for the first time today !!!:tongue: Fired right up and sounds GREAT. I have taken the week off to get her painted. Things are happening now !!!:blink:

OK, so I started it up again and now I have reverse but nothing else. I may now have too much fluid in the trans.There is a tube on the trans that fluid is blowing out of, I believe its the breather tube ???? I have the guy from the tranny shop coming over tomorrow night, hopefully he can figure it out....

On the plus side she fires right up whenever I go to start it !!!:shifty:

As for the body, I have it all blocked out and the little spots that required a little putty are all completed. I gave it a panel by panel wipe to see how it looks wet and it is looking very straight. One last blast of 2K primer tonight and hopefully into the paint shop this week end:thumbup1:

Edited by flight96

The last day of the car in my home garage. It's now at my shop and the final coat of primer is on ! I still have a few small pieces I will work on at home, but the car is gone...My wife and neighbors are very happy !!

As for the trans, the guy from the tranny shop is coming to the shop tonight to look at it. I hope its nothing too serious. I think I just over filled it.....At least I hope that's all it is !!!

That must be a nice feeling to have her heading out for paint! I'm getting cloer. I was playong with my stinking aftermarket doors and they are getting close to lined up but they just don't fit like the originals.

It was a great feeling....BUT...and there always seems to be a 'but' lately....The trans guy figures there is something wrong in the tranny... So now tomorrow it goes OUT of the paint shop and over to the tranny shop !!! Man if it aint one thing its another !!! I think tomorrow I'll take a car time out and go golfing... I sure know how to pick all the frustrating hobbies !! At this pace Im gonna have a hear attack by next Tuesday !!

Well the trans is out and they say the pump was jammed and is now FU@#*d !! When I put the motor and trans together I could move the torque converter freely. So I know that the pump could not have been jammed then. So now Im in a big fight with the tranny shop !!:censored: They say its not their fault and Im sure it aint mine !!

I have NOT had a good car week !!!:mad: :cursing:

I hear ya man... sometimes its just best to work on something else for a bit. hang in their.. your tooooo close to driving this bad arse convert!!!:punk:

Well the trans is out and they say the pump was jammed and is now FU@#*d !! When I put the motor and trans together I could move the torque converter freely. So I know that the pump could not have been jammed then. So now Im in a big fight with the tranny shop !!:censored: They say its not their fault and Im sure it aint mine !!

it could turn freely but still not be engaged the pump and when you tightened up the bolts it probably jammed the convertor into the pump housing. just don't ask me how i know this.....please!?, pretty please!?

i got lucky though and didn't hurt the trans, it just locked everything up solid and the engine wouldn't turn over so i had to pull the trans and correctly engage the convertor to the trans and then everything was fine. i think, however, that it did do some minor damage to the trans because i did end up having to replace the pump the next time i had the tranny rebuilt. this was on the very first time i built the original engine way back in high school so i was still learning back then

So if that does happen, How do you make sure the pump is not jammed ?? Hope and a prayer ???? Once the motor and trans was in the car I checked through the inspection plate that all the nuts were properly tightened. What more should I have done ???

you have to rotate the convertor on the input shaft until it is fully seated, usually it will slide in 2 or 3 times as you rotate it on the shaft, it will usually wiggle a bit on the shaft until it is properly seated. if you didn't do this then that is what happened to your pump.

Well I just spoke to the tranny shop. Apparently the flex plate that the machine shop put on the engine was the wrong one for an FMX application. It is about a 1/4" too thick and pushed the tourque converter against the pump, causing the issue. So now its gonna cost me another $1000.00 to get the trans fixed. So I'm gonna have to go after the engine builder to TRY to recoup my losses....Ya....good luck with that !!!

I haven't updated this thread in a while. I finally got the car back from the trans shop. They are still saying the engine builders put the wrong flex plate on, so that battle still rages on....stay tuned !!

On the plus side I have started the 3rd. and final block sand. It's damn hot here now so I'm sweating my ass off long boarding this thing !! It's coming out very nice though !! Feels really good. The final wet sand in 600 grit should be done by late Thursday/early Friday. If all goes well I will be spraying her on Saturday !!! I ordered the paint today (DuPont Chroma Base & Chroma Clear).

I was gonna go with the black hood like most others, however I may do something a bit different. I'm leaning toward a darker blue pearl rather thank black. Kinda like a ghost thing on the hood and tail light panel.

Ya can't really see it until the light hits it a certain way. Very subtle.

what color will the car be? i missed it somewhere.

:huh:

I haven't updated this thread in a while. I finally got the car back from the trans shop. They are still saying the engine builders put the wrong flex plate on, so that battle still rages on....stay tuned !!

On the plus side I have started the 3rd. and final block sand. It's damn hot here now so I'm sweating my ass off long boarding this thing !! It's coming out very nice though !! Feels really good. The final wet sand in 600 grit should be done by late Thursday/early Friday. If all goes well I will be spraying her on Saturday !!! I ordered the paint today (DuPont Chroma Base & Chroma Clear).

I was gonna go with the black hood like most others, however I may do something a bit different. I'm leaning toward a darker blue pearl rather thank black. Kinda like a ghost thing on the hood and tail light panel.

Ya can't really see it until the light hits it a certain way. Very subtle.

It's Acapulco Blue. You can see it on page 11 of this thread. I did under the hood and inside the doors.

Also, I have been having a hell of a time finding the side quarter panel ornaments. Not the chrome peice but the actual part that bolts to the 1/4 panel. One I have is screwed !! PO filled it with bondo where it was broken. So I decided to go with the Shelby side scoops. I think they'll look better anyway....just more money.....Good Lord stop the bleeding !!!:huh:

geez im a goof i knew that!! sorry!! looks great ... :tongue_smilie:

It's Acapulco Blue. You can see it on page 11 of this thread. I did under the hood and inside the doors.

Also, I have been having a hell of a time finding the side quarter panel ornaments. Not the chrome peice but the actual part that bolts to the 1/4 panel. One I have is screwed !! PO filled it with bondo where it was broken. So I decided to go with the Shelby side scoops. I think they'll look better anyway....just more money.....Good Lord stop the bleeding !!!:huh:

Hahaha....your not a goof !! Goof's wear bow ties and drive Chev's :tongue:.....

Ah...I'm a little rambunctious tonight...It's car paint eve !!! Tomorrow I spray the old girl !! She's all ready to go...Finally !!! Spent 8 hours today doing the final block sand. Tomorrow I will do the final wet sand and spray away !!:tongue_smilie:

Well its finally painted. It was a very long day but its done, for the most part. I still have some small pieces to spray but the majority of it is completed. The next step will be to wet sand and polish it.

And now for the Blue.... I did decide to go with a pearl effect on the hood and tail light panel. I went with a slight shimmer blue pearl. Not too much. Just under 1 gram in a pint of clear. The effect is hard to tell in the booth with a camera, but in the sun it should really pop.