Sign in to follow this  
flight96

My 69 Vert Project...Let The Games Begin

It's definitely a stamped line. It follows the other line a ways up the 1/4. Weirdest thing. Oh well, a little thinking and a lot of practice fits and I'm sure I can make it work, but it just seems a bit strange. Oh well, patients is a virtue.

On the good side of things I have the trans back !! All sparkly and new with a B&M shift kit, a new 29 spline smooth pump and whole bunch of other goodies. Hopefully this weekend I will have the engine and trans back in the car !! That is if this 1/4 panel issue doesn't kill me !!

Well back to it.......

I will post pics when done...

It's definitely a stamped line. It follows the other line a ways up the 1/4. Weirdest thing. Oh well, a little thinking and a lot of practice fits and I'm sure I can make it work, but it just seems a bit strange. Oh well, patients is a virtue.

On the good side of things I have the trans back !! All sparkly and new with a B&M shift kit, a new 29 spline smooth pump and whole bunch of other goodies. Hopefully this weekend I will have the engine and trans back in the car !! That is if this 1/4 panel issue doesn't kill me !!

Well back to it.......

I will post pics when done...

Well just for the heck of it, consdier doing a new thread something like "Coupe/Vert owners that have replaced quarter skins please advise" then show a pic and see what the feedback is.

Well just for the heck of it, consdier doing a new thread something like "Coupe/Vert owners that have replaced quarter skins please advise" then show a pic and see what the feedback is.

Well like EVERY other part I have got for this build I just sucked it up and modded it :001_huh:...It seems that no matter what ya buy for a vert it needs some kind of tweeking.

On that note the 1/4 is on and done. The only thing left is some minor body work. I ground the weld down along the top side of the panel and applied some fiberglass. The door is hung just for a reference point for the 1/4 panel. Tomorrow I will rip the door off and finish the door jam. Once done and painted I will then put the door back on and line it up.

The other side 1/4 panel was not as bad, however it still needs some work. I plan on replacing the lower back part and I'll have to fix the spot behind the door. The last people just loaded it up with bondo....ALOT of bondo !!!

I hope to get the motor and trans in this weekend. Once that is in I can then start getting the front end back together and getting all the panels lined up.

Jeez I'm rambling alot tonight...Must be the whiskey...Sadly I will not be able to get much work done next week. My Grandmother passed away last night so I will have to go to Regina on Monday for her funeral. I don't know what's gonna be worst...going to Regina or having to go to a funeral !!??:sad:...Well...time for another whiskey !!

Well like EVERY other part I have got for this build I just sucked it up and modded it :001_huh:...It seems that no matter what ya buy for a vert it needs some kind of tweeking.

On that note the 1/4 is on and done. The only thing left is some minor body work. I ground the weld down along the top side of the panel and applied some fiberglass. The door is hung just for a reference point for the 1/4 panel. Tomorrow I will rip the door off and finish the door jam. Once done and painted I will then put the door back on and line it up.

The other side 1/4 panel was not as bad, however it still needs some work. I plan on replacing the lower back part and I'll have to fix the spot behind the door. The last people just loaded it up with bondo....ALOT of bondo !!!

I hope to get the motor and trans in this weekend. Once that is in I can then start getting the front end back together and getting all the panels lined up.

Jeez I'm rambling alot tonight...Must be the whiskey...Sadly I will not be able to get much work done next week. My Grandmother passed away last night so I will have to go to Regina on Monday for her funeral. I don't know what's gonna be worst...going to Regina or having to go to a funeral !!??:sad:...Well...time for another whiskey !!

Sorry to hear about your loss. I am about where you are as far as my body work.

I took yesterday off to go to Burminham for the 45th Anniversary of the Mustang. Great show and the Ford Mustang Challenge was rockin! I sepnt way too much money with Mustangs Unlimited but I needed everything.

I'll be able to finish the shock towers in the next few weeks.

Ed

Sorry to hear about your loss. I am about where you are as far as my body work.

I took yesterday off to go to Burminham for the 45th Anniversary of the Mustang. Great show and the Ford Mustang Challenge was rockin! I sepnt way too much money with Mustangs Unlimited but I needed everything.

I'll be able to finish the shock towers in the next few weeks.

Ed

The motor and trans are in !!!!

Not all connected but in !! Still much to do but progress is being accomplished.

The carb is an Edelbrock 1406. I have to figure out how all the vacuum lines go in. With the new manifold/carb I'm a little confused on where everything goes. Is there anywhere that has a 'schematic' (Vacuum lines, sensors...ect....)

P.S..Ain't it purdy :biggrin:

The motor and trans are in !!!!

Not all connected but in !! Still much to do but progress is being accomplished.

The carb is an Edelbrock 1406. I have to figure out how all the vacuum lines go in. With the new manifold/carb I'm a little confused on where everything goes. Is there anywhere that has a 'schematic' (Vacuum lines, sensors...ect....)

P.S..Ain't it purdy :biggrin:

More progress...be it ever so slow. I decided to cut off the passenger side 1/4 panel skin and replace the whole thing just like I did on the drivers side. For the amount of work involved in patching the old one I figured, what the hell...go big or go home....The inner wheel well is in great shape, but the outer one needs help. But just around the wheel opening. There is a hole in the front lower portion that is a relatively easy fix. I have an outer wheel well coming tomorrow that I plan on using just parts of.

As for the progress, I have the drivers door jam painted and the door hung and aligned fairly well to the new 1/4 (My batteries are dead in the camera, I will post them tomorrow). Once the rubbers are in, after paint, it will fit nicely. I have ground off a ton of rust in the inner trunk area. Underneath where the panel is between the trunk and the top was full of rust. I got most of it out and the rest I have Rust Mort on. There was a really bad area where the brace meets the wheel well. I had to do some welding in there. I put in a 14ga plate to re-enforce that area...it was ugly !!

I have the RH trunk floor pan out along with the suspension. The frame rail is in really good shape. I cleaned it all up inside and coated it with Rust Not paint. I also got the hole fixed in the front wheel well, the white 'goop' in the pic is Sika-Flex. I put it on all my welds.

I can actually see the end to the welding while laying on my back !!!

I am hoping to have the outer wheelhouse done tomorrow and the trunk pan back in.

Im still a long way from being done but I can actually see the light at the end of the bodywork tunnel !!!

Edited by flight96

More progress...be it ever so slow. I decided to cut off the passenger side 1/4 panel skin and replace the whole thing just like I did on the drivers side. For the amount of work involved in patching the old one I figured, what the hell...go big or go home....The inner wheel well is in great shape, but the outer one needs help. But just around the wheel opening. There is a hole in the front lower portion that is a relatively easy fix. I have an outer wheel well coming tomorrow that I plan on using just parts of.

As for the progress, I have the drivers door jam painted and the door hung and aligned fairly well to the new 1/4 (My batteries are dead in the camera, I will post them tomorrow). Once the rubbers are in, after paint, it will fit nicely. I have ground off a ton of rust in the inner trunk area. Underneath where the panel is between the trunk and the top was full of rust. I got most of it out and the rest I have Rust Mort on. There was a really bad area where the brace meets the wheel well. I had to do some welding in there. I put in a 14ga plate to re-enforce that area...it was ugly !!

I have the RH trunk floor pan out along with the suspension. The frame rail is in really good shape. I cleaned it all up inside and coated it with Rust Not paint. I also got the hole fixed in the front wheel well, the white 'goop' in the pic is Sika-Flex. I put it on all my welds.

I can actually see the end to the welding while laying on my back !!!

I am hoping to have the outer wheelhouse done tomorrow and the trunk pan back in.

Im still a long way from being done but I can actually see the light at the end of the bodywork tunnel !!!

Edited by flight96

I looked to put a rear quarter on my car due to some prior accident damage. I had the same problem. I even sent it back and had them ship me another one. It was the same way. I ended up repairing the original one since it was not rusted and could be repaired.

I looked to put a rear quarter on my car due to some prior accident damage. I had the same problem. I even sent it back and had them ship me another one. It was the same way. I ended up repairing the original one since it was not rusted and could be repaired.

I got the other 1/4 skin today and it's the same as the last one I got...3 body lines...check out the pics. It didn't really matter because I was gonna trim it off anyway but it seems a bit strange. There's gotta be a reason for it...Any way, more progress today. I got the outer wheel house in and the 1/4 skin dry fitted. After a bit of trimming I got it to fit very well. I got the RH trunk floor all lined up and marked off for the final welding. Both the truck floor and 1/4 skin *should* be on tomorrow

I also got the rear suspension finished...springs and shocks are now complete !!

Edited by flight96

I got the other 1/4 skin today and it's the same as the last one I got...3 body lines...check out the pics. It didn't really matter because I was gonna trim it off anyway but it seems a bit strange. There's gotta be a reason for it...Any way, more progress today. I got the outer wheel house in and the 1/4 skin dry fitted. After a bit of trimming I got it to fit very well. I got the RH trunk floor all lined up and marked off for the final welding. Both the truck floor and 1/4 skin *should* be on tomorrow

I also got the rear suspension finished...springs and shocks are now complete !!

Edited by flight96

Looking good! I got mine back over a week ago but haven't had a chance to sepond time in the garage with it. Cub Scoiuts and Church just took up my whole weekends .. Momma's Day now so maybe next week I can do a little bit more.

Looking good! I got mine back over a week ago but haven't had a chance to sepond time in the garage with it. Cub Scoiuts and Church just took up my whole weekends .. Momma's Day now so maybe next week I can do a little bit more.

I haven't updated this thread for a while but I have been busy. I finally got all the trunk are completed and painted, I got all the inner wheel wells completed and painted and I have the RH 1/4 panel welded on and RH door skin half way complete. The trunk area was a lot of work and took a lot of time. Ya pretty much have to be a contortionist to get into some of those spots !!:huh:....

I also found a set of Fiero seats today and got them for $40.00 !! Their in really good shape, so now I have to figure out how to re-cover them !!

1/4 panel pics.....

I also found a set of Fiero seats today and got them for $40.00 !! Their in really good shape, so now I have to figure out how to re-cover them !!

Nice find, that's a great price especially in good shape. With or w/o speakers? Defintely check out www.mrmikes.com to recover them. You'll be hard pressed to come up with a more inclusive and easy to do kit than that.