Sign in to follow this  
flight96

My 69 Vert Project...Let The Games Begin

Oooo, did it come with the braided hoses? When I got mine it was just high pressure rubber lines to work with the stock pump.

Yes !! I was suprised to see them !! Have you done your install ? If so, how did you do your steering column ?

Hmm, its been a little while so I'm going off memory. I believe you use a hammer or something to break a plastic retainer to pull out the old shaft? I also seem to remember cutting the column to make it shorter for some reason and then tack welding a piece that came with the kit. I would have to look at the instructions or the steering column again to refresh my memory but I think thats what it involved but maybe not in that order. Sorry if that is kind of vague.

Thats cool that he upgraded the lines. Wish I had gotten those instead of the rubber ones.

Edit: After looking at the pictures you posted, the old shaft does come out and is replaced by the new shaft with the bearing attached. I think the column gets trimmed down so that the shaft with the bearing can meet with the piece further up the column. Then either you drill a hole or there is already a hole in place to secure the bearing in the column by tack welding so it doesn't come out, but can be easily drilled if it needs to.

Thanks 69GT..You are correct. I called Randall and got it figured out. The shaft comes out with a hammer and you trim 2 3/8" off. I did the mod tonight and it worked great. It will be a week or so before the rack goes in. I need to finish the engine bay first.

Well I haven't posted any pics for a while so here ya go...These are the steering column mod. I have painted the column but I didn't take any pics of it painted. I almost have the engine bay completed, 3 out of 4 inner fenders are in. I'm still waiting for the last piece to arrive. It should be here next week.

Some engine bay pics. Hopefully I will have it competed this weekend. Then I can put in the rack and pinion setup.... As you can see someone filled the one shock tower with brass in the past. It looks like the car was in an accident involving the front drivers side. There were a few cracks in the tower and they used brass....A LOT of brass... to fix the cracks. I ground out 90% of the brass and welded the cracks up on the inside of the tower. Once the tower is painted ya won't see the brass. It looks worse than it is in the pic.

PS... Gotta love the sandblast "booth":biggrin:....

What were the lottery numbers you chose when you were the big winner....The car is really coming along, can't wait to see it when it is done.

Bill

Boy I wish I did win !! These rebuilds are quite the money pit....As for seeing it when it's done....That seems like such a loooooong way away !! I was hoping for May/June....But now I'll be lucky to have it done this summer. Biggest problem is parts availability and time.:scared:

Good news is the door skins arrived yesterday and look pretty good. There are a few issues...of course...One is the Skins came with the strut along the top of the door that the window runners bolt to. However it looks different than the onld strut. The strut is like a [ channel. On the original one the channel faces this way [. On the new one it faces this way ]. Sorry I have pics but Im at work and can't post just yet. I will when I get home.

Next is there is a part inside the door that has 2 bolts and bolts to the backside near the top of the door. It's an L shape with a small piece of felt that puts pressure on the window as you roll it up and down. I found a part # (222A54) however I can not find this part anywhere.:helpsmilie:

Again I will post pics when I get home. Thanks for any help !!

It is not reproduced. If all my stuff was not packed away I would dig one out for you. I am sure I have an extra. I do not recall it having felt. I do remember it was dipped in rubber.

Mike

Your correct about the rubber. Here's whats left of mine. I can find the drivers side but not the passenger side !! As you can see by the pic these were never painted so there was no protection from the elements....I circled where the felt is/was....

Well my left fender and gauge cluster lenses finally arrived BUT...The shipping company seems to have lost my new HOOD !!! :cursing:

How the hell do ya lose a HOOD !!!....Oh well...There's always something...

On the progress side I have replaced all the instrument panel lights with LED's and replaced the clear lenses on the gauges. I have also reset the odometer to zero's.

I undercoated and painted the inner side of the door skins and the new fender. I also applied OneStep to the inner door where there was some rust. There are a few holes I will have to weld up but the door is in pretty good shape.

It looks like Im gonna have to make the inner door piece I mentioned earlier in this thread. I can't find it anywhere. Just another little bump on the road to Restorationville.

It's supposed to be nice out tomorrow so I am hoping to put the wheels on and roll the car outside to give the shop a good clean and blow off the car. Before I do that I guess I should put grease in the new ball joins and tie rods.

Thanks Bill, I got the one off Ebay, it should be here soon. I can't move along on the door until I have it so I finished off the engine bay.

It worked out great. The weather was really nice so I could pull the car out of the shop, wash the shop and give the car a good blow outside.

I was really torn on what to paint the bay. My choices were basically semi-gloss black, gloss black or the color of the car (Acapulco Blue). I decided on Gloss black. Easier to keep clean and it looks good.

looking good! making progress!... have those pistons installed yet?:tongue_smilie:

Thanks Bill, I got the one off Ebay, it should be here soon. I can't move along on the door until I have it so I finished off the engine bay.

It worked out great. The weather was really nice so I could pull the car out of the shop, wash the shop and give the car a good blow outside.

I was really torn on what to paint the bay. My choices were basically semi-gloss black, gloss black or the color of the car (Acapulco Blue). I decided on Gloss black. Easier to keep clean and it looks good.

Ya....I wish....As all things lately,more delays.... the guy that does the machining is off on holiday for 2 weeks !! But, some good news, my MSD ignition and distributor came in and all is now here to finish the engine build...once he gets back from drinking gallons of tequila in Mexico !!

yeah i know what ya mean... was trying to get ready for the 45th show in Birmingham .. but i need to replace the timing cover to install a reverse rotation water pump to go with a serpentine kit.. also looking into a EDIS setup with megajolt... so ill need a crank trigger for the edis .. and something to fill the distributor hole.. :scared:... it will make it easier when i move to efi with a megasquirt setup.:tongue_smilie:

Ya....I wish....As all things lately,more delays.... the guy that does the machining is off on holiday for 2 weeks !! But, some good news, my MSD ignition and distributor came in and all is now here to finish the engine build...once he gets back from drinking gallons of tequila in Mexico !!

I've got the cowl painted and the inner doors are finished and undercoated. The drivers side door skin is on. I dry fitted it on the car first to be sure of the alignment. I then tack welded a few spots and pulled the door off the car.(Breaking 2 hinge bolts !!!:cursing:) Today I hope to finish the drivers side skin and get the door frame in primer, maybe I'll get started on the passenger side skin......