Sign in to follow this  
flight96

My 69 Vert Project...Let The Games Begin

I don't know if anyone noticed but I have not updated anything for a while. Well, it seems the good Lord had a little more in store for myself and my family. My sister, whom I was so very close to has also passed away. She left us on Oct. 22nd after a long and valiant battle with MS. She was recently diagnosed with lung cancer and could not battle that for very long. She lasted only 4 months. She put up a great fight and I am so proud of her. She was a shinning light in my life and was always very supportive of me. I so very much loved her and miss her so much......I don't know how much more I can take.... God Bless You sweet sis......

...Thanks all for letting me rant.....

Im reading all this with a tear in my eye, I think most of us can relate, most of us have that buddy that helps us work on our cars with us, and have brother and sisters, any of which would be a loss, I always try and put myself in someone elses shoes, I feel your pain, my prayers are with you, and you will see them in a better place, life is very short here in this world!!

Well after 4 funerals in 5 months Im trying to get back to 'normal'...Whatever that is. Needless to say I have not done much more work on the car. I have discovered, the hard way, that funerals and death in general is very expensive !!

I have driven the car a few times, I have about 200 miles on her. The plates run out today so she's off the road now until the spring.

Things I have to deal with this winter are....

1. Fix the alignment issue. Im gonna try to shim out the UCA.
  2. With the UCA drop and the 1" drop springs, the front end is just too low, so Im going to have to either replace the springs or use a urathane spacer to give it more height.
  3. Tires and wheels. I would like to go to 17's with either Magnum 500's, Cragar SS's or maybe Center lines.... I may do this before the springs to see if I get any more height out of the larger tires/wheels.
  4. I also want to get the Fiero seats done and installed.
  5. I have the hood scoop so I want to get that painted, and I have decided to go with the black on the hood and tail light panel. It will be gloss black with blue pearl.
  6. There's a few electical issues I still have to resolve.
  7. I bought the Shelby gauge pod for the center console so I will be rebuilding the original console. Its got some cracks and breaks in it and it needs paint.
  8. And finally, the new gasket holding the sending unit in the gas tank leaks:cursing::censored: . So I gotta fix that !!

Thanks to everyone for letting me rant on the forum, and thanks for your heart felt condolences. I do, and will always, miss the loved ones I recently lost. Just remember all to kiss your loved ones, and let them know how much they mean to you. Because you may not be able to say it to them tomorrow.

B&D Forever....

I still haven't done anymore work on the car and probably won't now until after Christmas...Which is only a month away !!:scared:.

Anyway, I was looking back over this thread and noticed that a year ago today I almost burnt down my house welding in the drivers side floor pan !!:oops:

I gotta say, I am very happy with the way the build has gone in just over a year. When I started this I was sure that in 6 months I would be done and driving...Well now I'm starting year 2. And yes I have driven her a bit but the build is still not complete to my satisfaction. So I guess what they say is right. Be ready to spend more time and WAY MORE money than you first budget for !!

There have been so many, up's and down's in the past year WRT the resto ! It's great to have this thread to go back and read and re-live some of it.

Many thanks to this site and all who take the time to make it what it is !! And Many thanks to all who have helped with their advice and ideas. Having this has definately made my build much easier !!

:clap:

Edited by flight96

Back to work on the old Horse...And No, Im not talking about my mother-In-Law !!:tongue:

I have to shim the UCA's so I may as well remove the front fenders to get in there easier, so that's the hope for this week/weekend. Also the hood and cowl are coming off and heading back to my paint shop. I've decided to go with the black on the hood. It will have blue pearl in it so it will actually look black until the light hits it, which will give off a blue shimmer. I have a Mach hood scoop so I'll do all that at the same time. Im also thinking of painting the inner headlight pots and the taillight panel the same black. Like the Boss 302's had (See Pic for the headlight idea). Any thoughts ???? I don't see many like that. I like to be different !

I know there was somewhere on here that had the measurements for the blakout hoods. I just can't seem to find it !!

I like the headlight and taillight panel blackout. My car had the taillight blacked out when I bought it but not the headlights. I'm a long way off from this decision but I'm still tossing it around.

Boy I haven't posted anything here for a while !! Probably because I haven't done SFA for a while !!:ohmy:... But its a new year and I am slowly getting on with life. With that being said I did finally get out to the shop to get some work done on the weekend. The major issue I have is the wheel alignment issue. The shop I took it to couldn't make it work with just adjusting the eccentric. The LCA wouldn't travel far enough to make it right. so I had to figure something out. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned shims for the UCA, and it jogged my memory of there being shims in there when I did the teardown. So this weekend I loosened the UCA's and shimmed away. I used a level with the LCA's in the neutral position and shimmed the UCA's until the wheels were level. I figure that way I can adjust +/- with the LCA. The pic below shows how far out the camber was. I haven't got the tires back on yet but hopefully its much better now.

I have the turn signal housings back from the plating shop for the hood scoop so that will be my next job. That and getting the hood and tail light section painted black with blue pearl when I do the scoop.

I gotta say lifes been very hard lately but it sure felt good to get back to work on the car.:001_smile:

Well I played with the eccentic adjustment a bit last night and all seems to be much better. I figured that since I had the car on the jack I might as well put on the splash pans and make sure all the suspension fasteners were tightened up on each side.

I was advised, that after a complete suspension rebuild, to go back after a little while and check all the fasteners. Im glad I did, it seems most were a bit loose.

So hopefully the alignment shop can now do their thing.

This weekend I'll start on the hood scoop and hood. The big isuue there is gonna be, do I cut a hole in the hood or not. The air filter presses right up on the hood. I dont even have enough room under there to put on the stud to hold the filter down. Ive tried the thinest air filter I can find. I may have to try the one pictured below. If that doesnt work then Im gonna have to cut the hood. I REALLY don't want to do that !!

That doesn't seem right, do you have a high intake or big carb spacer or something? I'm setting mine up to be ram air by modifying the stock air cleaner so I have a hole in my hood but even with a 1 1/2" gasket to seal it I still am going to have to raise the whole unit up at least another inch before I touch.

Here's a pic. You can see the dimple I made when I closed the hood with the stud in place for the air cleaner. You can also see where the rubber is sticking to the underside of the hood (Arrows) from the filter. I think it because of the larger Cleveland Heads and the Edelbrock intake and carb. I did hear somewhere that in the 70's cars with the Clevelands they had a different motor mount location. A bit lower.

As for the ram air idea, I was considering that as well. It would be simple for me to use the original air breather and make a seal to the hood. The only concern is water/rain. I don't plan on driving much in the rain but where I live it rains a lot !! I guess I could make a drain hole with a drain hose on the bottom of the air breather and use a good filter.....Hmmmm....now Im talking myself into it !!