Sign in to follow this  
flight96

My 69 Vert Project...Let The Games Begin

Is it easier to reskin the door with it one the car?

Bill

I like to hang the skin on the door while still on the car to just to make sure of the lines. Roll the lip over to secure the skin, then, remove the door and finish the skin on the bench.

Well the second new hood finally showed up, this time its not beat to crap. It is in excellent shape, not a scratch !!!

I have the drivers door re-skinned and painted the inside. I also painted the under side of the hood. Once it's dry I can put it in the parts room until its needed. The door hinges were OK so I had them bead blasted, then I sprayed them black with Imron. That's the same paint thats used on aircraft. Almost bullet proof. Once dry I installed new bushings. They came out very nice. I think it will look good, black hinges against the blue door jams. It stays with the black and blue 'theme'.

Engine Update....I spoke to the machine shop o few days ago and all is going well. Found a nice harmonic balancer and the build is on track. Now I'm gonna have to get the trans started.

I have to go to Calgary for the week for work so I won't be able to get any work done this week...bummer....Nice weather here now and it's killing me that Im still sooooooo far away from being done. I was hoping for May, but now I'll be happy to have it done in July.:mad:

Still, it's coming along nicely so don't rush it. I always have a hard time balancing motivation vs. patience personally.

One note on the underside of the hood, you may want to remove the latch plate and go natural with it, that's the first chip you'll get closing it.

what are you using for a paint gun setup? equipment?:whistling:

I have 2 DeVilbis HVLP guns. One for small jobs and one for complete jobs.

I am still in Clagary, it has been -30 here all week !!! My Lord its just un-humane this cold, I can't wait to get back home !! The great thing is, I did get to the Mustang shop here and got some well needed parts. Both front signal lights (The ones in the valance), door handles and a complete rubber grommet kit as well as a bunch of small iteme. It sure does start to add up when ya factor in all the little things.....

Still, it's coming along nicely so don't rush it. I always have a hard time balancing motivation vs. patience personally.

One note on the underside of the hood, you may want to remove the latch plate and go natural with it, that's the first chip you'll get closing it.

Ya know I was thinking about that when I was painting the hood...Thanks for the advice.....

Well I am picking up the motor today !! I'm a little giddy. I will have to put it in my other shop until the car is ready for it. I still have to get the trans rebuilt. I am trying to decide what stall converter to go with...if any...any suggestions? The guys at the shop figure the HP to be in the 400-420 range with 400lbs of tourqe. Im not gonna be 'racing' :whistling: the car, more like a weekend fun beast. Im going to be rebuilding the original FMX trans.

On the sheet metal side of the project, the LH 1/4 skin arrived today so hopefully I can get the door and 1/4 dry fitted and lined up.

I will post pics when I get home.

Here are some engine pics !! Whoo-hoooo....I'm Getting the trans re-built this week, should be done by the weekend. As for the car, I started to cut the LH 1/4 panel off....what a mess. Its gonna need clam shells and trunk drops:surrender:...Man it never ends....

looking good!! great progress!! keep up the good work!:tongue_smilie:

decided on headers/exhaust yet?

Here are some engine pics !! Whoo-hoooo....I'm Getting the trans re-built this week, should be done by the weekend. As for the car, I started to cut the LH 1/4 panel off....what a mess. Its gonna need clam shells and trunk drops:surrender:...Man it never ends....

:scared:

Well ya know, that's pretty typical of what most cars are hiding on the inside I would say. Peeling my quarter back like that was pretty much the major deciding factor in choosing to repair my accident damage as opposed to setting the poor girl to pasture and starting over. The hidden stuff was just way to clean to do that and who knows what another car would have been like regardless of how the outside looked.

101_0187.sized.jpg

So I have the 1/4 cut off and found way more rust...On the tail light panel. No biggie, I was expecting that, but, it looks like there is an extra little panel between the tail light panel and the 1/4 panel ?? Or is this all part of the tail light panel...It doesn't look like it....

Also, there is a huge rust hole where the bracket meets the inner wheelhouse and rear floor pan(See pics).

And last...but not least, it looks like I'm gonna have to replace the trunk floors....I'm thinking about this complete part . Has anyone done this before ???? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

To you guys that have done these re-builds........ Did you ever get the feeling, during your builds, that its all a bit overwhelming.... It seems things were going well for a while, but now Im finding more issues than I expected in the back end of the car. (Rust/wiring). Is it just a phase ??? Ya know, the restoration blues ??? :huh:

YES! we've all been there, at least I know I have. The old-timers always say take your time and cost estimates and triple them, and it's true. There were times I went to the garage, stared at the car for a minute, turned off the lights and walked away. But I always got the urge to go back and keep going. You just have to compartmentalize everything - do one manageable job at a time, don't look at the big picture all at once. Pace yourself. You can't rush it, and sometimes you'll be short on cash or time, and it WILL take longer than you planned.

My rule has always been "when its not going well, walk away" because that's when I make mistakes or get sloppy.

Yes, I am there right now. I could go on & on but the short of it is I had/have a very solid TX car that I payed someone $6000 to F up. I have repaired almost all of it now & it is always just one more thing. I find it is always easier to work with someone else. Problem is all my single friends are now married or miles away, the new wife will not let them come out & play...

Mike

:scared:

I'll bet you're suprised looks like someone took off your quarter with a cold chisel. That rust is to be expected on the wheel housing though. That's why there's a huge market for them and this is the best time to fix it.

I'll bet you're suprised looks like someone took off your quarter with a cold chisel. That rust is to be expected on the wheel housing though. That's why there's a huge market for them and this is the best time to fix it.

HAHAHAHA....Ya...That would be me....My neighbors REALLY love that tool !! It works great for a quick cut....My kingdom for a plasma cutter !!

As for the housings, I was just gonna replace the outer one and repair the inner, but after more cutting (With a zip wheel), I will definately have to replace both of them..... :-(

Well I have almost all the rust cut out on the drivers side. I still have to cut the trunk floor out but I want to wait until I have the new one before I cut it. In the mean time I have dry fit the inner wheel house and it fits quit nicely. Hopefully the trunk piece shows up soon. I'm getting anxious to see the 1/4 panel back on...

Oh...I look forward to beating them down !! A little frustration venting !!! I figured that since I have the gas tank out I may as well get it cleaned. After its steam cleaned I should probably re-seal the tank. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good gas tank sealer ?