Sign in to follow this  
70mstang

70 Convertible Project

Nice job!

How about a pic from the front that shows more of the car. I'm very interested to see the effect of the stripes on a 69/70. The close-up pic above looks fantastic, but I can't help but wonder how it looks from a little bit farther away. I've been seriously thinking about doing my car black with silver stripes similar to the width that you have used, but can't seem to find a pic of one.

Pic or no pic, the car looks great!

Headlights are working! Definately a newbie wiring error, didn't have the relay plugged in all the way.

I think I need to double check my timing just be be sure it's at top dead center on plug 1 when I go to start it.

When I can get it out in the sun I'll get that far away pic for ya. My driveway slopes just enough that it makes it too hard to push it in and out of the garage by myself. Here's one from the side when it came home from paint. Kind of hard to see, since it's a cell phone pic.

[ATTACH]9199[/ATTACH]

As far as I can tell, everything electrical is working now.

The American Autowire kit turned out excellent. I had to reaplace my turn signal switch after me & AAW spent about an hour on the phone tracing wires as to what went where. I got incredibly lucky and found a NOS switch on ebay with a buy it now price of $45. The Korean crap was all listed at $100+.

I finished my electrical with hooking up the sequential LED taillights

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150227893504843

Nuttn cooler!

Worked on the interior. Ever notice how all remanufacturers think coupes & convertibles are totally interchangable. Back seats in the verts are about 4 inches narrower. But to get it on the road I just did my best to tuck the extra vinyl under the seat. Will get some pics tomorrow during daylight hours.

I'm gonna give her a try at starting tomorrow. I got the engine close to TDC on plug 1 and got some sputters today. But had to mow the lawn and do family time.

Are you talking about the seat covers? Not sure who you got them from but I know they do make a vert specific one for the back, you just have to buy it seperately instead of in a full front/back kit.

Got mine from NPD, this set was hopefully going to be enuff to get me passable while running around until I saved up enough money to have a custom interior done.

But, I have to put things on hold now, while testing out the top I found a leak at the top of the drivers side cylinder. The cheap plastic Ford used is stripped where the lines hook up. But they are 41 years old so they can fall apart, I suppose. But it throws off any chance for me to have a new top on before Mustang Week.

I'll still play around with getting her started , I think I just need more gas in the tank. 2 gallons doesn't seem to reach the pickup or else my fuel pump is not working. Always something!

With Mustang Week in the past it is time to get back to work.

I ordered all metal hydraulic canisters for my top from http://www.convertibleparts.com/hydrauli.htm. They fit perfectly and are indeed all metal it took about 20 minutes to put them in and half an hour to clean more of the oil that leaked out. I'll fill up the resevior and bleed the system and I should be ready to put in my interior.

I've been working on turning the engine over. I've added a Pertronix ignition under the stock cap. I've got gas up to the carb and seems to fire up but think I have to play with the timing since I am getting some backfire coming up from the carb. So close!

A couple of small updates

Filled the Shelby gap on my trunk lid[ATTACH]9290[/ATTACH]

After I finished bleeding my top hydraulics and found no leaks (YAY!) I could slap in my back seat and will put in the front seats by this weekend.

[ATTACH]9291[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]9292[/ATTACH]

This interior is just to get me on the road and will get changed out later on.

Early next week, I'll pull the car over to the shop for Magnafow exhaust, front end alignment. She'll be ready for tags after that. I still have some minor things to work on but <knock on wood> she'll be a driver project after this.

I bought the stick on Mustang letters for the gap on my Shelby trunk lid as well, I plan to paint the gap black though to match my tail panel since my car doesn't have stripes. Did you match them up to the original spacing or just guess? They look good either way just curious. I planned to make a template for the spacing off my stock lid.

I bought the stick on Mustang letters for the gap on my Shelby trunk lid as well, I plan to paint the gap black though to match my tail panel since my car doesn't have stripes. Did you match them up to the original spacing or just guess? They look good either way just curious. I planned to make a template for the spacing off my stock lid.

Hey Pak =) Yep I matched the letters to the spacing on the original trunk. I made a template using the blue painters tape and then thmbnailed the space from the bottom, since the top line of the gap bows a bit and I didn't want my letters to look like a rainbow.

I just dropped off the car for alignment, flowmaster exhaust and a general safety check. AND .. She's now tagged & titled!!!

Hey Pak =) Yep I matched the letters to the spacing on the original trunk. I made a template using the blue painters tape and then thmbnailed the space from the bottom, since the top line of the gap bows a bit and I didn't want my letters to look like a rainbow.

I just dropped off the car for alignment, flowmaster exhaust and a general safety check. AND .. She's now tagged & titled!!!

Stopped by the shop to check up on my baby and put on the side view mirror, again. Not too much progress yet, but she's on the short list now. No good outdoor shots yet, but should be soon. I'll start looking for a local upholstery shop for a top this week so I can have it lined up.

[ATTACH]9374[/ATTACH]

Here's the best shot I could get of the stripes down the front.

[ATTACH]9373[/ATTACH]

Stopped by the shop to check up on my baby and put on the side view mirror, again. Not too much progress yet, but she's on the short list now. No good outdoor shots yet, but should be soon. I'll start looking for a local upholstery shop for a top this week so I can have it lined up.

[ATTACH]9374[/ATTACH]

Here's the best shot I could get of the stripes down the front.

[ATTACH]9373[/ATTACH]

Yep, on a Shelby they have the plastic honeycomb filler with the Shelby logo across the back.

[ATTACH]9375[/ATTACH]

I didn't want to put the honeycomb nor Shelby on my Mustang. So to get a smooth surface to use, I filled in the 1 inch gap in the middle of the 2 inch gap with fibreglass layers and smoothed it down.

[ATTACH]9377[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]9378[/ATTACH]

Yep, on a Shelby they have the plastic honeycomb filler with the Shelby logo across the back.

[ATTACH]9375[/ATTACH]

I didn't want to put the honeycomb nor Shelby on my Mustang. So to get a smooth surface to use, I filled in the 1 inch gap in the middle of the 2 inch gap with fibreglass layers and smoothed it down.

[ATTACH]9377[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]9378[/ATTACH]