Sign in to follow this  
70mstang

70 Convertible Project

Ordered my T5 set up from Modern Driveline yesterday. Should be here in about a week. I'll snap some photos of that when it gets here. Other than that no real updates.

Still waiting for room at the shop for the touch up body work & paint. It's like knowing your next on the list at the steakhouse watching all those people eating and your starving!

I'll be ordering my wheels in the next week or so.

http://coyswheel.com/coys-c67.html Chrome 17x8. I've been toying with the idea of staggering them, thinking 17x9 in the back. Anyone have pics of the staggered set up?

Ordered my T5 set up from Modern Driveline yesterday. Should be here in about a week. I'll snap some photos of that when it gets here. Other than that no real updates.

Still waiting for room at the shop for the touch up body work & paint. It's like knowing your next on the list at the steakhouse watching all those people eating and your starving!

I'll be ordering my wheels in the next week or so.

http://coyswheel.com/coys-c67.html Chrome 17x8. I've been toying with the idea of staggering them, thinking 17x9 in the back. Anyone have pics of the staggered set up?

I wish I had the cash right now for one of those T5 setups, I keep trying to look for a good deal on a used one but it's always a crap shoot as to how good it really it is and I would rather buy new than find I need to rebuild one shortly after doing the swap.

I am going staggered on my set up since I don't imagine the real need to rotate them like my DD's. I don't have pics but this car has just about the same exact set up as I will except that I will have another 1/2 inch BS on the rear so they they don't stick out further than the front does.

These are 17x8 up front with a 245/45 tire and 17x9.5 out back with a 275/40 tire. I really like the look of the extra meat outback, I have 225 tires all around on a 7" wide right now so all 245 on a 8" would have been an improvment anyway but I just think staggered is an overall better look.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2900&d=1208880275

I wish I had the cash right now for one of those T5 setups, I keep trying to look for a good deal on a used one but it's always a crap shoot as to how good it really it is and I would rather buy new than find I need to rebuild one shortly after doing the swap.

I am going staggered on my set up since I don't imagine the real need to rotate them like my DD's. I don't have pics but this car has just about the same exact set up as I will except that I will have another 1/2 inch BS on the rear so they they don't stick out further than the front does.

These are 17x8 up front with a 245/45 tire and 17x9.5 out back with a 275/40 tire. I really like the look of the extra meat outback, I have 225 tires all around on a 7" wide right now so all 245 on a 8" would have been an improvment anyway but I just think staggered is an overall better look.

Pak, how much are you wanting to spend?? The guys I got mine are pretty fair, they are cheaper then most. You may want to try them. BTW, what wheels are on that Boss? That is BadA--.

Pak, how much are you wanting to spend?? The guys I got mine are pretty fair, they are cheaper then most. You may want to try them. BTW, what wheels are on that Boss? That is BadA--.

The answer is as little as possible!! I'm still searching for the best price, here's my current thread on that: http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=7603&highlight=deal

The ones in the picture are the Newstalgia wheels that came out a few years ago, the ones I want are almost identical but made by American Racing. Both are Billet Aluminum but have different center caps. The Newstalgia ones are much more pricey.

The answer is as little as possible!! I'm still searching for the best price, here's my current thread on that: http://www.1969stang.com/mustang/forum/showthread.php?t=7603&highlight=deal

The ones in the picture are the Newstalgia wheels that came out a few years ago, the ones I want are almost identical but made by American Racing. Both are Billet Aluminum but have different center caps. The Newstalgia ones are much more pricey.

Does anyone have a pic of how the hydraulic lines are run for the convertible tops? I have the top back on but think there were some brackets that held the lines to metal behind the seat. I didn't get good enuff pics!

My Modern Driveline pieces came in! I'll load up pics when I can. Going with the cable clutch

Best news is that my Mustang will be in the body shop in 2 weeks for final fit, sanding & PAINT!!!

All of my Modern Driveline pieces have arrived now. The car is scheduled for paint in a week so when it's gone, I'll have room in the garage to work on the driveline.

[ATTACH]6361[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6362[/ATTACH]

I've had the transmission for about a year now.

[ATTACH]6363[/ATTACH]

Little stuff I have been working on while waiting for the body shop to get room.

Laid down some FatMat .. like Duramat but half the price :tongue_smilie:

[ATTACH]6458[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]6459[/ATTACH]

Did some fiberglass work on the Shelby Extensions to fill in the gap between the tail light panel. The body shop can pretty it up.

[ATTACH]6460[/ATTACH]

The car is getting picked up TODAY!!!!!

Now that the Mustang is over for final fit finish & paint, I had a chance to start a dry run on my T5 swap. I ran into an issue where the late model bellhousing doesn't fit over the original flywheel. I double checked the fit of the bellhousing and it fits fine without the flywheel. I think I need a new flywheel that fits inside the belhousing, cause I want to go with the cable clutch set up. Just hate that Z bar.

Not too much progress on the painting yet. Right now they are finishing off the body lines on the aftermarket coupe/convertible rear quarters. Since the coupes have 3 bodylines and convertibles have 2, we're doing some minor fabrication.

[ATTACH]6535[/ATTACH]

The Maier Racing Shelbh trunk lid & extensions are near complete. Bolted & glued on with some aerospace bonding agent :whistling: Next step is to smooth it all together with kitty hair to get rid of the bodylines.

[ATTACH]6533[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6534[/ATTACH]

Finally a little update! I've had to work every weekend for the past few weeks so not too much time to spend on the car.

I got in my new 157 tooth flywheel. One thing about Modern Driveline is that their instructions are very limited in what they say and look to be written by someone with a limited grasp of the English language. I've downloaded a bunch of directions from Mustang Monthly and other places that give a better explanation of the steps to swap out the t-5.

[ATTACH]6659[/ATTACH]

I've finished with the disc brake set up and will swap those out when the car comes home.

[ATTACH]6658[/ATTACH]

I got to visit the car in the shop, it's still slow going since my buddy can only work on it over the weekend, but it's coming along nicely. We're working on the Shelby trunk lid & fender extensions. Getting them smooth and perfect. The additional body line on the repop fenders is now gone and it's looking more like it is supposed to. In case anyone runs into this, the only fenders I could find were coupe/convertible or the fastback. Coupes have an extra body line and had to cut it out and build up the other one to make it more like stock.

[ATTACH]6661[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]6662[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]6660[/ATTACH]

The spoiler is almost done. Once this piece is done the rest is just regular fit & finish. I found my primary color, Bentley has a beautiful deep green called Midnight Emerald color code MNEE. I had looked at Honda Cypress Pearl EJ6-DD too but think the Bentley color is deeper.

[ATTACH]6710[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6711[/ATTACH]