ThePoose

Turning kick panel vent openings into speaker enclosures

Don't know if anyone has done this, but thought I'd post here to see if there are any issues I'm not thinking of. I don't like the looks of the kick panels with the speaker pods, I sure don't want to cut holes in the doors I just had repaired, and I never really never used the vents, so was thinking about building a fiberglass and metal enclosure for some 5-inch (approx) speakers. They would mount in the same spots as the vents, so should seal the cabin. Other than not having the vent handles visible, unless I do a modification to fake that up, are there any issues that could be caused by doing this?

It is an AC car, in case anyone is concerned about my comfort. 

Thanks.

There was someone that did it here: https://1969stang.com/forum/index.php?/topic/48446-stealth-speaker-install-in-fresh-air-vents/

I looked at it, but decided against it, but if you can guarantee a water tight seal there, I think it would be great.   Since all of the water that goes in the cowl will be landing on your speaker enclosure, it needs to be very waterproof.

I did this, and I have detail pictures of my installation.   I’m traveling right now. I can post them in the next couple days.
I used the existing vent enclosures, Sealed the flapper door and the closed position.

I built a plywood covering that I screwed over the top of the opening, and inserted my speaker in there, sound clipping, and I sealed  it off.

If you look back through my 1970 convertible build thread should be pictures in there.

May also be pictures in the technical forum

Vic

I removed my vents and replaced with 6inch mid-range speakers. Speakers were mounted to 1/8inch ABS adaptors sized to the hexagonal vent recesses. (The corresponding tweeters were mounted where the dash speaker used to be). In my case, I made custom upholstered kick panels, which included the speaker grill, to eliminate the stock vent and handle. I used foam speaker baffle/surround to waterproof the back of the speakers and used some dynamat to reduce any vibrations from the sheet metal. With two more speakers in the rear armrests and a sub in the trunk with 1000 watts the systems sounds great three houses away. :)

I've done this as well, and I may be the only idiot to have tried to save the vent feature, AND put a 5.25 speaker hovering in the opening.  I know, I know..... the water!  well, I try not to drive my girl in the rain much if ever, and it hasn't been a problem for me yet.  I actually built a piece of bracketry out of sheet metal that spanned the vent opening, but in order to keep the airflow, I used 1/2in standoffs to mount the bracket away from the wall.  This allows air to flow in and around the speaker if you've slid the vent open.  It reduces the overall airflow, but I usually didn't want it going at full blast anyway.  I also opened all the area around the speaker in the bracket to let as much air thru as it could handle,  I'm really happy with the outcome.

I built a cover out of a metal speaker cover, and dressed the edges with some flexible trim.  It looks decent, gives me good sound up front, and I haven't shut down my old louvers or changed any interior panels.  If I were doing this these days I would design a plastic 3D printed speaker holder, but this was before I could CAD in Fusion, and had a 3D printer.

Now, the VERY astute of you will say: "Ahhh.... but what about THE EMERGENCY BRAKE?!?!?!"  like you got me or something.... It DID interfere with that, and you know what I did?  I installed 5/8in tall steel spacers between the wall and E-brake bracket mount!  This worked really well!  I also makes it easier to get your foot on the e-brake.  Now, I don't have a stick-shift.  Someone might argue that the positioning of this pedal to right 5/8in might bother a stick driver.  IDK, it's possible, but I can't tell its much different, and I'm really satisfied with how everything came out.

Call me crazy.

9 hours ago, 70Boss351 said:

I removed my vents and replaced with 6inch mid-range speakers. Speakers were mounted to 1/8inch ABS adaptors sized to the hexagonal vent recesses. (The corresponding tweeters were mounted where the dash speaker used to be). In my case, I made custom upholstered kick panels, which included the speaker grill, to eliminate the stock vent and handle. I used foam speaker baffle/surround to waterproof the back of the speakers and used some dynamat to reduce any vibrations from the sheet metal. With two more speakers in the rear armrests and a sub in the trunk with 1000 watts the systems sounds great three houses away. :)

I love this idea of putting the tweeters in the dash.  I wanted to add some but could not figure out an inconspicuous location.

Thanks. Some great ideas here. Aslanefe, what did you use to make the mold for the full enclosure you show here?
 image.png.e1376189e9890a177c52024f8b82bb13.png

I've used styrofoam in the past to build the shape, but I'm sure there's something better. 

42 minutes ago, ThePoose said:

Thanks. Some great ideas here. Aslanefe, what did you use to make the mold for the full enclosure you show here?
 image.png.e1376189e9890a177c52024f8b82bb13.png

I've used styrofoam in the past to build the shape, but I'm sure there's something better. 

A small bucket, some plywood, masking tape and tin sheet.