Sign in to follow this  
bartzzimpson

Stealth speaker install in fresh air vents

Those kick panels with built-in speaker pods are soooo ugly and make emergency brake operation impossible so I decided to sacrifice my fresh air vents in order to install 5” speakers behind the kick panels. My car has factory AC so no big deal. For those of you without AC, this mod will render the fresh air vents inoperable so might not be as appealing.

I’m very pleased with the results so thought I would share my experience.

Here are the basic steps plus some photos…

To make room for the speaker, cut off the vent cable and remove the bracket that holds the cable in place. Leave the vents in the fully closed position.

Keep the plastic cable handle to reinstall later.

Cut/grind away the ribbing around the plastic air vent housing and any unnecessary plastic around the perimeter.

Fashion a mounting plate from 12mm MDF (see pic 1). Paint it black. You need to make a recess on the back face of the plate so that it can sit flat over the top of the vent cable. I used an electric router.

Mount the speaker on the BACK face of the MDF plate. I used 5.25" ALPINE SPR-50 TYPE-R co-axial speakers.

Mount the MDF plate to the body using self-tapping screws.

Secure a piece of perforated metal speaker mesh over the speaker.

Now for the tricky bit; you need to cut out the centre section of the kick panel as well as trimming the back side to make it absolutely flat (see pics 2 and 3). I used a utility knife to remove the bulk of the plastic, followed by a scalpel.

Install the kick panel over the speaker mesh (see pic 4) using the two original screws.

Add a piece of rubbe
r channelling around the hole cut-out for a more finished look (see pic 5).

pic1_zps12640464.jpg

pic2_zpsf9e23134.jpg

pic3_zpsbf07077a.jpg

pic4_zps329b05b4.jpg

pic5_zps7825bb18.jpg

Edited by bartzzimpson

Wow - looks like they belong there. I have an AC car as well but not sure I want to give up my fresh air vents. I am interested in stealth sound though. My car has the deluxe interior and I have the factory 4x6 speakers in the doors. I have seen the speakers that go under the seats but not sure how they sound. What are you doing for low sounds?

trying to revive this thread from a few years ago...

That really is remarkable work! I may very well take this advice as install the same thing. The more I look at those speaker pods, the less I like them. This, while giving up the air vent, as least retains aesthetics, and doesn't seem to get in the way near as much as other solutions.

How is this solution on the drivers side? Does it interfere with the headlight switch or the e-brake lever? Could you post pics of drivers side?