aslanefe

Which pin for solenoid S terminal?

1 hour ago, Midlife said:

The one just below the large power pin.  It's color is blue/red.  That wire comes from the neutral safety switch/backup harness, which in turn comes from the ignition switch.

Thanks Midlife.

I am chasing a no start issue. Sometimes when I turn the key, it won’t crank; especially if it sat for a day or two. Sometimes turning the key on-off a few times, it will crank. If I apply + to S terminal, it will crank. And for the next few starts, it will start with key. But if it is not started for sometime, like for a day, may need to apply + to S terminal again. It may be the ignition switch or neutral/back up switch acting up.

5 hours ago, aslanefe said:

Thanks Midlife.

I am chasing a no start issue. Sometimes when I turn the key, it won’t crank; especially if it sat for a day or two. Sometimes turning the key on-off a few times, it will crank. If I apply + to S terminal, it will crank. And for the next few starts, it will start with key. But if it is not started for sometime, like for a day, may need to apply + to S terminal again. It may be the ignition switch or neutral/back up switch acting up.

When you get the no crank try to start the car in neutral & see if it cranks then. I had a problem with my first Mustang & my first car (approx 1976-77) a 1970 Coupe that would not start in park, I would have to put it in neutral to start. IIRC it was the neutral/back up switch that fixed it, but then again that was some 46 years ago & the memory is not what it used to be.

I also have had issues with the Neutral Safety Switch, and/or ignition switch wiring.  

For the in-dash ignition switch, I have a similar set up on my '68 as '69, and wound up replacing my in-dash switch.  It was just worn out after 50+ years.  The internal contacts were shot.

Ersin, hope you are doing well.

Vic

The problem turned out to be the S terminal of the new Napa  Echlin solenoid. This is the second Echlin solenoid that had the same issue. Seems like the S post is a little loose and not contacting with the magnet wire inside sometimes. 

On 11/23/2023 at 9:34 AM, TexasEd said:

Be careful with that jumping the car from the solenoid.  That’s how I started my car in reverse when I thought it was in park and it backed into a tree.  Now it is getting a full body and paint overhaul.

IMG_1495.jpeg

So sorry that happened to you.  You must have wanted to cry when that happened.  I also recently started my car from the solenoid while working on a non start issue.  Same thing happened.  Luckily, I did not get hurt and was able to stop the car before it crashed.  I dove into the passenger side and threw the gear shifter in park (luckily, passenger door was open at the time).  Just some bruises, but I could have killed my self and maybe killed someone else also.  A lesson to all of us to use blocks and put the parking brake on when starting the car from solenoid.

I’m not sure it was in reverse at the time.  I think it was in park and popped into reverse once it started.

While we're on the subject of solenoids, I would recommend to anyone who has an older Ford vehicle with the solenoid mounted on the inner fender to occasionally have someone start the vehicle while you observe the solenoid. This should be done with the ambient lighting low enough to visually observe an electrical arc if one is present, preferably at night.

I had an older Mustang with the original solenoid still in it, no problems with starting at all. My Dad started the vehicle while I just so happened to be looking into the engine bay and sure enough, a large arc of electrical current ran from the housing to one of the mounting screws. After close examination I could see a small fracture had formed in the housing after about 50 years of age and heat cycling.

On 12/7/2023 at 10:58 AM, BobW70Mach1 said:

So sorry that happened to you.  You must have wanted to cry when that happened.  I also recently started my car from the solenoid while working on a non start issue.  Same thing happened.  Luckily, I did not get hurt and was able to stop the car before it crashed.  I dove into the passenger side and threw the gear shifter in park (luckily, passenger door was open at the time).  Just some bruises, but I could have killed my self and maybe killed someone else also.  A lesson to all of us to use blocks and put the parking brake on when starting the car from solenoid.

I’m not sure it was in reverse at the time.  I think it was in park and popped into reverse once it started.

Yep, put my car back in the garage and did not look at it for 3 weeks.  It's been stripped to bare metal and had all the body work done now.  In final block sanding phase.