N.D Mach 1

Original cylinder head upgrade

Hello I have the original steel cylinder heads on my 4 barrel 351w I'm not to sure about getting the mass produced heads watching the videos of people saying how they leak. Is there things I can do to my original heads like port matching? Different rockers? Just looking for suggestion or maybe a reliable head I can get without needing to do and valve jobs. 

you still missed answering several questions which makes it difficult to give useful suggestions.

high perf iron heads like world products or rhs are probably the cheapest but edelbrock e streets may also work for your app but they are more than $1,000.00.

you should not buy any heads until you know what your pistons are.

barnett, any experience with BluePrint heads such as the HP9009?  I was thinking of getting a set as they have an Intake runner volume of 190cc which other manufacturers charge quite a bit more for.  Their intake valve diameter is also 2.020 in. 

These heads are also $505 each through Summit.

Also barnett, do you build your own heads?  Can't remember where I seen them but I seen a set of Ford aluminum heads advertised as Barnett heads.

i don't know anything about the blueprint heads other than that they are chinese but i know about blueprint engines and don't have one good thing to say about them.

the runner size is very misleading and confusing because you can have a 190cc runner size that flows significantly less than a 180 runner due to poor design etc. also, a good flowing 190 cc runner is way more than you need for that engine, and can actually make it run worse overall than a head with a smaller runner etc. good flowing heads with a 170 cc runner are more than good enough for a stock or nearly stock 351 i guarantee it, unfortunately, good flowing heads like trick flow and afr and brodix etc, are expensive.

also, it is wise to disassemble any chinese head and check out the valve guide fit and valve seal etc before you use them. you also need to check the valve tip height if you do not have adjustable rockers.

Unfortunately, for aftermarket cylinder heads, $1000 won't buy anything more than something imported.  Fortunately, the 1969 (C9OE) and 1970 (D0OE)351W castings are one the better production cylinder heads Ford offered so you can work with them and gain some performance.

Because of budget when building my motor I reworked my stock heads like 69ShelbyGT350H did.  Did my own port work under the guidance of the engine machine shop.  Mostly the exhaust ports.  They look like what 69ShelbyGT350H did.  Had the machinist where I worked at the time machine the rocker arm stud casting bosses for screw in studs using a Bridgeport milling machine.  Then paid the engine machine shop for the remainder of the work,  resurface, install valve guide liners, hard exhaust seats, and 1.94 intake and 1.60 exhaust valves.

8 hours ago, barnett468 said:

i don't know anything about the blueprint heads other than that they are chinese but i know about blueprint engines and don't have one good thing to say about them.

the runner size is very misleading and confusing because you can have a 190cc runner size that flows significantly less than a 180 runner due to poor design etc. also, a good flowing 190 cc runner is way more than you need for that engine, and can actually make it run worse overall than a head with a smaller runner etc. good flowing heads with a 170 cc runner are more than good enough for a stock or nearly stock 351 i guarantee it, unfortunately, good flowing heads like trick flow and afr and brodix etc, are expensive.

also, it is wise to disassemble any chinese head and check out the valve guide fit and valve seal etc before you use them. you also need to check the valve tip height if you do not have adjustable rockers.

Thanks for the info. So some different choices would be cheap Chinese heads like Blueprint and check them over closely, Edelbrock e street heads that are decent bang for the buck, or save up for some AFR heads. I always see them get good reviews.

Or as others have said you can put some work into stock heads.

I port everything, including a stock rebuild.

for stock rebuilds you don’t need much more than some port clean up for improved flow.

if you want more performance then you port the heads for better flow as well as enlarging them. Also port the Intake (even the aluminum ones).

screw in studs, guideplates, and roller rockers.

for more performance you also want to improve the oil flow, add windage tray and oil pan baffles 

I live in a 351 Cleveland world..... enlarging my not always work.... Enlarging in the wrong way my yield less than more....

1969-70 351w heads..... I would clean them up and put them on........Save the bigger money heads for the stroker motor.

Don't tell me you have not looked at them....You know you want one....

Or just do what you fell right ....