MN69Grande

C4 is probably shot - HELP.

Well I talked to a couple more shops.  One guy gave me a good quote but looking at the paperwork he gave I suspect the parts maybe aren't that great.

@danno I drove over to Kennedy on lake like you suggested.  Mark was a really nice guy.  I think I talked a little to the owner as well.  But they didn't want to give me a price without taking it apart to see what was wrong with it.  Which I understand, but I would have liked a ball park figure.  Even a range of best case to worst case scenarios would have been helpful.  Maybe if I decide pull it myself I might take it over.  But I don't think I want to drag the whole car over there without a better idea of what I'm getting into.

Ya, I'm with unilec, give it a shot. As long as you don't lose any parts, what's the worse thing that can happen? You can't really end up with worse transmission, and you'll have some valuable information learned. Just keep everything organized and clean.

It can be done by rookies. My brother rebuilt the trans in his 93 BMW 525 which has 600 parts. No left over parts and it runs great. 

I used Ken "Badshoe" Collins's video to do my FMX by myself. You can see me digging into my FMX here:

http://redshost.com/gt350/index004.html

The C4 is way more popular and there is a lot more you can do to it. Here is the link to Ken's early C4 video:

http://badshoeproductions.com/c4.html

It's not a bad investment even if you want to get a better understanding of how your C4 works when you talk to the mechanics. Sample video provided by Ken Collins:

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 9:50 PM, MN69Grande said:

Well I talked to a couple more shops.  One guy gave me a good quote but looking at the paperwork he gave I suspect the parts maybe aren't that great.

@danno I drove over to Kennedy on lake like you suggested.  Mark was a really nice guy.  I think I talked a little to the owner as well.  But they didn't want to give me a price without taking it apart to see what was wrong with it.  Which I understand, but I would have liked a ball park figure.  Even a range of best case to worst case scenarios would have been helpful.  Maybe if I decide pull it myself I might take it over.  But I don't think I want to drag the whole car over there without a better idea of what I'm getting into.

I understand, I would have wanted a price estimate of some type.  Something to go by.  When Mark did the work on my carb, I did not ask a price.  I just left it with him, it took a couple weeks.  He worked on it when he had nothing else to do, which worked out fine for both of us.  He gave me a very reasonable price for what he did, maybe because I was not pushing or demanding.  I trusted them, and it worked out.  I would hope it would also for anyone else.  I know they like the classic cars and have a lot of them there.  If you are not in a hurry to get it done (because of winter) maybe they would be more reasonable?  Give them all winter to work on it,  pick it up when it is done?

If you have a heated garage, then maybe consider doing it yourself?  Those on this forum seem to think it can be done. If it was me, I would certainly want to do it myself. But because I know I do not have the time, I would consider that and probably let Mark take care of it.

On 10/26/2017 at 7:55 AM, 69ShelbyGT350H said:

I used Ken "Badshoe" Collins's video to do my FMX by myself. You can see me digging into my FMX here:

http://redshost.com/gt350/index004.html

The C4 is way more popular and there is a lot more you can do to it. Here is the link to Ken's early C4 video:

http://badshoeproductions.com/c4.html

It's not a bad investment even if you want to get a better understanding of how your C4 works when you talk to the mechanics. Sample video provided by Ken Collins

Can't beat his videos he has a talent that's unbeatable almost too detailed for the price.  

Well.  I took the transmission up to Proven Force a shop I've used before.  Should be back this week.  

The high and direct clutches were fried, the valve body was pretty beat up, and the governor was stuck.  My guess is debris from the failing parts clogged the governor as some have suggested in this thread - causing me to lose gears but obviously I was on the way to needing new parts.  They did say it looks like it was taken apart before, which is good because it was supposedly rebuilt 6 years ago.  Just looks like the previous shop didn't replace everything and used parts that could not handle the power. 

That said the original plan for the car was to just do a intake/carb swap and a slight Cam upgrade.  But I ended up with a completely different motor.