RPM

Is This An Oil Passage Plug?

I removed the remote oil filter due to a small leak I couldn't/got tired of trying to fix, and I'm looking for a spot to mount the oil temp sensor. I have a weld in bung for the oil pan, but if I can find an easier location I'll use it. 

This plug is located at the lower front of the 351w block, there is also one at the lower left. Are these oil passage ports? Could I mount my oil temp sensor there? 

IMG_20170413_161318.jpg

IMG_20170413_161334.jpg

18 hours ago, barnett468 said:

Why do you want an oil temp gauge?

Great question, now you sound like my brother :)

Because I had a hole that need filling and six gauges wasn't enough! I don't obviously, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. Need to remove the oil pan to replace the gasket anyway, so I'll just weld the bung to the pan.

Thanks for the help guys.

14 hours ago, RPM said:

Great question, now you sound like my brother :)

Because I had a hole that need filling and six gauges wasn't enough! I don't obviously, but it seemed like a good idea at the time. Need to remove the oil pan to replace the gasket anyway, so I'll just weld the bung to the pan.

Thanks for the help guys.

That's better than sounding like your sister.

You could add an oil level gauge too then.  : - o

I always enjoy seeing peaceful disagreements like this.  I agree with Barnett, why stop at 6 gauges?.  I came to the conclusion a long time ago that certain members of this forum have way too much free time to work on their cars.  I might be one of them in 10 years, then I will be the one putting an oil pressure, temperature, quantity and contamination gauge in my project car.  Have fun, go for it.

1 hour ago, danno said:

I agree with Barnett, why stop at 6 gauges?.  

I'm not so sure agreeing with Mike is a good thing. 

Who stopped at 6 gauges? The oil temp makes eight! With my auto trans I wanted a temp gauge for the fluid. The pod bezel for the center console front ash tray has two holes so the other hole "needed" the oil temp gauge. Now, they do sell hinge pillar trim pieces with gauge pods...Hmm....

On 4/13/2017 at 5:15 PM, RPM said:

I removed the remote oil filter due to a small leak I couldn't/got tired of trying to fix, and I'm looking for a spot to mount the oil temp sensor. I have a weld in bung for the oil pan, but if I can find an easier location I'll use it. 

This plug is located at the lower front of the 351w block, there is also one at the lower left. Are these oil passage ports? Could I mount my oil temp sensor there? 

IMG_20170413_161318.jpg

IMG_20170413_161334.jpg

You may be able to mount a block temp gauge there ,if you get oil from there when you remove that plug some thing may be just a little bit wrong