Sign in to follow this  
Vicfreg

Optima Battery

Trying to sort out the Optima "yellow top" versus "red top" spec on their website. I am going to run a trunk mounted battery, with a bunch of after market electrical stuff (dual fans, power amp, upgraded headlights, etc).  I am also going to run a 140 amp single wire alternator with a American Autowire aftermarket harness.

The Red Top "34R" seems more than adequate. It has 800 cold cranking amps, and a C20 of 50amp hours.  

Looking for experience/feedback/suggestions on which Optima battery to use

I've used Optima batteries in all types of applications, from my boat to several of my previous Mustangs. Red top batteries are great for something that is driven regularly, they do not like to be drained and not recharged, they die rather quickly when abused. I've had 4 or five yellow tops, and had issues with them loosing a cell. Thankfully they were under warrantee. My cranking battery in my boat is a yellow top I've had good success with since 2012 (it will probably die now that I gave it a compliment lol) and I have a blue top that is over 10 years old, and still going strong. They don't leak, don't smell, and for a trunk mount would be ideal. I'll continue using them.

I have an 01 Vette. The C5s have electronics beneath the battery and if battery acid gets under the tray it causes all kinds of havoc, so everyone I know in the club transplants with Optimas, because they are gel cells. When I bought the car it was two years old, had 10,000 miles and was in pristine condition- except the battery was dead. They are power hungry beasts and will flat line the battery if not driven for two weeks, so everyone plugs them into battery tenders. I have a yellow top  D34-78 that is going on 14 years old and shows no sign of failing anytime soon.

Had my first Red top optima take a dump on me about 1 month after 1 year warranty ran out, not sure why it died tho, it just wouldn't hold a charge.

Got the 2nd one in the car now and its been over a year with no problems...I do disconnect it when the car isn't in use however, but it always seems kinda weak after sitting for a week or 2 disconnected... Makes me wonder if its on its way out the door also

My Optima red is a little wonder. 3 years of faithful service. Cranks the engine like a lightning bolt, even when the car has been sitting out in the cold.

I do plug it on a tender during winter, when I use the car once a month or so. You won't be disappointed if you treat it well.

G

post-37557-0-73500400-1485545269.jpg

G, that picture is a nice open highway, for sure not the Boulevard Périphérique.....

I also got the 34/78 that has both the standard and GM style terminals. This is so I can run an secondary main power feed up front to supply my electric fans for the radiator and trans cooler.