Sign in to follow this  
Fordzilla06

Oil pressure sending unit

New to the forum here, but I have been reading for a while now. I just pick up a 69 fastback from a guy who was trying to make a semi drag car out of it. He installed some aftermarket gauges, one which hardline the oil pressure gauge into the aftermarket gauge. I'm trying to go back to stock with the gauge, or at least get rid of the hardline from the block to the gauge. What route should I go? Buy a new sending unit and wire to plug into my factory gauge. This is my first build and I'm a little lost due to all the junk and crappy wiring that has been installed. I have attached a picture of the oil pressure extension and hardline. post-45507-0-06285500-1473255837.jpeg

If you don't like the Hard line running into the cab you can also find aftermarket gauges easy enough with sending units that send an electric signal to the gauge.  Just look on Summit or Jegs.  

The big question on reinstalling the original is if the wiring harness has been cut up.  You can't easily connect it straight to the gauge.  There is a plug that comes out of the firewall that you attach a gauge harness too.  If you can still use that you good to go.  The original dash uses a circuit board on that back so using the harnesses is the easiest way to use the original equipment.

to answer your question, Yes remove the adaptor and install stock sender into the extension.

or if you wish to have both add a T and the stock sender and clean up the install.

+1.  Install a sending unit for the original gauge into the extension and reconnect it.  Then if the original gauge operates okay then you can remove the aftermarket gauge and clean up that mess.

Wound up installing an original sending unit. The wiring harness is trashed, the guy destroyed it, only wires that seem to be uncut are enough to power the MSD ignition. There's hot wires laying bare and cut everywhere. I suppose I will be ordering an AAW full harness soon. A complete rewire seems to be the only cure. Thanks for the input guys.

Wound up installing an original sending unit. The wiring harness is trashed, the guy destroyed it, only wires that seem to be uncut are enough to power the MSD ignition. There's hot wires laying bare and cut everywhere. I suppose I will be ordering an AAW full harness soon. A complete rewire seems to be the only cure. Thanks for the input guys.

Check out midlife first.  He can send you one for your car that will be cheaper and it has all the proper connectors.  I used one and it was super easy to put in (of course my dash was out). http://midlife66.com/

That's properly http://midlife66.com/harnesses or http://midlifeharness.com

I don't typically stock engine gauge feed harnesses, as they are different for each engine and I can't ID them to a specific engine.

I was assuming that his main harness had been hacked and didn't have the feeds to the engine bay any more. The gauge harness is only like 3 wires I think and CJ or Mustang unlimited has them. Also may want to look at the entire engine bay harness too again off CJ or Mustangs unlimited. Even if you buy an underdash from Midlife and new engine bay and gauge harnesses I found it was both cheaper and better than a generic harness. But that was just my experience.