Sign in to follow this  
69MC

Mach 1 carpet inserts

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the welcome. (This post may double up, as a responded earlier to your post but for some reason I didn't show up)

I am also considering alum-foul, so really glad you pointed that out.

Any recommendations in San Diego for: engine rebuild, tranny FMX rebuild and I'm also looking for a good body shop.

Thanks in advance, Mike

Sorry won't be much help with recommendations.  The only machine shop/motor builder in San Diego, that I have experience with, was Ed Hale's shop in El Cajon.  He has passed away and I really can't suggest anyone else.  Jay Bittle Performance AKA JBA in Kearny Mesa does come to mind.  He is pricey and like all these shops gets mixed reviews.  I have never been happy with any Body/paint shop.  Always expensive and usually only do about a 85% type of job.  Just look at who's doing the work.  Good shop down on Main in National City for C4 transmissions but never owned an FMX so no help there.  Be careful now this is where the ' upside down ' journey begins.  Brian

Sorry won't be much help with recommendations.  The only machine shop/motor builder in San Diego, that I have experience with, was Ed Hale's shop in El Cajon.  He has passed away and I really can't suggest anyone else.  Jay Bittle Performance AKA JBA in Kearny Mesa does come to mind.  He is pricey and like all these shops gets mixed reviews.  I have never been happy with any Body/paint shop.  Always expensive and usually only do about a 85% type of job.  Just look at who's doing the work.  Good shop down on Main in National City for C4 transmissions but never owned an FMX so no help there.  Be careful now this is where the ' upside down ' journey begins.  Brian

Thanks Brian!! I'm feeling the pain already.....but loving it..!!! ;)

Always expensive and usually only do about a 85% type of job.  Just look at who's doing the work.   Brian

Truer words were never spoken Brian. I don't think the San Diego area has the lock on crappy work.

Thanks for the welcome Bob! My name is Mike Chu and I'm originally from NY, born and raised, but moved out to San Diego 6 years ago. I finally decided that I could devote time to restoring a Mustang and found one locally about a month ago. She's a standard issue 1969 Mach 1 Auto, originally Champagne Gold/Black (painted Blue with a black vinyl roof at the moment) and she definitely needs work, but I'm enjoying the time spent on her. Hoping to get my son involved in the restoration and surprising him when he graduates from HS.

I'm looking forward to learning from everyone in the forum and maybe making a couple of local friends!

What kind of monster puts a vinyl roof on a Mustang fastback?

(not my thumbnails-seriously, can we get these damn things fixed? It's been going on two years)

What kind of monster puts a vinyl roof on a Mustang fastback?

(not my thumbnails-seriously, can we get these damn things fixed? It's been going on two years)

My vinyl roof is finally off..!  

I agree with you Max....can't believe that this was a dealer option in 69.

Hey man, welcome to the forums! I live in Rancho cucamonga, North of San Diego, awesome luck finding the build sheet. I pulled my whole mach 1 apart trying to find one but my car was made in the Los Angeles plant and I guess they said it's rare to get reports from that plant. I opted for the black inserts because my exterior color is blue and seats are white with white stripes (i believe original and the upholstery has the c9 number) can't have a red stripe with blue exterior.

Hey man, welcome to the forums! I live in Rancho cucamonga, North of San Diego, awesome luck finding the build sheet. I pulled my whole mach 1 apart trying to find one but my car was made in the Los Angeles plant and I guess they said it's rare to get reports from that plant. I opted for the black inserts because my exterior color is blue and seats are white with white stripes (i believe original and the upholstery has the c9 number) can't have a red stripe with blue exterior.

Los Angeles plant?  Perhaps you meant San Jose...

Is there a picture of this fastback with a vinyl roof? Would love to see that oddball.

Here's one of the embarrassing pictures. I bought this project car JUST to save it from the vinyl roof..!!! Haha.

post-45575-0-00817600-1482108441.jpg

I totally agree with your color choice! Did you check under the dash, both driverside and passenger. It may be wrapped around the wiring harness under the black factory tape (which should be non-sticky and just a wrap)... someone correct me if I'm wrong....

I totally agree with your color choice! Did you check under the dash, both driverside and passenger. It may be wrapped around the wiring harness under the black factory tape (which should be non-sticky and just a wrap)... someone correct me if I'm wrong....

I found my under the driver seat in the springs