Sign in to follow this  
Kevin427

Hooker Headers

I just installed a pair of Hooker # 6901-2HKR Stainless steel headers on my 69 Mach 351W. I purchased these to replace a set of the same Hookers but in mild steel. the steel ones fit very good, with just minor clearance issues at the floor board just in front of the trans cross-member. The new ones fit terribly. They are right up against the sides of the frame rails and the flanges to the head seem off just a bit. I installed them with Percy's aluminum gaskets and the right one sealed good but the left one leaks out the front and rear ports at the end bolts. I heat cycled them a few times going over the bolts each time and they still leak pretty good. Any one else run into these issues with Hooker's. I figures I would spend the extra bucks on a set that should last the life of the car and the clearance issues I can deal with but the leak I can't. any suggestions on gaskets? Thanks

I use to have a 1975 Ford F250 4x4 with a 390 and cast exhaust manifols that are prone to pitting and leaking. I bought a set of Ceramic gaskets from RemFlex, It crushes as it is torqued on and sealed all of my leaks. Check out their website and see if they have a set for you. 

I've always had great luck with Hooker headers (knock on wood). From posts over the past few years seems there qc ain't what it used to be. I would try and return/exchange em, and see if it's just that set. Or maybe try contacting Hooker directly.

I have found with headers the best gasket is no gasket at all..

If the head is flat and the header is flat there is no reason to leak?

Ford never used EX. gaskets...

I do understand that most headers are welded up ground down and sent out..

Take 10 min and look to see what you have before trying to bolt them on..

Dont think i ever saw an EX header gasket that didn't leak at some point..

With no gasket you may have a weep with a gasket you will have a leak..

Im I wrong?....

I don't think that's correct Ray, jmho, but dissimilar metals expand/contract at different rates that will = leaks, and exhaust leaks at the head can = burned valves.

Ford did use exhaust manifold gaskets, at least on the original engines I've came across.

My headers didn't leak for years with the "stock type" Felpro foil gaskets and "old school safety wiring" of the header bolts (pre Stage 8 days lol)

Edit; As far as what Ford used I should of said heat shield and not gasket, it was a thin piece of tin.

I had issues with mine and found that when putting a straight edge along the flat steel section  that bolts on the head there were a few higher point that i had to ground flat. I used gaskets with high temp exhaust silicone and haven't had any leeks since. Mine were mild steel.

I ordered a set of Flowtech gaskets today. I will install them this weekend. the reviews on these look good. I looked at the RemFlex and I think the port opening may be a little small for my Victor Jr heads?? A guy I work with recommended putting a heavy duty ratchet strap between the 2 headers and pulling them in, sounds like that may work too. 

Bolt them on, then get under the car and push them with your legs to slightly bend them in the direction you need them to go.  +1 on the Remflex gaskets.

HA! I did just that about a month ago. Worked nicely. Great minds think alike.