bryonbush

borgeson install question

Didnt realize this till i was taking everything apart, but i guess i need the power to manual steering adapter for the drag link. the converter piece is $150 but buying a manual center link is around $90. will going to a manual link be a better option?

EDIT: since i'm about to finish up on the install, i thought i'd edit this post to add info i learned along the way to help others.

Car info: 69 Convertible, stock PS with 351w and Dougs Try-y headers.

As you can see above, i wasnt aware that i would need that I would need the Manual Steering Adapter. This piece isnt cheap so if you have PS, it might be worth it to change over to a manual drag link. but you'll have to change other items too.

i've read other posts where they pulled the old box out from below, some went from up top. With my header combo, there was no going out from below. I then removed the master cylinder to get the box out from above but it was still tight.

i used the rag joint instead of going with the joint. here you will have to hammer in the steering column up. save yourself some time and just hammer it up as far as you can. this allows you to get more space for connecting the box to the column.

because the Borgeson box is so much larger than the stock box, I decided to just take out the brake booster as well. But to get that out, i had to remove my export brace. This makes things much easier to get the box in and out and to work with your rag joint. I connected my rag joint to the box and tightened everything up. then went back under the car, and as i knew it would from collapsing the column so much, i hit the box forward with my hand to pull the column down, as well as to align the holes.

I moved the box around while putting in the rag joint so to get things as aligned as possible, i found out it was just over 3.5 rotations of the steering wheel to get lock out from one side to the other. centered the wheel pretty close, then attached the pitman arm. As you can see in the pics, it's pretty close to the headers once installed. Im waiting for my lines to come in so i decided to call it a night and left the brake stuff alone. this will make the line hook ups way easier to get too as well. Seeing im doing this on the ground, i was pretty dirty and didnt want to dirty up my new upholstery so the brake stuff will go in as soon as the lines are installed up top.

Once i get everything wrapped up, ill post more info as i go.

post-39227-0-94782100-1463027363.jpg

post-39227-0-06351000-1463027535.jpg

Sector shaft is smaller in a 65-66 and the early 67 box . I would find a 68 -70 box.

i shipped the wrong box back and getting one for the 70. so once the new one arrives will my original pitman arm work or will i have to order a new one?

I am about to do this same Borgeson upgrade. My car is a 69 Mach 1 with the original ram style power steering. I do not want to use the adapter so I bought the manual drag link.

It sounds like I also need replace the P/S pitman and idler arms with the "manual" versions. Correct?

post-39227-0-71073700-1463253295.jpgwell i was hoping to be done with this today...guess not. So my hose from the pump will hit the headers. i need to find a 45* fitting to go from the pump, to the new hose. problem is i cant find any info on the stock thread that comes from the pump. HELP!!!!!!

that fitting on the pump looks like an AN fitting maybe a -6 or -8 .  Is that the high pressure hose I see stuck out near the front header pipe with no fitting on it, if it is it needs the fitting crimped on didn't know if you knew this or not.

Dave

goo eye but no, thats the return line. i folded it up there to keep it out of the way. im thinking its a 6an as well. 

if it is a -6an you can check a hyd. company near you because a 3/8"   37* jic fitting is the same and a lot cheaper.

Dave

well, the fight continues as the fitting is not a 6 or 8an. i went to two hose makers and no one had fittings. tomorrow i got one more option and if they dont have fittings, i might up having to go with a whole new hose. i wrote borgeson an email so we'll see what they have to say.

Bryon 

Will that fitting screw out of the pump?  It could be a fitting someone adapted to a hose in the past. Most of the older ford pump I ever seen had a male fitting with an O ring that screwed into the pump. Does that fitting seem to be larger or smaller than a -6 or -8 or somewhere in between?

Dave

Borgeson wasn't the issue with the fittings, it was Ford. But today I got it taken care of! A 90* and a spacer, and we're in business! It moved it away from the headers like I hoped. Now just need to run the return line and see how it goes. Should any type of thread sealer be used?post-39227-0-54924400-1463547266.jpg