Raven R code

Ford tooling grill

Right, the 1970 Mach 1s get the "Argent" paint on the grill and headlight surrounds.

I use the SEM plastic paint process.  They have a soap, prep, and primer designed especially for plastic.   The cleaner takes off any plastic molding process residue, and the primer is really an adhesion promoter which is still wet when you do the first topcoat.  You can get the SEM stuff from NPD.  They also may have a matching color for the grill.  For 1970 they made a custom mix to match the Argent grill color.

how do you know your original isn't faded and worn?

I have 2 that are a sort of flat black....my original (low mile 11k car) and another that has been in storage since 1973. Unfortunately both have either a crack or missing segment. Sounds like I may have to paint the new one low gloss black......or find out how much to chrome plate ;)

top grill is new ford tooling.....bottom 2 are originals.

thank you.  great picture.  all three look different.  which is the one in storage since 73?  Do you know the history of that one from storage from 73?  Was it on a car that was used and abused or was it a new, never used part kept out of the elements throughout its life?

From the view of someone that worked in plastics....the bottom two grills look sun baked (UV altered) and oxidized.

Done someone have a broken grill that they can take a file,or some sand paper to? Get through the surface and you will find what color the grill should really be.

The original grill on my 69 looks much more black like the top one. My car has spent most of its life in the garage when it wasn't being driven.

As far as surface finish or sheen, that's a another story. That is very much based on the finish of the mold it came out of

Bob

The middle one is off my car (with 11k miles). The bottom one is off the car that was totaled in '73 (it had 35k miles )..... Also, it was a little dusty. After studying them, it really looks like the original grills are sprayed a flat black.

These are my grilles:

The Top is a C9ZB-8150-B 1 chrome faced grille, obviously painted.

The center is what is left of my previous grille. It was not painted. I do not know if this was an original grille or a repro. It was on the car when I bought it in 2004.

The bottom grille is the new-out-of the-box Daniel Carpenter Ford Tooling grille, C9ZB-8150-B 2. Unpainted. There isn't much difference between this and the center grille in appearance.

26500135022_af91a1c537_b.jpg

26500139432_66032f409e_b.jpg

Bob Perkins states in this thread that grilles and headlight doors OEM and service parts was painted low gloss black up to the late 80s.