Sign in to follow this  
machm1970

Will new leaf srings settle much?

I just finished installing Eaton read leaf springs on my '70 vert and it sits really high. I bought the ones specified for my car from NPD. The gas tank is empty, so another 150 lbs will help.Right now there's 3.5" between the wheel lip and the edge of the tire.

Thanks,

Matt

post-42483-0-89809000-1456272275.jpg

They will settle in a few miles.  Just snug up the shackle bolts and the front eye, drive around the block for a couple of miles and I'll bet your rear end will settle down.  Then torque the bolts to spec. 

+1 Rsmach1.  Although not as tall as your picture shows, these cars had a fairly tall ride height when new.  Make certain you didn't tighten any shackle bolts or front spring eye bolts with the car up in the air.  I am curious how much it settles after trying Midlife's suggestion.

+1 Rsmach1.  Although not as tall as your picture shows, these cars had a fairly tall ride height when new.  Make certain you didn't tighten any shackle bolts or front spring eye bolts with the car up in the air.  I am curious how much it settles after trying Midlife's suggestion.

I agree with the above. I'll add that 14" rims add to the visual effect - we're all accustomed to seeing 16"-18" rims on cars of today, Here's my 'vert the day I installed Eatons - although the gap looks large, the stance is pretty much parallel to the ground.

post-1146-0-06096800-1456284784.jpg

Be sure you greased the bushings in the rear of the springs as well.

If not remove them and grease them.

Then do as midlife said, install the bolts and loosely snug them up, and take it for a little ride around the block and hit some bumps etc.. then bring it home and with the car on the ground tighten the bolts up and I bet it will come down a bit.

My buddies 69 with 4.5 leaf Mid eye springs has settled over 1" since the rear springs were installed several years ago.

However my car with the 4.5 leaf REVERSE Eye springs from same company did not settle more than 1/2" since its been together for a bit over 2 years now.

I'm still waiting to buy new exhaust from the headers back before I can go for a drive (so I don't piss of the neighbors). I greased everything when I did the installation and I did loosen everything last night. I'll fill the gas tank to add some weight.  

Thanks for the help,

Matt