po51

What carb?

So my 408 stroker is on the way what carb should I run? What are you guys running on your 408's? It will be a weekend driver nothing more!

Thanks again for all your help. Steve

I Run a Holley Street Avenger 770 with Electric choke and Vac Secondaries.

I have use everything from Dominators to Quadrajets and I really like this Holley carb.

Right out of the box it worked great and with just a little tuning if got even better, plus fuel mileage is 20 plus with my 408.

I would use either a Street Avenger or a Nice Edelbrock 750.

My 351W is not stroked.  I have run 650 and 700 CFM Holley double pumpers on it.  It currently has a 700 CFM Holley double pumper, it seems to like it better.  I have modified a little with billet metering blocks and converted it from 2-corner to 4-corner idle adjustment.

My preference for Holley carbs for performance are the Double Pumper (mechanical secondary) series if you want a choke, or the HP series of you do not want a choke.  I would think a 750 cfm size would be pretty close to correct.  Depends on your estimated maximum RPM and volumetric efficiency.  If you have the money, look at Holley's Ultra series of either Double Pumpers or HP's.  With Holley carbs, get something that has 4-corner idle adjustments.  It makes a difference when adjusting the idle A/F mixture screws.  The new (current) classic series 750 CFM double pumper have it, all the HP series have it, and all the Ultra series have it.  Otherwise, with 2-corner idle adjustments, the idle A/F adjustment on the secondary side is fixed.  If it needs tweaking, you have to start altering the idle fuel restrictors or air bleeds or the fixed orifice bleed sizes on the secondaries..  Its easier to turn an adjustment screw on a carb with 4-corner idle adjustments.

One thing I will say with today's Holley carbs.  Don't just throw it on the car out of the box.  Adjustments are often messed up.  If you are new to Holley's take the time to learn how to make the basic adjustments and check them, accelerator pump linkage, correct primary throttle plate position, secondary linkage, and mixture screws.  That info is usually on a DVD Holley included with new carbs.  And lastly, if you buy any double pumper or HP Holley carb they make a replacement lever for the secondary that makes the secondary throttle plate position adjustable from the top for idle position.  It is a simple one screw installation.  You cannot randomly turn the idle speed screw on the primaries.  There is a small operating range the primaries need to be in at idle.  Most of the time after the primary throttle plates are correctly positioned at idle you adjust the secondaries to fine tune the idle speed.  It may sound complicated but it is not.

My engine builder put a Quicktime 750 on my 408 Cleve. He told me he could have gone bigger but 750 was big enough for the street. Good questions brought up by barnett468. It all depends on how the rest of the intake and exhaust components match each other. I've seen slightly warmed over 351's run better with smaller than 600cfm carbs. One other thing to look for is to make sure you have a big enough fuel pump with the bigger carb. My builder recomended a 120gph at 5.5psi pump.