Rsmach1

Rare paint and value

I bought my M code Mach back in 81, at that time I was only concerned about it being a Mach1 with the original drive train. The PO had the car repainted red, but it already had a few chips and I could see what I thought was Wimbledon peeking thru. I never gave it another thought as I knew one day I would repaint it myself.

The car was garaged from 82 to 90 when I freashened it it up, and found the build sheet under the carpet. Everything coencided with the build sheet/door tag, but I never checked the paint code.

Fast forward to 2015, I went out to get the date code to help answer a question someone asked, and for some reason I looked up the paint code. Well what I thought for all these years peeking thru was Wimbledon white turns out to be Pastel gray.

Through a search I've found out that only 1083 Mach's were painted this color. So my question is, does this add much if any value to the car? Does anyone here own one this color?

Thanks, Randy.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of different views on this topic.  I repainted my 69 Mach 1 its original Meadowlark Yellow.  I always liked the 1970 Grabber Blue but the painter, however was into Fords and more of a purist.  He talked me into the original Meadowlark Yellow and using Acrylic Enamel with a hardener which is closer to the original paint type than Urethanes.  In the end, I'm glad I followed the painters recommendations.

Truthfully, back when I was in high school original color wasn't so important.  But now, if I was in the market to buy another Mach 1 or any late 60's, early 70's muscle car.  When only considering paint, the car with its original color is more desirable.  So for me, original color is important.  

With over 1000 of that special paint color, I doubt it will increase the value and if it does it won't be by much.

IMO....look at the color and if you like it I would go back to that color and have something a little different.

If you don't like it then don't worry about it and paint it what you want it to be

Bob

I have a chestnut brown metallic convertible, according to Marti they only painted 34 that color (it was a very late addition). I'm in the same boat, my wife hates the color, but I've never seen another convertible that color, so it will probably stay original.

Matt

To answer your own question, put the shoe on the other foot. How much more would you pay for a grey or brown car if the seller said the color was one of 34 or 1,000?

Value is always defined by market demand, of course, and with numbers like that, I don't see too much benefit. It may make a Boss 9 worth an extra 50 grand if it is 1 of 1, but I don't see it making an M code car worth much more. Sometimes options are rare for a reason, and sometimes those reasons don't change over 40 years. Your call, but I think I would only paint it that color if I liked that color.

There would be no doubt, if you brought it to a Mustang show, you will get extra attention. You just don't see that color very often.

Thank you all for the replys, definitely some food for thought here, and I do appreciate your feedback. I've found a few pics of this color Mustang online but never seen it in person. It seems Ford used that color on a few models that year so I'll be on the hunt to see it in person, or just get a pint mixed and spray some myself.

http://mustangattitude.com/cgi-bin/picsearch.cgi?modl=Mustang&year=1969&cond=normal&excl=pastel+gray&incl=All&rfcl=All&roof=All&ownr=All&emai=All&loca=All&vinn=All&post=All&sett=All&show=All&view=exterior&optn=&comm=&page=1

Sorry I thought I posted this last night , must have hit the back button by mistake.

I like the color, it is different. Might be hard to sell quickly, you would need to find the right buyer, and to be honest, most folks are not actively looking for Pastel Gray. So it better look good in the flesh.......right?

Maybe ask a paint shop to do a small mix and spray a couple of panels or those rounded forms they have, and take it from there.

NOT MY THUMBNAIL  PIC.

Boy looks a lot like "white" in those pics.   Then I got to the Shelby and I though it looked sharp especially with the blue stripes.

I'm in a similar boat as my GT Hardtop was originally Lime Gold ... crazy popular in 1969 +/- a few years and not just Ford but Chrysler & GM too.   Fast forward to today and I don't think I've EVER seen a nicely restored 1969 Mustang in Lime Gold in person.

Can't say I've EVER seen Pastel Gray in person either so I say run with it.

Was at a car show last year and a '69 Camaro was next to me that was freshly repainted it's original GM's version of Lime Gold and he got lots of compliments on the color.   A friend of mine who is an appraiser said that color on a Camaro today especially if original actually ADDS to it's value.

There are a lot of uglier original colors than Pastel Gray (& Lime Gold) out there and at least a Mach 1 with the black-out hood treatment and side / rear stripes will break up / accent the color.   Now on a base model with no black out / accent stripes to dress it up that's a different story. 

My '69 has been Calypso Coral since 1981 ... don't know when I'll actually get around to re-painting it, but I think I'm going back to Lime Gold when I do !!

Doug