MikeStang

Need some Opinions & Thoughts

Okay I'm running a stock hood with a Boss B9 Cervini's Hood scoop and while it looks cool its kind of a pain in the ass to see over LOL, not to mention for some reason it has caused my paint to wrinkle under the front leading edges where its bolted down, and no its not too tight.

I have always Loved the hoods on the 1968 GT 350's but I have never seen anything like that on a 69 Hood.

Anyone have any links to someone who may have constructed one like this ?

What Guage metal would be the best to construct something like this out of on top of my existing hood?

I know that agent 47 makes their "extractor" hoods for 69's... different from shelby style though...I dream about making extractors in a stock style (scoopless) fiberglass hood, or at least vents of somekind. Personally I am not a fan of hoodscoops on any classic mustang, I like the sleek look.

I have lots of opinions ....but i am told i have very few thoughts..Hummm.

I am thinking of building a short 69 Shelby hood ,the problem is i need a good fitting steel hood to start from .And i probably will have to ruin the steel hood to make the Shelby top ,i can get the Shelby top.I thought about a ford tooling hood to start with but i hate to cut a new hood or spend the money just to cut it up ,or even a good used hood .Maybe a hood with a cut center or burned center ,it just needs a good perimeter that fits the fenders and cowl very well .It will be a fiberglass hood when done and made with the best materials .I should be able to make two types of under brace ,ram air and non ram air .Couple of swap meets coming up so maybe i will find a decent hood to start from.

I think someone makes a short shelby hood from the shelby de mexico 69's? I saw it somewhere on this site.

Some one used to but no one on here can remember or locate who. I have seen the ads in mustang magazines once-upon-a-time. Someone on here, I think Pak, has a thread regarding the hood.

Ridgerunner where could I get my hands on a Shelby top?

The paint is lifting on my hood at the front of my B9 Hood scoop and will need repainted so I figure I will make a change when I do, plus I have holes in it drilled to attach the B9 So the shelby top will cover them up which is good haha...

I'm wondering if I can just go to a sheet metal shop and give them some dimensions and have them cut the metal and just bend it in their machines, weld it on and poof im done

I thought when I tried some out of the box photchops for hoods a while back that I did a 68'ish one, I'll have to see if I can dig that up.

As for making your own, IMHO I'm not sure I would start with metal. I think I would start with foam board and clay, sculpt it to exact detail then make a negative fiberglass cast of it.

It is best to start with a metal hood even though i will have to cut a lot of the center out to change the top .The V in the center of the hood will have to be removed and a Shelby top bonded in place .I will make the top mold off of a 69 long hood i just bought to bond on top of the steel hood . I have done a lot of fiber glass work from mold making to just repairs ,i learned from a cousin that made pickle fork race boats .The steel hood when finished will only be the plug to make the mold as it will be very heavy .If i can get photo bucket to work ,been having trouble loading pics ,i will show a couple of pieces i have made .

http://www.mrbodykit.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12_98_910&products_id=2863&zenid=d5fc0a110a9a1e776433873e51f257a2

Made by BMC Extreme Customs.

I like it because its short but covers most of the top of the hood and is very aggressive looking.

Man how the hell did you build a whole damn car body wow....That is truly impressive...wish you lived closer I would love to learn that.

I like the idea of leaving the crown in the 69 hood and making the top cap just tall enough to clear it and end the cap just before the crown in the hood starts getting really big.

I will pretty much have to ruin the metal hood to make the top mold ,the under bracing will have to be cut as well to allow the scoops to go through .The new under bracing will be a short version of the Shelby hood as well so there will be a bit more air cleaner clearance with out the ram air ,or use the ram air with the correct  Shelby type air cleaner .The idea of starting with a stock hood is the correct shape and alignment is already there so it is just a matter of bonding the shelby top on and doing the body work and using it as the plug for the mold .

The Go Cart body started out as a foam plug made in Holly Hood by a prop builder on a CNC machine ,It had to be coated several times and sanded smooth with a surfacer before i could make the mold ,and that was not fun .The foam body cost $3000 all by its self ,the mold and the first body came to about $3000 .It sold for a bit over $50,000. I kid you not .

The grill i made from a factory 37 Ford pick up grill . It was the first piece i made ,i took the original grill to a fiberglass shop and they told me it could not be made so i thought i would try it my self ,it came out Sweeeeet!

So u build it from the steel hood and Shelby hood so you can make a mold and then you pop a full fiberglass hood out of the mold?

Wow...what would you do for hinge attachment?

So what's it gonna cost me to get one made?

So u build it from the steel hood and Shelby hood so you can make a mold and then you pop a full fiberglass hood out of the mold?

Wow...what would you do for hinge attachment?

So what's it gonna cost me to get one made?

Yes mold making is expensive as you first have to make the part so you can make mold then the actual fiberglass hood . It will have the same mounting as the steel hood ,a steel plate inside the hinge area and the latch area drilled and threaded .This hood will not be made with cheap materials ,it will be made with ISO resin ,same as used in marine applications .I will have to make one first to see what it will cost to make .Even with the good materials it will be cheaper than most fiberglass makers ,and when i am finished they will use the factory hinge springs .

A little off topic but,

Ridge, I've been looking off and on about having a set of headlight extensions made of fiberglass. VFN makes 70s but not 69s. Maier makes 69s but are real expensive and I haven't been willing to spend the money on them. Any thoughts on doing those?

They can be done ,not sure how much call there would be for fiberglass headlight buckets .I have made several molds that turned out to be one of's and that gets expensive ...for me . I made 65-66 buckets and only had one set sell and that was to me .

Soon as i get a 69 hood i will start a thread from start to finish .I may bite the bullet and get one from NPD .