Sign in to follow this  
rchappelear

Mustang Steve brakes

So I purchased a mustang Steve brake kit part number GT2008-FT

Everything fits like a glove but the rotor does not go on to the hub fully due to th extra length of the wheel stub knurle.

Did anyone else have this issue? I was wondering if I replace these studs with a new set 1/2-20 w/a .625 knurel. Knurel length of say .4, would that be a better option

What did Steve say? When I bought a mere $100 master cylinder he was more than helpful. Had 3-4 contacts with him without delay. If you haven't contacted him, do so.

Shaun I dont know why you guys are going with rear disc brake conversions unless your car is going to be seeing a lot of auto Cross I really dont think most people will ever see the benifit of Rear discs over drums in the rear, especially the big 2.5" rear drums like I am using.

I had this same issue on mine when I converted to Disk brakes.  When I used the stock 03 Cobra Rotor I had no issues what so ever.  Had plenty of room and the rotor when on just fine.  When I switch to the Baer Rotor I had that exact issue.  At first I thought the rotor was warped as it was all over the place when I spun it.  It wasn't that far from going on and from the naked eye all looked ok.  The more I got to looking I could see the rotor was hitting the Knurl.  When I called and talked to Baer they said their stuff was made for tighter tolerances than factory and was the reason it was tight.  They said I could open the hole up a little with no issues.  I drilled out the hole slightly, fit great and have had 0 issues since installing them. 

Shaun I dont know why you guys are going with rear disc brake conversions unless your car is going to be seeing a lot of auto Cross I really dont think most people will ever see the benifit of Rear discs over drums in the rear, especially the big 2.5" rear drums like I am using.

I agree. That or  unless you have big open wheels and want them mostly for show. They just aren't worth all the issues and expense in my book. Cars are still being made today with rear drums instead of 4 wheel discs, heck just last year GM went and changed their truck line back to rear drum. I have them on my 2000 Dodge Dakota and never once had an issue, they have lasted with their original shoes all this time unlike the numerous times I have had to replace the front pads and disc.

Hey Pak I read some where that Drum brakes actually have more stopping power also due to the contact surface area of the shoe / Drum size VS the PAd / Rotor size....it really does make sense if you think about it.

Look at how large the shoe is VS how large the pads are.

But I don't know if that was a fact based article I read

I find that my drums are not very noticeable with my Black Chrome Bullets on my car, the drums are painted black so you don't really see them

Hey Pak I read some where that Drum brakes actually have more stopping power also due to the contact surface area of the shoe / Drum size VS the PAd / Rotor size....it really does make sense if you think about it.

I find that my drums are not very noticeable with my Black Chrome Bullets on my car, the drums are painted black so you don't really see them

Mine is the same way.  I have black 18inch bullets and the rear drums are painted.  But I have 2007 GT 12.5 inch rotors up front.  Surface area makes a difference, but how does leverage come into play?  The bigger diameter rotors have more leverage due to being further from the center of the axle.  Simliar to having a longer handled wrench.

Slightly off topic but are you using the 2008GT rear brakes as well? I'm looking for real world feedback on fitment etc before buying. Sorry for the thread hijack

no steve told me to go with the Cobra rears, because the parking brake cable attaches to the cobras with out modifications.   The 2008gt would need to modifiy cable location for parking brake

in1970, dodge had standard drum brakes, standard disc brakes and "heavy duty" drum brakes which were considered to be the upgrade from discs . . this is one of the reasons you see drum brakes on hemi cars . . the people that bought the pricey cars could easily afford the best brakes availab;e and many chose the drums . . disc brakes work far better when wet which is one of their biggest benefits . . the fact that ot takes more pressure to stop a disc than a drum kinda speaks for itself in regards to which one has more stopping power but disc brakes look flashy .

The main advantage of disc is reduced brake fade, you will most likely not see it on the rears, fronts are a different story.

As for the MustangSteve kit, I too have it and I installed new studs for more length, they also cleared the rotor hole.  You can always work it to shape with a rat tail file, carefully.