bswor

New Forums are finally up!

Thanks for all the hard work moving the site!

I work in IT and know just how complex re-platforming can be - especially as you're doing it in your own time for the benefit of us all... 

TimFF

WoooHoo was having a panic attack on Friday then Sat....decided not to ruin my day Sunday so I didnt check to see if the Forum was up.

I figured Mondays Suck so bad may as well check to see if the place was back up and running ..and it IS Yeah.

Good job.

One of the things I thought vBulletin sites was missing was the ability to go to the forums and with one click get all threads I had posted to that had new responses. This feature is found in many other free PHP based forum products and I am glad to see its built-in to the Invision product. You can do this by clicking on your name at the top and then "my content". It also looks like you can do this within each forum by applying "Custom" filter and hit the drop down for "show topic type" and change to "Topics I started" or "Topics I replied to".

A lot of folks seemed to think we did not have that function on the old site but we actually did, it was called USER CP and it was a button at the top left hand of every page. As you mentioned this is now replaced by clicking on your name at the top right corner and then selecting "my content".

ALL, let's use this page as a place for your questions about the new site. I am trying to get familiar with it as fast as I can to help and I encourage you all to explore and try to break things even, if you can that is, and report back any issues you find. As always if you would prefer to ask a question in private then just send me a PM instead.

As for color schemes, with the exception of date codes in orange I think we should try to include a classic '69 Stang look as well if for no other reason than nostalgia but it might help some folks transition a little easier too.

One other note, make sure everyone goes in and updates your profile. All the old info seemed to port over but some of it like locations for example do not show up in the forum, this is always good info to have when trying to help folks.

Oh and just BTW, I can see everyone's warning points FWIW. I would assume this remains at "0" for just about everyone on this site but I guess it's not public info to avoid any embarrassment.

I guessed I missed that Pak. Seems like I remember us having this conversation previous. I knew it was in user CP but thought it was buried 3-4 clicks in as :

Homepage>UserCP>List Subscriptions>sort unread or similar.

Honestly though, whats a few clicks anyway as long as we have improved SPAM controls I think its a win-win. No more spam and a lot of improved functionality.  

Last time I was on (late Dec / early Jan) I remember reading about the up-grade.   Was busy this past week, so did not think of checking back in until now.  

Wow, nice work !!   Like others have said, I liked the format of the old site but it was sad seeing all that spam constantly showing up.   So if this is what it took to take control of that and hopefully keep it out, it was something that needed to be done.

I'm more of a wrencher than an IT guy, but I can imagine all the effort that was required to make this change ... thanks BEN and any one else that was involved.

Doug 

One thing I've noticed -- previously, when I hovered my mouse over a topic in the forums, the first sentence of the thread would magically pop-up.  Now when I hover my mouse, I get a little pop-up that says "View result".  Is this a preview type of option that can get changed back to how it was done before?

Great job on the forum conversion!  I love this site and the folks on it, so I'd be coming back regardless of format :D

are there any posts from the old site, cant seem to find the one I saw on t56 conversion. I'm new here so be patient with me please

One thing I've noticed -- previously, when I hovered my mouse over a topic in the forums, the first sentence of the thread would magically pop-up.  Now when I hover my mouse, I get a little pop-up that says "View result".  Is this a preview type of option that can get changed back to how it was done before?

Great job on the forum conversion!  I love this site and the folks on it, so I'd be coming back regardless of format :D

I'll take a look into this soon.

Any particular color scheme? I'll be adding user selectable skins at a later date which will let you customize the look.

Kinda liked the old color scheme, it was easy on the eyes. This is like installing flourescent lights in a romantic restaurant...LOL!

What? I'll add it to the list of things to look at but that is bizarre to say the least. I'm recovering from a surgery so I won't be able to work on any of these issues for a few days guys so bare with me.

No worries They are not in my pics library but may have been in my temp internet cache. Also note I tried to go in and remove them and get an error. If they are coming from temp internet (and I highly doubt it) this could be very embarrassing issue...

No worries They are not in my pics library but may have been in my temp internet cache. Also note I tried to go in and remove them and get an error. If they are coming from temp internet (and I highly doubt it) this could be very embarrassing issue...

I clicked on edit for your post and then clicked on full editor and it allowed me to remove them, I only removed 2 in case we need to trace their source or something. This is the second time I have been notified about this from a member since last night when it happened to Ridge Runner.

I agree on the potential for embarrassment, it's always a good idea to use your "In Private" browsing when viewing questionable material though to avoid such things.

Good luck with your recovery Ben, I have been trying to go thru the admin page and made some adjustments to some things but I don't see areas yet where I can make changes to upload files/sizes etc. I'll fool around with it more this weekend.