Sign in to follow this  
Rsanter

What is a 3.50 posi in a modular case worth?

If you you have to have a nodular 9" 3rd member, get the Strange Pro Nodular version. It looks almost identical to the Ford N case and it's much beefier. This is what I run with a Daytona pinion support. Personally I feel it's not worth it to spend the money for an original N case unless you were needing it for an accurate restoration. The originals are all over 40 years old and probably been beat on in their lives. The Strange N case is much stronger than the originals ever were. Notice how much thicker the area around the pinion support bearing is with the Strange case? Also the carrier bearing area is thicker with much thicker caps. Plus metallurgy is better today than 50 years ago.

Strange N case

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/str-n1905

n1905-06-5p_3.jpg

strangeN04.jpg

Ford N case

40c6da8c-c6f6-4f1d-ba1e-447bae2e0b1e_zps515b9714.jpg

C7AW-E_05.jpg

My rear end

20141121_142441_zpsca019360.jpg

Edited by maxum96

IMO, if it's a 28 spline trac-lok rear and all you have to do is install it, then it's well worth the $500.

You are probably in the ball park. Perogie's lists a used original Nodular Case for $495. So $500 for a complete 28 spline trac-lok carrier in an original Noduler case that may or may not seed some attention is fair.

Update

Pulled it out today. It appears that it is not a posi as I had been told it is a open 4 pinion unit with 31 splines

Based off this new information what do,you guys think it's worth?

Not sure what I want to,do,with it but most likly,I will sell or trade it

Bob

Nodular case, good.

3.50:1 gears, good.

4 pinion, good.

Those are all great selling points. I certainly wouldn't give it away. If a guy ads a rebuilt traction ok he's got a great and popular set up. I wouldn't sell it for less than $300, unless I really needed the cash.

Bob

I need the space more than I need the cash. I figure I won't be using it so I should pass it to someone that will

The other option I have is that I have a spare case C7 low nodular unit.

Would I be better off swapping the carrier and gears into that and selling it for someone to use and then sell the nodular unit bare for someone to set up with a posi

And I am able to do the swap myself and set the gears myself so it won't really cost me money, just some time

Bob

If you you have to have a nodular 9" 3rd member, get the Strange Pro Nodular version. It looks almost identical to the Ford N case and it's much beefier. This is what I run with a Daytona pinion support. Personally I feel it's not worth it to spend the money for an original N case unless you were needing it for an accurate restoration. The originals are all over 40 years old and probably been beat on in their lives. The Strange N case is much stronger than the originals ever were. Notice how much thicker the area around the pinion support bearing is with the Strange case? Also the carrier bearing area is thicker with much thicker caps. Plus metallurgy is better today than 50 years ago.

Strange N case

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/str-n1905

n1905-06-5p_3.jpg

strangeN04.jpg

Ford N case

40c6da8c-c6f6-4f1d-ba1e-447bae2e0b1e_zps515b9714.jpg

C7AW-E_05.jpg

My rear end

20141121_142441_zpsca019360.jpg

this an awesome homemade cradle COOL!

I have had an N case 3:50 4 pinion Trac lok 31 spline rear end in my car for years. it works great! I had to have the posi unit rebuilt once. I paid about $ 400. for it. If I was doing hard core racing I would go with the strange unit in a heartbeat. Mostly I just drive on the street. But I love have that rear in the car. the stock rear was 3:00 open thing... good for economy but not for fun

this an awesome homemade cradle COOL!

Thanks. Cost me less than $25 to build (1" square tubing and casters from Harbor Freight). I used it as an excuse to teach my son in law to weld. I use my motorcycle jack to lift the rear end in and out of the cradle. That's why the rear is so open.