Sign in to follow this  
mustangmike6996

Refinishing the Lower dash....

Mike I have used both.

I used a Base / Clear with No Clear and have used a Base/Clear with a flatner in the clear.

For the money I prefer Rattle can Semi Gloss 3 light coats usually does fine for me and if you have new plastic it will match well.

I have painted the plastic interior quarter trim with semi black but will most likely redo them before I installed them because I used cheap paint over 5 years ago (long term restoration)

What brands do you like?

The only new platic parts I will have for the interior will be the A-pillar trim and I will most likely paint those as well.

I think its the rustoleum Pro...Its in a tall silver can and can be tough to find...their silver dries VERY Fast...when I say fast I mean put into service in 5 minutes...the black is usually ready to go in 30 min or so...Ill double check when I get home.

The black requires a very clean surface, I use denatured alcohol to clean all parts with

I have a black on black interior and I need to paint my lower dash and some other interior parts.

What product do you guys use? Spray can or spray gun?

I used Charcoal Black Metallic in spray can, which I understand was the original 69 color. Available from duplicolor and from NPD, but it is , of course, personal choice. The spray can stuff does seem to mark up quite easy.

Edited by JCB-69CJ

I like SEM products for interior paint. I used a paint gun to spray all the large pieces including the lower dash all at one time. Then spray cans later for smaller pieces as I came across them. The results are the same. The color I used was Landau Black. I don't know if it's correct but it matches the black vinyl on the seats better than the Satin Black. I have also used Satin Black a couple of times when I ran out of the Landau Black. It's hard to distinguish the difference in color. SEM also has a Satin Clear that produces a nice finish. I recently used it on a couple of small parts. If I was to repaint everything again I would definitely use the Satin Clear over the color coats on everything.

FYI, buy more than you think you need. It gets applied in very light coats so it takes two or three more coats than you expect for good coverage and not affect the grain texture of the interior parts.

Edited by 1969_Mach1

PO of my 69 Mach1 was very proud of his interior paintwork including lower dash.

He pointed out that it was not a pure black, (as said by JCB-69CJ above)

IIRC he said it had some blue metallic in it. Could be wrong on that color, but it definitely has a metal in it from factory.

I am not concerned about originality as I am building a rest-mod so I just painted mine semi-gloss black from a rattle can.

Same here, I think I just used semi black Rustoleum because I had it on hand.

As others have mentioned SEM...I used SEM 39143 Trim Black on all the interior components that require black paint...also in the engine compartment,aprons,firewall, engine parts,etc,etc...you will fall in love with this stuff...dries fast and hard...easy to touch up too......joe

The charcoal metallic black by Accumatch is a great product but I wouldnt recommend it for large parts as it leaves a halo each pass and is impossible to get a smooth uniform finish. This may not be avoidable with any rattle can product. I ultimately went with the original PPG lacquer product and the results were amazing. Very professional looking and consistent finish.

Edited by miketyler

The charcoal metallic black by Accumatch is a great product but I wouldnt recommend it for large parts as it leaves a halo each pass and is impossible to get a smooth uniform finish. This may not be avoidable with any rattle can product. I ultimately went with the original PPG lacquer product and the results were amazing. Very professional looking and consistent finish.

Edited by miketyler

All-

I got the clue about the "dark charcoal metallic" being the "original color" on this forum. I bought at NPD - not too expensive - and the rattle cans worked great I thought. You have to make an effort with them but I coated the dash 2 times and I am pleased with the results. It's not perfect, but everyone who looks at it is impressed, and it was easy.

Fortunately, I did not have the "halo effect" that Mike Tyler talks about.

I did paint the dash out of the car - and would recommend that.

Attached are pics.

[ATTACH]18306[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18307[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18308[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18309[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18310[/ATTACH]

Edited by JayEstes

All-

I got the clue about the "dark charcoal metallic" being the "original color" on this forum. I bought at NPD - not too expensive - and the rattle cans worked great I thought. You have to make an effort with them but I coated the dash 2 times and I am pleased with the results. It's not perfect, but everyone who looks at it is impressed, and it was easy.

Fortunately, I did not have the "halo effect" that Mike Tyler talks about.

I did paint the dash out of the car - and would recommend that.

Attached are pics.

[ATTACH]18306[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18307[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18308[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18309[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18310[/ATTACH]

Edited by JayEstes

more pics. Sorry about the pic rotation. I have no idea how to fix that - happens on all my posts - even tho the pics look correct on my computer....

[ATTACH]18311[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18312[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18313[/ATTACH]

OH! and one other tip... if you don't want to remove the AC vents, use a "solo plastic cup" bottom to cover the AC vent holes (deosn't have to be a red one! ;)! I cut one right at the top of the first ridge above the bottom - about 1.5-2 inches above the base. Fits PERFECT over the AC vent and louver, and you can still get paint down in the region you want. I taped it in place from inside the vent with masking tape.

Edited by JayEstes

more pics. Sorry about the pic rotation. I have no idea how to fix that - happens on all my posts - even tho the pics look correct on my computer....

[ATTACH]18311[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18312[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]18313[/ATTACH]

OH! and one other tip... if you don't want to remove the AC vents, use a "solo plastic cup" bottom to cover the AC vent holes (deosn't have to be a red one! ;)! I cut one right at the top of the first ridge above the bottom - about 1.5-2 inches above the base. Fits PERFECT over the AC vent and louver, and you can still get paint down in the region you want. I taped it in place from inside the vent with masking tape.

Edited by JayEstes

I've never noticed a metallic in the black paint on the lower dash. Maybe it's so subtle I missed it. I only have two 1969 Mach 1's that I am familiar with that have black interior. The one I currently own which, although not running and driving when I bought it, was in original condition, and another a long time ago owned by my older brother. The later Mach 1 was only 10 years old when he bought it and other than a repaint on the exterior and after market wheels, it was most certainly still original. On both of these the lower dash looked like a semi gloss or satin black without metallic.

Edited by 1969_Mach1

I've never noticed a metallic in the black paint on the lower dash. Maybe it's so subtle I missed it. I only have two 1969 Mach 1's that I am familiar with that have black interior. The one I currently own which, although not running and driving when I bought it, was in original condition, and another a long time ago owned by my older brother. The later Mach 1 was only 10 years old when he bought it and other than a repaint on the exterior and after market wheels, it was most certainly still original. On both of these the lower dash looked like a semi gloss or satin black without metallic.

Edited by 1969_Mach1