Sign in to follow this  
juit

holley runing rich all the time

yes.

adjust the spring tab inward on the heavy/loose spring after you install the points plate after the test where you use the lite spring only. if there is no adjustment left than you can file the hole slightly larger

we need to find out why you have so little advance. running it with only 1 spring will help me determine that.

adjust_spring_tension.jpgnward.

Edited by barnett468

yes.

adjust the spring tab inward on the heavy/loose spring after you install the points plate after the test where you use the lite spring only. if there is no adjustment left than you can file the hole slightly larger

we need to find out why you have so little advance. running it with only 1 spring will help me determine that.

I was reading carefully the thread and I remembed when I took the plates , the leg that goes on the 13l slot it had a hose on it it was thin but I think that limiting the advance, correct me if Im wrong

yes.

I was reading carefully the thread and I remembed when I took the plates , the leg that goes on the 13l slot it had a hose on it it was thin but I think that limiting the advance, correct me if Im wrong

yws the hose will reduce/limit the timing. . was it super thin like a straw or thicker like your distributor vacuum hose? . . leave it on for now plug your vacuum ports then get timing specs then just remove the big loose spring .

yws the hose will reduce/limit the timing. . was it super thin like a straw or thicker like your distributor vacuum hose? . . leave it on for now plug your vacuum ports then get timing specs then just remove the big loose spring .

remove the spring that is slightly loose. the coils will not have any space between them because it is not stretched.

the other spring will have tension on it and the coils will be pulled apart slightly from the tension.

put a felt pen mark or white out on the top of the outer post for that spring so it can easily be identified thru the adjustment hole in the plate.

when do you plan to do this?

i will be here for a few hours.

if that rubber is really thick like a vacuum advance hose, remove it.

any factory rubber would be paper thin. you can see the original one in the photo i posted on page 4. just enlarge the photo on internet explorer.

sounds like someone was in there before

Edited by barnett468

remove the spring that is slightly loose. the coils will not have any space between them because it is not stretched.

the other spring will have tension on it and the coils will be pulled apart slightly from the tension.

put a felt pen mark or white out on the top of the outer post for that spring so it can easily be identified thru the adjustment hole in the plate.

when do you plan to do this?

i will be here for a few hours.

if that rubber is really thick like a vacuum advance hose, remove it.

any factory rubber would be paper thin. you can see the original one in the photo i posted on page 4. just enlarge the photo on internet explorer.

sounds like someone was in there before

Edited by barnett468

In case you go what should expect? Im doing this in the morning but dont know what time, with a kid u know any plans in sunday can be trashed out :), maybe some one was here like u say, also it could be that they put the springs at the wrong weight?

In case you go what should expect? Im doing this in the morning but dont know what time, with a kid u know any plans in sunday can be trashed out :), maybe some one was here like u say, also it could be that they put the springs at the wrong weight?

i should be here for at least 4 more hours. i will check in occasionally after that.

what do you mean what can you expect?

one end of the spring needs to be gently pried off. it is slightly press fit on the inside pin.

after you do all the things i suggested and you post all the info, i should know exactly what you need to do at that time but not before.

after you remove the spring you might hear a little noise from the distributor.

just fire it up for a few seconds, rev it to around 2500 or slightly more and see what the timing is but again, tell me what it is before you take it apart just like you did last time but no vacuum ever.

just tell the kid you want to show him something cool on the car. maybe this will help, lol.

Edited by barnett468

i should be here for at least 4 more hours. i will check in occasionally after that.

what do you mean what can you expect?

one end of the spring needs to be gently pried off. it is slightly press fit on the inside pin.

after you do all the things i suggested and you post all the info, i should know exactly what you need to do at that time but not before.

after you remove the spring you might hear a little noise from the distributor.

just fire it up for a few seconds, rev it to around 2500 or slightly more and see what the timing is but again, tell me what it is before you take it apart just like you did last time but no vacuum ever.

just tell the kid you want to show him something cool on the car. maybe this will help, lol.

Edited by barnett468

no vac adv pluged all ports

idle 6

2000 13

the hose is thicker than a electrical wire but a lil less than a vac but maybe is pinches a lot from use

I have 10L and 15L weights

the mr gasket springs are on the way but until thursday

Edited by juit

idle 6

2000 13

the hose is thicker than a electrical wire but a lil less than a vac but maybe is pinches a lot from use

Edited by juit

idle 6

2000 13

i need answers to all these questions or i will not know how to help you.

why did you only rev it to 2000?

did you remove the rubber hose?

are these numbers with the spring removed?

are these numbers with the hose removed?

did you rotate the advance with the points plate off to look and see if it moves from one end of the slot to the other?

did you look at the photo to see if your hose was thin like that one?

if the rubber is thin like heat shrink tubing then leave it. if it is thick, then remove it, i can not see it over the computer unless you post a photo. you need to decide how thick it is. i can not guess for you. i have no idea what is going on.

if all you did was plug the advance, then set your timing back to 14 and remove the loose spring and rubber if you want and tell me what happens. also if that is all you did, your rear port on your vacuum can was adding 8 degrees of timing which is impossible. none of this makes sense, this is not how these parts work.

you may not need the springs. you can't install them until we see what is going on. they will do nothing right now.

it sounds like your advance is sticking part way thru which is nearly impossible.

your mechanical advance is only adding 8 degrees which is impossible.

Edited by barnett468

idle 6

2000 13

i need answers to all these questions or i will not know how to help you.

why did you only rev it to 2000?

did you remove the rubber hose?

are these numbers with the spring removed?

are these numbers with the hose removed?

did you rotate the advance with the points plate off to look and see if it moves from one end of the slot to the other?

did you look at the photo to see if your hose was thin like that one?

if the rubber is thin like heat shrink tubing then leave it. if it is thick, then remove it, i can not see it over the computer unless you post a photo. you need to decide how thick it is. i can not guess for you. i have no idea what is going on.

if all you did was plug the advance, then set your timing back to 14 and remove the loose spring and rubber if you want and tell me what happens. also if that is all you did, your rear port on your vacuum can was adding 8 degrees of timing which is impossible. none of this makes sense, this is not how these parts work.

you may not need the springs. you can't install them until we see what is going on. they will do nothing right now.

it sounds like your advance is sticking part way thru which is nearly impossible.

your mechanical advance is only adding 8 degrees which is impossible.

Edited by barnett468

why did you only rev it to 2000? im tied up with kid

did you remove the rubber hose? no

are these numbers with the spring removed? yes the loose heavy one

are these numbers with the hose removed? vacum canister pluged

did you rotate the advance with the points plate off to look and see if it moves from one end of the slot to the other? yes

do I advance it to 14 again? and do measures?

idle

Edited by juit

did you remove the rubber hose? no

are these numbers with the spring removed? yes the loose heavy one

are these numbers with the hose removed? vacum canister pluged

did you rotate the advance with the points plate off to look and see if it moves from one end of the slot to the other? yes

do I advance it to 14 again? and do measures?

idle

Edited by juit

you can hold the throttle open by hand almost 1/2 way and check the timing, i do it all the time.

it might go to 40 degrees at 3000 rpm. don't know until you try it but right now it sounds like the piece of rubber is 1/4 inch thick. this can be the only thing limiting your timing.

if you set your idle timing to 14 and remove the rubber and rev it to 3000 and it only goes to 26 or less, your distributor is bad.

Edited by barnett468

you can hold the throttle open by hand almost 1/2 way and check the timing, i do it all the time.

it might go to 40 degrees at 3000 rpm. don't know until you try it but right now it sounds like the piece of rubber is 1/4 inch thick. this can be the only thing limiting your timing.

if you set your idle timing to 14 and remove the rubber and rev it to 3000 and it only goes to 26 or less, your distributor is bad.

Edited by barnett468