Sign in to follow this  
juit

holley runing rich all the time

ok, put the one you just took out back but leave the other one in there. this should slow the timing down closer to where we had it.

it has too much timing at 1500 also.

hey...you could just run the single spring again, lol.

Edited by barnett468

ok, put the one you just took out back but leave the other one in there. this should slow the timing down closer to where we had it.

it has too much timing at 1500 also.

hey...you could just run the single spring again, lol.

Edited by barnett468

you think it will be enough to close the weights?

yes, heres the deal . . that single spring was all that was closing the weights at idle before because the big spring is loose . . . this is how they work . . now you will have 2 springs with tension so of course the weights will close.

you think it will be enough to close the weights?

yes, heres the deal . . that single spring was all that was closing the weights at idle before because the big spring is loose . . . this is how they work . . now you will have 2 springs with tension so of course the weights will close.

maybe loosen up that one and put mr gasket spring on the other side

Im going to bump the idle to 12 again before I take down the Mr gaskest

Edited by juit

Edited by juit

ok try 12 then do what i suggested or do whatever you want . . if you bend anything i wont be able to help you anymore

ok try 12 then do what i suggested or do whatever you want . . if you bend anything i wont be able to help you anymore

700 10

1000 10

1500 12

2000 22

2500 32

3000 32

3500 33 I think because hose gets tight, prolly I need a brass bushing

when I floor it it hesitates then reacts like a caged animal

W vac adv hesitation goes away

Changing your timing has made a big difference. After you and barnet468 get the timing curve where you want it, if you still have a hesitation you should look into tuning the accelerator pump in your Holley carb. The hesitation you mention is sometimes because there is not enough fuel from the accelerator pump when you floor it. For example, accelerator pump nozzle slightly too small, wrong accelerator pump cam that operates the linkage, or maybe the accelerator pump linkage is not adjusted correctly. It is common for Holley carbs to need some tuning on the accelerator pumps. Usually one or two sizes larger on the nozzle and/or a different accelerator pump cam than what came on the carburetor when it was new.

What happens is the motor gets a big gulp of air and not enough fuel when you step on the throttle. Eventually, as the motor picks up some speed, fuel starts flowing from the main booster venturies and then like you said it "reacts like a caged animal." Reread your Holley book on accelerator pumps it should have good instructions how to tune it and adjust it.

700 10

1000 10

1500 12

2000 22

2500 32

3000 32

3500 33 I think because hose gets tight, prolly I need a brass bushing

when I floor it it hesitates then reacts like a caged animal

W vac adv hesitation goes away

Changing your timing has made a big difference. After you and barnet468 get the timing curve where you want it, if you still have a hesitation you should look into tuning the accelerator pump in your Holley carb. The hesitation you mention is sometimes because there is not enough fuel from the accelerator pump when you floor it. For example, accelerator pump nozzle slightly too small, wrong accelerator pump cam that operates the linkage, or maybe the accelerator pump linkage is not adjusted correctly. It is common for Holley carbs to need some tuning on the accelerator pumps. Usually one or two sizes larger on the nozzle and/or a different accelerator pump cam than what came on the carburetor when it was new.

What happens is the motor gets a big gulp of air and not enough fuel when you step on the throttle. Eventually, as the motor picks up some speed, fuel starts flowing from the main booster venturies and then like you said it "reacts like a caged animal." Reread your Holley book on accelerator pumps it should have good instructions how to tune it and adjust it.

xlnt suggestion, however, he said he had no hesitation with my timing curve and he tested his car the exact same way with my setting and the mallory setting, therefore, there is no indication that he has any type of carb problem, however, if in fact the tests were not quite identical then who knows.

if i just read that one statement from juit, i would also believe it is fuel related and possibly a combination of problems one of which could be that his secondaries are opening way top early.

one thing is for sure here on post number 149, lol, is that the saga is not quite over.

Edited by barnett468

xlnt suggestion, however, he said he had no hesitation with my timing curve and he tested his car the exact same way with my setting and the mallory setting, therefore, there is no indication that he has any type of carb problem, however, if in fact the tests were not quite identical then who knows.

if i just read that one statement from juit, i would also believe it is fuel related and possibly a combination of problems one of which could be that his secondaries are opening way top early.

one thing is for sure here on post number 149, lol, is that the saga is not quite over.

Edited by barnett468

That makes sense. I thought I would throw it out there in case after a timing curve is obtained and a hesitation is still there. Like you mentioned, sometimes more than one thing contribute to a problem. I thought of the secondaries opening too fast. But I thought the hesitation was off idle (or close to that) and it's not common for vacuum secondaries to open too soon on untampered Holley carbs.

That makes sense. I thought I would throw it out there in case after a timing curve is obtained and a hesitation is still there. Like you mentioned, sometimes more than one thing contribute to a problem. I thought of the secondaries opening too fast. But I thought the hesitation was off idle (or close to that) and it's not common for vacuum secondaries to open too soon on untampered Holley carbs.

I'll put premium gas and see what happens,

also put it on 12 degrees on idle

vac can is plugged

yesterday I almost empty the tank driving my kid back and forth on the car

the neighbors were :osama::ph34r::huh::whistling::tongue:

Edited by juit

vac can is plugged

Edited by juit

my apologies, you are absolutely 100% correct and i had forgotten that it sounded like his problem was right off idle.

Edited by barnett468

my apologies, you are absolutely 100% correct and i had forgotten that it sounded like his problem was right off idle.

Edited by barnett468

vac can is plugged

no, no, no, no, don't change the gas type . . it will not run any better and may mask/hide any detonation.

keep using what you have been . . using 87 or 89 is better than using 91 because it will show detonation easier.

instead of getting gas you could be installing that spring before i die of old age, lol.

Edited by barnett468