Sign in to follow this  
JTG

Should I keep the old rear axle?

I have a '69 Mach I. It's a base model that was a 351W, 2bbl, auto with an 8" rear with drums. I'm doing a full restoration. It's down to the shell now and on a dolly. I planning to put in a 9" posi with disc brakes, most likely going to get a new full setup. The eventual engine plans are to put in a stroked 351W nothing over the top but with some muscle to it.

Is there any reason to keep the old axle? I've had the car for 25 years and have no plans to sell it once it's up and running. I can see keeping the auto trans when I move to a t5 but I don't see any scenario where I would want the old rear in the car.

What do you guys think?

My vote is to keep it if you have the room to store it and keep it out of the way. The next owner of the car might want to restore it back to original condition even if you don't. It at least keeps that as an option on the table.

Is that original to the car? I thought all Mach '1 came with a 9" rear?

I pretty much like to keep all the parts. Even the broken/replaced ones. This particular 8" probably came with a 6 cyl. car. The 8" axle housing, as mentioned, carries no markings so not critical for any future restorer. Brian

Edited by Brian Conway

All 1969-70 351W 2BBL on up came with a 9" rear as STD, so that would mean all '69 Mach 1's & GT's came std. with a 9" as STD. in 1969 since 351W-2BBL was the base engine for these models.

If your car has an 8" in it now, it is NOT ORIGINAL anyway as someone swapped it in at some time in the past.

There were TWO levels of 9" though in 1969 ...

428CJ/SCJ, Boss 302 & 429 came with 31 Spline 9"

and

351 & 390 came with 28 Spline 9"

Doug

All 1969-70 351W 2BBL on up came with a 9" rear as STD, so that would mean all '69 Mach 1's & GT's came std. with a 9" as STD. in 1969 since 351W-2BBL was the base engine for these models.

If your car has an 8" in it now, it is NOT ORIGINAL anyway as someone swapped it in at some time in the past.

There were TWO levels of 9" though in 1969 ...

428CJ/SCJ, Boss 302 & 429 came with 31 Spline 9"

and

351 & 390 came with 28 Spline 9"

Doug

Correct

OP, post some pictures of the center section and we'll tell you which rearend you have.

Yup, that's an 8". You sure your car isn't a fastback that someone did up as a Mach 1? That's every unusual to have an 8" in place of the factory 9". Ever got a Marti report on your car?

Edited by maxum96

Now you guys have me doubting what I have. I need to look a little closer. I thought it was original to the car. I also had it in my head that since it was an open rear it was an 8".

There are far more open 9" rears in this world than Posi units.

The easy way to tell is that you can stick a deep well socket straight on to all the bolts on an 8", but on a 9" there are a couple you can't.

Here is a crude video illustrating it:

Your door tag says you should have a 3.00:1 axle, not the 2.79 on the axle tag, so it looks like somebody probably salvaged a 302 equipped car axle somewhere along the way. That's pretty unusual, 9" diffs are pretty indestructible.

Yeah, it's a Mach I. Here's the door tag. The engine was not original when I bought it in '88 and the front fender was replaced but everything else looked stock.

a11cd2d4-889f-44fa-8d0c-39a12ad54681_zps59e214b5.jpg

Don't go by the door tag alone. Go by the dash VIN. Doors get switched on 45 year old vehicles all the time. Is the door tag VIN number the same as the dash VIN?