Sign in to follow this  
prayers1

What color? outside of headlight bucket

Went to my first car show and was told by an ex judge that my headlight bucket is a distraction. It wasn't a points show, just a bunch of door prizes.

I really never thought of it, but he said that his eye went right there, he said to paint them a semi-flat black.

What do you all think?

Of course, I'm not gonna take it off, but what color do you think?

Here's a picture at the show and the headlight bucket.

DSC02372_zps70353832.jpg

DSC02379_zpsd106212e.jpg

This is not an original Boss 302, but I made it a Boss 351 even though they didn't have it in 69.

The part of the headlight bucket that sits behind the grill is what the gentleman was referring too. The color is the same as the body, but its a rough dark texture type. I didn't paint the car, so I don't know why it's that off color. I'm not going to dismantle the bucket just to paint it and thought it might look more presentable if painted the same color as the engine bay.

What do you think?

semi gloss black. i believe it is called out in the 69 assembly manuals. i think 95% of mustangs (not referring to the dark colored cars) i see haven't reapplied this (similar to pinch welds).

your picture is at an angle, so the grill covers it. however you have what appears to be a dark color.

Buckeye, thanks so much for taking the time to upload the pics. It looks like semi-gloss is the best option. I understand what the man was trying to say, the inner part of the headlight bucket does look a little undone. Thank you everyone!

I prefer to use the exterior body color myself, Shows you went to the level of detail to at least take the car apart before you painted it not just a tape and shoot

the blackout of the inner headlamp is what's in question (so the grill area is dark/black).