Sign in to follow this  
RPM

Finish on Mild Steel Gas Tank

I bought the 1970 22 gal mild steel gas tank from NPD. What have you guys done to keep rust away, or what do you recommend? I can't remember what the oem looked like when I removed it 15 years ago.

Bob

Sheesh, I've got a couple of cans of it and never thought of using it. Thanks for waking me up 70769. Nice town Littleton. I know a gal who lived there till she moved to Gulf Breeze, Fl.

Bob

Thanks for the link and product tip 70fastbak! I'd never heard of it before. The product info says it protects the metal for many months. Does it need to re applied occasionally?

Bob

Thanks for the tip on the Boeshield Demon. Being 58 I do believe the fe tank will outlive me :)

Bob

the stainless vs. steel was about looks and not having to work at preserving the new finish at all. my car almost never sees moisture so i could probably leave it all in bare metal and it too would outlive me (i'm 37....).

Locally we have a commercial electroplating place.

They do a cadmium plating that will make the parts look like the new silver bolts you get at the hardware store.

For ease of cleanup, rust protection, and looks I have had a bunch of the parts from my car plated. Typically a 5 gal bucket. Costs $75 to $100 to have done.

You could see if there is a place like that locally to you

Bob

The O.E. tanks were made from Galvanized steel ... I assumed the re-pops were as well.

If in fact the re-pops are "galvanized" like original, I'd think that that is all the protection you need for a gas tank on any car that is mostly driven in fair weather.

Doug

Thanks for the link and product tip 70fastbak! I'd never heard of it before. The product info says it protects the metal for many months. Does it need to re applied occasionally?

Bob

Ive used it quite a lot and ive never had to re apply it.

My cars are not driven in any kind of rain tho, which im sure yours wont be either.

It does dry with a slight tacky feel, once the solvents evaporate it feels waxy.

Figured if its good enough for the aerospace industry its good enough for my mustang, lol.

It was developed by boeing !

My cars are not driven in any kind of rain tho, which im sure yours wont be either.

The 69 is currently the only car I own and will be my daily driver. Rain??? On average we get less than 6 inches per year (that's what she said). This year we're at 3".

All good advice guys, thanks. Looks like I've got some research and work to do.

Bob

Bob,

As far as my project goes, like you, I want to be able to drive it in the rain if need be. Or let's say I do not want to feel all stressed if I get caught in the rain during a road trip.

I used bedliner to undercoat my fuel tank (non-stainless) just like for the car's undercarriage, and epoxy paint (silver) for the side that shows in the trunk.

image_zps5bb95a8c.jpg

image_zps48adebd3.jpg

The 69 is currently the only car I own and will be my daily driver. Rain??? On average we get less than 6 inches per year (that's what she said). This year we're at 3".

All good advice guys, thanks. Looks like I've got some research and work to do.

Bob

Hahaha....you don't wanna hear what mine says.

I wasn't meaning I had multiple cars either.

I just meant id used it on some of my past cars ive owned and never reapplied.

I have a chevy truck (can I say chevy on here) with 220,000 miles on her and the mustang im building.

Bob,

As far as my project goes, like you, I want to be able to drive it in the rain if need be. Or let's say I do not want to feel all stressed if I get caught in the rain during a road trip.

I used bedliner to undercoat my fuel tank (non-stainless) just like for the car's undercarriage, and epoxy paint (silver) for the side that shows in the trunk.

image_zps5bb95a8c.jpg

image_zps48adebd3.jpg

Your tank turned out very nice. I've sent them out and had them powder coated.

Bob,

image_zps5bb95a8c.jpg

image_zps48adebd3.jpg

Whats the wire for that comes up at the back of the tank?

Sender unit?

I remember a hole in that area but I welded in a replacement panel without the hole.

I was going to leave it as is but maybe I should drill a hole...(not talking about the wife either) :offtopic:

Yes it is good to go for me. 'Ol stangs-R-me nailed it on the galvanized. Seems like I was 37 last year Buckeye, don't blink! As I said earlier, lots of good tips here guys, thank you.

Bob

Good to know they are still using galvanized sheeting !!

It usually holds up pretty well in even the harshest elements, so I see no need to go with Stainless on a mostly fair-weather car now.

My original Georgia car gas tank was dented up so I replaced it with a mid-west car tank back in the 80's. Gavanizing on this rust-belt tank was still in pretty good shape, but I think I sprayed the bottom side with a galvanizing or silver paint to make it look better. I've been tempted to buy a new tank lately, but when I heard "bare steel" in this thread you had me thinking !!

Well, a new tank is still on my shopping list then.

Doug

When I received it I test fit it right away. It had some sort of product to either help in the pressing during manufacturing or for protection after, who knows. Anyway I didn't look to closely at the finish and just figured it was to protect unfinished metal. I should have cleaned it up and done some homework before posting. But I did learn about a cool metal protection product.

Bib