Sign in to follow this  
Zipppo

1970 M Code non Mach 1 Shaker car

This car was special ordered. Came with 351 M Code 3 speed and 3:00 9 inch. Per Marti report as well as shaker, sportslats, power steering, power disc brakes. The car when ordered in my view was to get around the crazy expensive auto insurance premiums of the times. The car now has a 4 speed and 3:25 traction lock rear that was purchased over the counter the same day the car was ordered. The car is such a sleeper less bling and plenty of zing.

Edited by Zipppo

Thank you!

I have added the sportdeack read seat or fold down as it is more often called. I have a correct tilt steering column and AM/FM radio that will be going in soon. I carefully stored all of the original parts like the three speed and shifter along with the 3:00 carrier. All of the add on can easily be removed if so desired. I have the 14x7 wheels and caps that are the originals to the car also the rear deck lid with no spoiler painted at the same time so it matches exactly.

Thank you.

I dive recreationally. Have since I was 15.

My dad was a U.S. Navy Salvage Diver for 32 years retired Master Chief.

The plates were special ordered by him years ago. he was twice bitten by sharks in his career hence the nick name. I put them on the car as they are unique and when he and I get together he smiles when he sees his old plates..

I love the special order oddballs. Who orders a shaker but keeps the 3-speed manual? It's fun trying to figure the logic of what is going through people's heads 45 years ago as they were checking the boxes.

I love the special order oddballs. Who orders a shaker but keeps the 3-speed manual? It's fun trying to figure the logic of what is going through people's heads 45 years ago as they were checking the boxes.

This guy was smart. He beat the insurance company at their game. Any performance model ie Mach 1 or 428 or 4 speed or Traction lock or more than a 3:00 rear gear was a flag to the insurance agent and bam they nailed you. I love it. The guy orders the car 351 M code with air with all of the goodies on it and goes right to the parts counter and orders the 4 speed and 3:25 traction lock ha ingenious and puts them on the car and saves all the OEM parts. Yeah digging my oddball car.

Thanks

Agreed - there are some odd combos out there. My 70 has the shaker, tach, tilt, fold down, convenience group, am fm, AC, ps, pdb, intermittent wipers, heck even bumper guards - and is a 351c-2v H code. The ford exec that ordered it got the car for a big discount but wanted better mileage. Grabber orange, shaker, single exhaust!

front is lowered 2 inches. Shelby drop and lowering springs. The rear 3 inches with lowering blocks,

Front wheels Appliance wheels 15x7 4.25 back spacing 235/60/15 B.F. Goodrich radial TA's

Rear wheels Appliance wheels 15x10 custom 5 and 3/4 backspacing 275/60/15 B.F. Goodrich radial TA"s

I saved these wheels I had made up years ago at a wheel shop to get the right look if I may. Appliance wheels are very similar to the Cragar wheels but better. The wheels are all steel not pot metal and easy to break like the cragars. Downside is they are heavy.

Thanks hope that helps

That does help, thank you very much. I have a 69 coupe that I have lowered but I was looking for wheel and tire sizes to give it that aggressive look. Do you know the offset on the rims? Did you have to modify fenders or Leaf springs on the back?

Edited by JXL

It is all stated above. But I pulled the specs for you here you go.

front is lowered 2 inches. 1 and 3/4 Shelby drop and 1" front lowering springs. That will equate to a real 2" drop. The actual 2 and 3/4 number in reality is 2" no more no matter what they claim. I have done this drop on 20 plus 69 and 70 Mustangs and get always 100% true 2" inch drop.

The rear 3 inches with lowering blocks.

No roller fender lips no banging of inner rear panels for fitment.

Front wheels Appliance wheels 15x7 4.25 backspacing .

Rear wheels Appliance wheels 15x10 custom 5 and 3/4 backspacing.

No rubbing nothing. I am not a big fan of the rack and pinion and coil over conversions as in my opinion ruin the value of the car. Once that has been done it is hard, .Hard to return to stock again just my point of view and works for me. I respect others that do all sorts of stuff to these cars just not my way. If the shelby drop worked for the vintage Trans AM racers should be fine for the street.

Edited by Zipppo