Sign in to follow this  
RPM

Heater Hose Firewall Holes

Boy, say that three times real fast :)

Anywho, I bought the grommet set for my non a/c heater, and looking at the holes in the firewall something ain't right. No way the grommets will fit. The holes are not a clean punched hole, but have edges which protrude into the engine bay. Did I get a one off car, or are all the holes like this? What did you guys do, grommets, no grommets, use something else? Thanks.

Bob

Mine are the same way. I bought those grommets and can't use then either.

Look around on the web it looks like some of the cars ( more the 70s ) have the cleaner holes that use the grommets and the 69s have the ones like we have ( not sure about where the change over is) but the cars like ours just used a black puddy sealer that was put on around the hose on the firewall.

If it was my car and it was a total hot rod and I didn't care about originality I would either punch the holes clean and use the grommet or better yet I would install a pair of AN bulkhead fittings in the firewall and go that route

Bob

Mine are the same way. I bought those grommets and can't use then either.

Look around on the web it looks like some of the cars ( more the 70s ) have the cleaner holes that use the grommets and the 69s have the ones like we have ( not sure about where the change over is) but the cars like ours just used a black puddy sealer that was put on around the hose on the firewall.

+1 ... 3M strip caulk

This is what the firewall and heater hoses looks like on my 9/19/68 car. Looks like there are grommets in there with the slop over the top ? I think I would give those expensive pieces of rubber a shot. After all there purpose is to protect the hose. Just a thought. Brian

Bob, my non A/C heater hoses look exactly as you describe: punched into the engine bay. And I believe they are supposed to look like this because then, you can use them safely without grommets. They have been like this for at least 20 years (i.e. since I got the car), and never had a single scratch on them.

image_zpsf40c3d10.jpg

image_zpsf51bd68e.jpg

Got to looking at the pictures here and noticed the shape of the holes in the G69 pictures. Re read Rsanter's OE comments. Looked at my pictures and saw a metal lip/edge in the lower hose Went and got a flashlight and dental pick and took a look. Sure enough all metal no grommet just goop. Brian