Sign in to follow this  
miketyler

Reproduction Park and Belts light dash light fixture?

I saw these posted on eBay some months back but haven't seen them in awhile. Does anyone know the dealer thats selling these? They were the lamp housing only, no wires or chrome bezels.

Edited by miketyler

My 69 Coupe has the brake warning light there. Check the link to the NPD catalog & go to page 33 near the top in the center of the page are the warning lights for an overhead console for a 67/68 Mustang they look the same as the 69 except you get all 4. If you need just the chrome bezel it might be a way to go if the red insert is ok just sell the other 3. Hope this helps.

Mike.

http://npd.dirxion.com/WebProject.asp?BookCode=mus14flx&archival=1&from=2#

My 69 Coupe has the brake warning light there.

Mike.

http://npd.dirxion.com/WebProject.asp?BookCode=mus14flx&archival=1&from=2#

Now I'm confused as to what that hole is for. I went through my instrument cluster and one of the warning lights is a brake light. Could it be a parking break or seatbelt light. Seems a little early in the game for a seatbelt light.

Now I'm confused as to what that hole is for. I went through my instrument cluster and one of the warning lights is a brake light. Could it be a parking break or seatbelt light. Seems a little early in the game for a seatbelt light.

Did your car have a factory tach? The combination of options is what made the factory install lights for park or brake light come onto the dash. For instance, my 1970 Mach has the Tach, deluxe seatbelts, and convenience group. The convenience group included a parking brake light, which had to be installed in the lower dash since I had a tach cluster w/o the "BRAKE" lens. My car also had deluxe seatbelts, which had a timed reminder light in the lower dash. It turns off after a few seconds.

Did your car have a factory tach? The combination of options is what made the factory install lights for park or brake light come onto the dash. For instance, my 1970 Mach has the Tach, deluxe seatbelts, and convenience group. The convenience group included a parking brake light, which had to be installed in the lower dash since I had a tach cluster w/o the "BRAKE" lens. My car also had deluxe seatbelts, which had a timed reminder light in the lower dash. It turns off after a few seconds.

Yes .....I have a tach. The idiot lights in the cluster are as follows....Brake System, Oil and Alt. So...would the hole above the ignition and wiper be for seatbelts or parking brake? What does the "brake system" in the dash do? How do you know if you have deluxe seatbelts?

Thanks,

Dave

Yes .....I have a tach. The idiot lights in the cluster are as follows....Brake System, Oil and Alt. So...would the hole above the ignition and wiper be for seatbelts or parking brake? What does the "brake system" in the dash do? How do you know if you have deluxe seatbelts?

Thanks,

Dave

Deluxe seatbelts have a chrome trim ring around the buckle in 1969 and are a brushed aluminum in 1970. The "Brake System" I believe is tied to the switch built into your proportional valve.

Mike,

As far as I know these are not reproduced in any fashion. The 67/78 bezels are the same but the wording on the red lens are different. The 67/68 says "Park" and "Seat", instead of the correct 69/70 "Brake" and "Belts". You could use something safe to plastic to remove the lettering and stencil your own on though. You are SOL in terms of getting new wiring though. Used is the only method, and they don't come cheap!

Deluxe seatbelts have a chrome trim ring around the buckle in 1969 and are a brushed aluminum in 1970. The "Brake System" I believe is tied to the switch built into your proportional valve.

Yes ... the "Brake" light in the cluster is for the switch in the distribution block (all Mustangs have this).

The Brake Light by the ignition switch is for the Parking Brake "ON" Warning Light that came with the Convenience Group Option (both Tach & Non-Tach cars) that is triggered by a switch on the parking brake assy.

The Seat Belt Light by the Ignition is used on Tach cars only and comes with the Deluxe (chrome bezel buckles) Seat Belt Option.

On Non-Tach cars with the Deluxe Seat Belt Option the Seat Belt Light is in the Cluster.

Doug

Yes ... the "Brake" light in the cluster is for the switch in the distribution block (all Mustangs have this).

The Brake Light by the ignition switch is for the Parking Brake "ON" Warning Light that came with the Convenience Group Option (both Tach & Non-Tach cars) that is triggered by a switch on the parking brake assy.

The Seat Belt Light by the Ignition is used on Tach cars only and comes with the Deluxe (chrome bezel buckles) Seat Belt Option.

On Non-Tach cars with the Deluxe Seat Belt Option the Seat Belt Light is in the Cluster.

Doug

Thanks for the clarification! Good info.

Any idea what the light means when it comes on in the instrument cluster? Does it mean low brake fluid or lost of pressure?

great info btw!

I think I read that it senses differential pressure at the junction block although it wasn't clear to me what that meant and how that was a signaled defect in the brake system.

I assure you all the lamp housing is/was repo'd. I wish I had saved the picture. It was like new with a shiny zinc-like coating. Maybe someone on VMF remembers seeing them on eBay. Seems like they ran that auction for a month or two with lame sales.

Any idea what the light means when it comes on in the instrument cluster? Does it mean low brake fluid or lost of pressure?

The light comes on when there is a measurable difference in pressure between the front and back brake lines. A leak in one, for example. There is a piston in the distribution block that sits between the two circuits and is nominally centered. When the pressure drops on one side, the piston moves off-center, activates the push button switch attached, and lights the light. The problem with this set-up is that routine brake work displaces the piston, and age and corrosion impedes it's functionality, and the utility of the switch is lost. Most classic Mustangs had the light disconnected because the light would never go out, even after the brakes were serviced.

I tried like crazy to reset mine, then to rebuild it, with no luck. So I disconnected the connector, satisfied that my brakes are ok

Would anyone have the hole location spec on where the "Belts" warning light indicator was located on a 70 car? I think Buening had posted it at one point and I know I saved it but cant find it. Thanks in advance

Just noticed this. If you need any other measurements let me know. I have a spare lower dash in my basement with the factory punched holes. It even has the punched pieces still attached

Here's my lights installed in the dash (I realize they're not in the right spots). Question for the group - any idea why my "Belts" light looks different from others? 1970 Mach 1 Built in December of '69, Dearborn plant. Shows "Deluxe Belts" on the Marti Report and I can't see why this would ever have been changed out.

photo3_zps1d0feca7.jpg