kevin31

High voltage issue

Today, I drove with the car for 2hours, and I found the battery had swollen. Some acid sprayed out int the engine bay.

I have this regulator installed in the car

http://www.cjponyparts.com/voltage-regulator-blue-with-correct-yellow-autolite-stamping-1968-1970/p/VR4/

Do you know if it can be adjusted or not?

Or, what can be the problem? I mean everything is brand new in the engine bay ( alternator, regulator, wiring....). All ground are good and clean...

Thanks for your help

If that part is manufactured by AMK, be forewarned that they are notorious for being bad. Get yourself a Motorcraft or electronic VR.

In the meantime, get yourself to a good autoparts store and have them check out your charging system: they can diagnose what component is wrong.

I have ordered it. I will see if it will work better or not.

But for the time being, does somebody know if the autolite can be adjusted?

I Cannot keep the car in the garage!! :):)

Your voltage regulator is broken. I once had a friend who had this same problem. Not knowing what it was, he wanted to show it to me... so he pops the hood, revs the engine and the battery explodes all over me. Very painful and I was lucky it didn't get in my eyes. My clothes literally disintegrated.

david

Bringing this thread back to life.

I bought a BWD electronic VR p/n BR400 from O'Reillys today with the intention of removing the the cover and putting on the factory looking blue VR cover. Unfortunately the BWD cover is glued on and cannot be removed without damaging the VR. Does anyone know if the Motorcraft electronic VR cover is glued on or can they cover be removed? I think the Motorcraft p/n is GR540B.  Thank you!

I wouldn't worry about the voltage regulator cover unless you are competing in a concourse show.  Most people change over to the small case 3G alternator and eliminate the fender mounted voltage regulator completely.  I consider myself a purist with these cars except when the old technology items don't work very well and cause problems.