ksquared

Ditch the shock towers?

In discussing some stuff with the shop doing some resto work on my Mach, it was suggested that the shock towers be removed and replaced with an M2 kit (I assume that means Mustang II). They said it could be done for around $2500. Engine going in is a 428 with headers and I know that's a tight fit. My goal is to make the car handle well enough to not embarrass me when I get it on with Vettes, Porsches, BMW's, etc. It would be better if I could embarrass them :yes: Anyone do this kind of a mod? Was it worth it for improved handling? btw - I know the 428 is heavy but mine went on an aluminum diet & lost about 125lbs. It looks like Heidt makes a kit. Anyone else? I'll do my research but I will appreciate any feedback.

You may have knocked 125lbs off on your motor, but FE's are still heavy. There are tons of different style aftermarket suspensions you can put on your car. A MII frontend is very old school. Much better solutions out there. I run factory style suspension (Global West tubular upper control arms with negative camber, roller spring perches, boxed stock lower control arms and 620lb springs up front. Running an iron block 351W stroker with aluminum head and intake, my car handles pretty damn well if I do say so.

A lot of people has done it, but in my mind, there are better options to get the car to handle out there. The Mustang II suspension is a 40 years old design by now. I'm not a fan of cutting away a structural piece like the shock towers, and then place a BB on the frames alone, with no braces on top. I've said this before, and I'll say it again, if you want the car to handle, you gotta go get some subframe connectors. A stiff platform will let the suspension work, without having to deal with chassis twist. I have the TCP setup, and is very happy with it. The coil-over suspension cost $2611 in their webshop, but that does not include the rack 'n pinion.

Edit: Maxum96 - Looks like we're on the same page.

Thanks guys for your thoughts. Yes, FE's are heavy but I have mine "down" to 633 lbs from 758. HP should be in the 550 range. I'll check out the stuff you mention but it looks like the TCP setup retains the shock towers. Is that also true for the Global West product?

Thanks Chuck. All good info. My initial concern was fitting the 428 with headers in the Mustang. A guy at the shop suggested the Mustang II approach. Notching the towers sounds like a good idea for now. I need to get this never-ending project running. The other stuff can come a little later.

Thanks guys for your thoughts. Yes, FE's are heavy but I have mine "down" to 633 lbs from 758. HP should be in the 550 range. I'll check out the stuff you mention but it looks like the TCP setup retains the shock towers. Is that also true for the Global West product?

Yeah, that's why we like them!

How does one get a picture to show with a post? Maxum's pics for instance?

Those are signature pictures. You can edit you signature at the "User CP" button at the top left of the forum webpage.

To post images in thread post, you must use the Advanced text box and the image icon on the top.

That sorta worked but not what I expected. I have an image in my signature via the User CP function. Haven't found the "Advanced text box" yet.

Edited by ksquared
Clarify

It was a 351W 4bbl car. I bought a 428CJ engine years ago to swap in. I know - I could stroke the Windsor to 427. My plan now is to stroke the Windsor to 418 & put it in my 75 Bronco in place of the original 302.

So if I understand, keep the shock towers but notch them (forget the Mustang II idea). Go with more modern coil overs & rack & pinion sometime later. That a good approach? (Bet there's no stinkin picture :no:)

I had done the big block mod to my towers, along with tcp front suspension. I was very pleased with the results. The car handled better then ever. Now I just done the r&c m2 front end. I like the look but have yet to test it out. If it's an original 428 car it would be left all stock. I found the tcp is very easy to do, basically all nut and bolt. The m2 front end is a fair amount of work and bit more money. Hope this helps. Bad ass looking motor btw!!

I also am building a 428CJ car. Originally a S code car, i ditched my towers and went with a TCI setup. It's not done so I can't comment on the handling but I went with stiffer springs on the front & rear. My daily driver is a Porsche 911S, so I gotta have something that can take a curve.